Willie Hoppe's Cue
Old
  (#1)
RoadHustler
AzB Silver Member
RoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Willie Hoppe's Cue - 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM

So I finally got a reasonably priced copy of Billiards As it should be Played by Willie Hoppe printed in 1941. I payed 30 bucks on ebay and it was totally worth it. What immediately struck me was his cue it is slightly different than any of the Brunswick Titlist Hoppe cues I have seen. I figured you folks would enjoy the photos.

Here is a photo from the book of Hoppe style cues.

Garrett Williams
blog.roadhustler.com
twitter.com/Rdhustler

You have a right to play, not a right to win.

Old
  (#2)
avscue
AzB Silver Member
avscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond reputeavscue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-18-2011, 09:16 PM

cool book isn't it. i have one with PALMER CUES stamped in it

Old
  (#3)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

07-18-2011, 09:39 PM

[QUOTE=RoadHustler;3110984]So I finally got a reasonably priced copy of Billiards As it should be Played by Willie Hoppe printed in 1941. I payed 30 bucks on ebay and it was totally worth it. What immediately struck me was his cue it is slightly different than any of the Brunswick Titlist Hoppe cues I have seen. I figured you folks would enjoy the photos.

The reason that cue is different is because it was customized for Willie by Herman Rambow. The extra section that looks jointed was most likely where weight was added for balance, or to shorten the cue for different Billiards games.

All I can say for certain is that any cue that Willie used publicly was modified by Rambow. Willie Hoppe and many others were sponsored by Brunswick and part of that sponsorship was using Brunswick's equipment, tables, balls, cues and anything else Pool or Billiards related.

When Rambow quit working for Brunswick in the 1920 and started Superior Billiards he lost all his famous clients, this was during the time that he invented and patented the Hub Cue. Herman was forced out of business by Brunswick just a few years after he started his company and ended up going back to work for Brunswick. Again from this point until his retirement he was the only man who modified cues for those sponsored by Brunswick.

So plainly and without a doubt the cue pictured was built or modified for Willie Hoppe by Herman Rambow.

Hope this helps and by the way nice pictures.

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Old
  (#4)
Mr Hoppe
Sawdust maker
Mr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

07-19-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHustler View Post
So I finally got a reasonably priced copy of Billiards As it should be Played by Willie Hoppe printed in 1941. I payed 30 bucks on ebay and it was totally worth it. What immediately struck me was his cue it is slightly different than any of the Brunswick Titlist Hoppe cues I have seen. I figured you folks would enjoy the photos.
Another reason this cue doesn't look like a "Titlist Hoppe" is that there may have been no such thing as a Titlist at the time. Brunswick's 4 point 4 veneer cue may have still been known as the Carom King at the time this picture was taken.

The model 26.5 changed names to the Carom King in '39 and lasted for only a couple of years. I don't know the exact year the Titlist was introduced, but I believe it was '41 or '42. In either event, it looks like that cue Willie Hoppe is holding in the photo doesn't have veneers, so it's a different model cue all together.

BTW, I have a pristine copy of this book that I bought off of e-bay for a whopping $8!

Mr H

"You're on the Internet you dipstick, look it up." - PDCue

JCIN: "Shane what do you think about Barack Obama?" Shane: "He can't beat me."

The above comments are my opinion, and in no way reflect the opinion or views of AZ Billiards, it's ownership, or it's management.

Last edited by Mr Hoppe; 07-20-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Old
  (#5)
9ballrob
AzB Gold Member

9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

07-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Here is a early Rambow cue that is about identical to the one shown in Hoppe's hands. This cue was owned by Earle Lookabaugh, a world class 3-cushion billiard player, who played against all the greats in the 1920s. I have a picture of him holding this cue in 1921 which was the year he won the National Amateur 3-cushion championship and then turned professional. The picture I have shows the cue before the weight was added.

Totally
Old
  (#6)
RoadHustler
AzB Silver Member
RoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Totally - 07-20-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ballrob View Post
Here is a early Rambow cue that is about identical to the one shown in Hoppe's hands.
Wow that's really cool. It does look allot like the one he uses in the book just the width of the ring above the points is different. Even the slight lip where the wrap meets the wood on the top is the same. Check out one of the masse photos later in the book you can see it there if i have time ill post the photo tomorrow.

Garrett Williams
blog.roadhustler.com
twitter.com/Rdhustler

You have a right to play, not a right to win.

Old
  (#7)
worktheknight
AzB Silver Member

worktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-21-2011, 04:14 AM

Thanks for this thread, really interesting and I appreciate the time everyone is taking to post the photo's. Great Viewing and reading. Thanks Again

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: