FS: - Beware of Cue Case Knockoffs - Ebook

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Price $1.

This book contains information as to WHY you should be wary of buying knockoff cue cases.

Topics include Copyright, trademark and patent law, knockoffs vs. counterfeits, cue protection, case construction, warranties, responsibility of brand owners and lack of responsibility for knockoff makers.

Knowing this information can save you hundreds in repair costs and thousands if the damaged cue is a collectible since any repair deducts from the value. You can learn to invest wisely in a durable case that protects your cue properly every moment of every day.

This book covers Whitten knockoffs, Instroke knockoffs, Justis knockoffs, Porper knockoffs, JB Case knockoffs and other brands. Also general case construction will be covered in detail. When done you will be a case expert able to spot the deficiencies in knockoffs and save you and your friends money.

Send $1 to paypal@jbideas.com and on Aug 20th I will email you this book. And you can have lifetime revisions for free as I will certainly be adding to it since knockoffs never stop being made.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Oops. Sorry Mods I meant to put this in the Wanted and For Sale Section. Please move at your convenience.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Times are kinda of tough around these parts, Can I make installments on that?

What if someone knocks off your EBook John?
That would be a p isser eh?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Times are kinda of tough around these parts, Can I make installments on that?

What if someone knocks off your EBook John?
That would be a p isser eh?

That would be great actually. Here is a nice little story about the BCA and knockoffs.

As most of you know the Billiard Congress of America puts on the annual Billiard and Home Recreation Expo. The actual adminstration and booth sales are handled by a contractor. So one year a 50 booth block was sold to a company from China. This company specialized in selling space to small factories in China who could not afford to come to the BCA or who could not come because of denied visas. So basically this is a mega-booth featuring products from companies who normally have little to no access to the Western market. The company that bought all this booth space has ZERO connection to the billiard industry either. They are simply resellers of the giant space they purchased, at an exorbiant markup as well by promising these small factories access to buyers from around the world. So the both the BCA and this company were scamming but that's another topic.

Anyway in the mega-booth there were all sorts of crappy products including shitty knockoffs of famous cue designs and table designs. And of course the BCA didn't care at all.

But the funniest thing was that as you walked up to the main entrance to mega-crappy-land they had a magazine rack filled with books for sale. And prominently displayed at the top was a KNOCKOFF of the BCA's Rule Book.

And no one from the BCA noticed it until I pointed it out. Then mysteriously an hour later it was gone.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Someone here was selling a Whitten knock off many moons ago.
I looked at the pics and thought it looked pretty good.

Some time later, I bought a Whitten knock off from Delta Sports on the Bay. Crusade model which if I remember, was the same model as the was being sold on AZ.
It was cheap enuff but with shipping and I got nailed on duty this time around, I ended up paying $120 for a case that I might be very lucky to get a 50 spot for if I sold it locally. Pics look good but not so good in person.

Last edited:

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
It would be kinda cool to include a little history of the evolution of the cue case also....like how we got from there to here. :smile:

Lisa

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Someone here was selling a Whitten knock off many moons ago.
I looked at the pics and thought it looked pretty good.

Some time later, I bought a Whitten knock off from Delta Sports on the Bay. Crusade model which if I remember, was the same model as the was being sold on AZ.
It was cheap enuff but with shipping and I got nailed on duty this time around, I ended up paying $120 for a case that I might be very lucky to get a 50 spot for if I sold it locally. Pics look good but not so good in person.

That seller just listed a bunch of ads here in the last day or two. My mom taught me a long time ago, you generally get what you pay for. :eek:

Lisa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It would be kinda cool to include a little history of the evolution of the cue case also....like how we got from there to here. :smile:

Lisa

Hey now, every budding author knows not to give away everything in the first book. But good idea. I might include some information about cue case history. God knows I have written enough about it.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Hey now, every budding author knows not to give away everything in the first book. But good idea. I might include some information about cue case history. God knows I have written enough about it.

That's what I was thinkin'. ;)

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Would this not be beneficial enough to your actual cue case building business such that you would simply give your potential customers the info?

Seems the more aware you can make the potential case customers out there of this type of stuff the more you win, and the more the conterfeit builders lose from a more aware consumer base that can spot the fakes, avoid them, and by saving that money and avoiding buying a fake case very possibly buy one of the real ones.

If I were you I would want this info read by everyone out there that wanted to read it, would not be charging a dime, it would be on my website as a free download.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Would this not be beneficial enough to your actual cue case building business such that you would simply give your potential customers the info?

Seems the more aware you can make the potential case customers out there of this type of stuff the more you win, and the more the conterfeit builders lose from a more aware consumer base that can spot the fakes, avoid them, and by saving that money and avoiding buying a fake case very possibly buy one of the real ones.

If I were you I would want this info read by everyone out there that wanted to read it, would not be charging a dime, it would be on my website as a free download.

People don't value what they get for free. If they did then we wouldn't have a problem with the economy or knockoff products. Also my business is fine. I just want to gather all my writing on these subjects into one reference book. I am sure that anyone who needs to receive my book without being charged for it will get it for free :)

But actually the reason I charged a buck is so that it would be an actual FOR SALE item in the Wanted/For Sale section. I just messed up and accidentally posted it in the main forum.

Last edited:

Jerry Forsyth

JB, clue me in. Last week there was a news item on CNBC where they went into an Apple store in downtown Beijing. After they left that store they went to another Apple store two blocks away to do the same thing. There they learned that the first Apple store was a counterfeit store in every way. All of the products were counterfeit Apple goods, but they looked identical. The employees all wore the Apple uniform, the layout was identical to a real Apple store, even the genius bar, everything.

Then they found out that of the four Apple stores they were scheduled to visit, three of them were phony. No way a customer could have known.

And the Chinese government sees no problem here? They have left the stores alone.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB, clue me in. Last week there was a news item on CNBC where they went into an Apple store in downtown Beijing. After they left that store they went to another Apple store two blocks away to do the same thing. There they learned that the first Apple store was a counterfeit store in every way. All of the products were counterfeit Apple goods, but they looked identical. The employees all wore the Apple uniform, the layout was identical to a real Apple store, even the genius bar, everything.

Then they found out that of the four Apple stores they were scheduled to visit, three of them were phony. No way a customer could have known.

And the Chinese government sees no problem here? They have left the stores alone.

They're doing it with IKEA stores too:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/01/china-ikea-copy-newest-ex_n_914893.html

Lou Figueroa

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
John - isn't this you talking bad about another case maker? Sounds like you lost your bet and it's time to pay up.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
LOA's

We've all pretty much seen the issues in the forum with the case knock-offs...and now there's been a recent issue with a knock-off/copy of well-known cuemaker's cue recently for sale by a well-respected seller here on AZ (he admitted that he found out it was a "fake" after he was duped and KUDOS to him for admitting his oversight). Heck, we even have recent threads dedicated to higher end tip knock-offs!

Does this mean we're going to need to get a Letter of Authenticity for everything we buy now...including each and every $12.50 tip...oh wait...then we'll have to deal with knock-off/bogus LOA's.

Looks like the only way around it is educating ourselves and only buying from reputable sources...Kudos to you for steering people in the right direction here...

Jason

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John - isn't this you talking bad about another case maker? Sounds like you lost your bet and it's time to pay up.

No. Giving out factual information is not trash talking. You haven't even see the book yet and already a critic :)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I haven't seen that story. The fake Apple store found in the other province was closed by the government. It was fake store selling REAL Apple merchandise.

The first thing you need to understand about China is that there are a LOT of people. The government cannot possibly control all these people. The second thing you need to understand about China is that there are a LOT of relationships that go back hundreds of years. Because of these two things the laws that are on the books are not always enforced as you would expect them to be.

The third thing you have to understand about China is that the Chinese people themselves don't really see a problem with copying. Copying is a way of life to them and it's expected. If you are a businessman in China and you don't copy others then you are seen as stupid and weak. Chinese people think that ideas are meant to be acted on by whomever can and will act on them. They don't care who had the idea first or what that person is doing with it.

Having said that though modern Chinese companies whose brands are gaining traction and those who create literary and entertainment works are finding out the economic impact of seeing their work copied and pirated. So they are putting pressure on the government to enforce the laws on the books. But refer to point one and two above to understand why this is difficult.

So back to the Apple stores. Most authorized Apple resellers in China decorate their stores to look like Apple stores. So it's no stretch that anyone who makes a fake one would decorate their store the same way. I hadn't read or heard of the Beijing story so if you have a link that would be great. The problem with these stories is that you rarely see the followup. So I would need to read the story and then see the followup. The Chinese police regularly bust stores selling fakes and destroy the fakes. So if nothing was done to the stores profiled then there is another side to the story. The Chinese government hates to lose face and so they would close an offending store on that angle alone if the publicity about it was strong enough.

China is in many ways the Wild West of intellectual property at the moment. It's tough to do business here without getting knocked off and counterfeited. But, it's also a huge market where a brand can sell more of the real thing than anywhere else in the world. With a consumptive middle class of 300 million strong there is plenty of business for real brands and pirates alike. The fact is that people who buy counterfeit goods often pay double because once they find that they bought a fake they go and buy the real thing anyway.

Two days ago I was in a billiards store here which is selling fake McDermotts, Poison and Predator cues among others. The only way to combat this is public awareness.