AZB Room - Celebrity Raffle - Match with Pool Royalty - long

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
To all those who failed to enter the raffle – YOU REALLY MISSED IT!!! We initially planned an intimate little get together in the AZB room with the winner of the raffle to play against Jeanette Lee. JL then recruited her husband George Breedlove to play and we began advertising the “Scotch Doubles” idea.

On the Friday of the raffle, I spoke with Greg Sullivan and Mark Griffin (the organizers of the DCC) who were very supportive of the idea of getting our match on the television table if we could gain the approval of Pat Fleming and Rob Sykora. It only took about 2 hours to wheedle the approval from Pat and Rob, figure out the logistics, order the pizza, and get back to the AZB room at about 10:30.

Unfortunately, a message was waiting from Jeanette that George was NOT going to be able to play (the match and timing was ALWAYS contingent on the DCC tournament situation). I told Jeanette that we could just cancel the match and return the money to the participants. She told me, “no, I agreed to play, I’ll find you a replacement.” I suggested Jeff Beckley or Nesli O’Hare who are friends of hers and superior players. She said, “lets go to the tournament room, I’ll get Efren to play.”

We found Efren relaxing in his flip-flops, ready to go to bed (still in the running for the 9-ball and all-around titles early the next morning). Jeanette explained the true fanaticism of the AZB’ers, and must have used several threats or used up several favors, but Efren agreed to do it for the AZB fans (and also agreed to play some cheap sets of 8-ball with JL while waiting for the raffle). Jeanette did request that we give the bulk of the prize money to Efren, and I agreed. Efren did say that he would need to play as soon as possible (and this is why we drew the names before the stated 11:30 PM time – if someone not present had won the early drawing we WOULD HAVE WAITED UNTIL 11:30 for that person).

I went back to the AZB room, and explained the situation to the raffle contestants; and it seemed that all were willing to accept Jeanette Lee’s last minute substitute – these AZB’ers just have hearts of gold. Breakup bought 5 tickets, I bought 6, sodapopd bought 4. I couldn’t think of any way to rig the drawing in my favor, so it was with GREAT trepidation that goingproin07 drew the first winner (who would get to choose his celebrity partner). I was ECSTATIC that my name was chosen first, then mthornto second. I was considering selling my spot to help promote interest in the AZB room, but after advice from stevelomako (who said I would remember it the rest of my life, and then threatened me with physical injury if I sold it) I decided to keep the spot and play (Steve is bigger than me).

My sincerest apologies to those few people who lost the raffle and were not present for the drawing – but it was the only way we could make this happen. We wanted very much to cater to Efren’s wishes as much as possible (so maybe he will do it again next year).

When we arrived at the television table, we found a PACKED house watching Efren and Jeanette play 8-ball. I can’t speak for mthornto, but I was PETRIFIED at the thought of playing in front of all those people – I’ve only been playing 3 ½ years seriously, and my game is NOT something I want to show off on BCN. The waiting was tough.

There were a gang of AZB’ers who took spots in the first few rows, so at least there were some familiar faces. JL and ER finished their game, and the AZB Celebrity Scotch Doubles Match was on.

JL confirmed that all barking, sharking, and woofing were permitted, if not in fact encouraged. Efren and I discussed the situation; and decided that our opponents were so extremely feeble that we could easily spot them the breaks (don’t believe JL’s claims that she needed to practice her break for the next morning’s IPT qualifier).

The opponents broke, and ran all the way to the 8 ball in the first rack. JL missed position on the 8, leaving MT virtually no shot. After a prolonged period of indecision, the opponents asked Efren for advice; but no wizardry could get them out of their jam; and it was our first turn at the table.

As I walked to the table for my first shot it became apparent that some sneaky prankster had substituted basketballs for the pool balls; there seemed NO WAY that any of those balls could fit in those tiny pockets. Even though all of those balls were open, I felt certain I would miss anything I shot at. In addition, I immediately regretted allowing the sharking, because JL was in rare form (ably assisted by MT). Everytime I tried to shoot, there was someone yelling at me from behind me, beside me, or in front of the pocket. JL was dangling her hair in front of my face, or chalking her cue loudly in my ear, or placing the chalk across my face onto the rail on the other side of me. We have photographic evidence of the evil MT sprinkling chalk on the object ball just before I was shooting. I’m quite surprised I ever made a ball. Fortunately, Efren can play a little, and we easily ran out our 3 games in 3 innings (despite our opponents manipulation of the scoring beads while we weren’t looking).

Despite all of the underhanded, despicable, lowlife sharking by the opponents I will have to admit that it was the most memorable pool experience of my life. Jeanette and Efren went out of their way for very little reward – both needing to get up early the next day for important matches. I am very grateful for their participation, and I hope everyone enjoyed the show. We can do it again next year if there is interest.

P.S. - After the match, I challenged Efren to a race to 3 in 9-ball for $100. He said, “will you spot me?” I responded, “you’ll have to play me even if you want any action.” I daresay I’m the only player (and I use that term loosely) that Efren asked for weight the whole week. He easily dispatched me, but to his credit he did try to let me win a couple of games (obvious, but a very nice gesture given the lateness of the hour). I am a BIG fan of Efren and Jeanette – great examples of what the game can be at its best.

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great opportunity for AZB’ers to get a shot at playing possibly the most famous pool players in the sport (ahh....Jeanette and Efren that is). It was really a cool event. Having not finished in the money in the drawing my record for the time being against Efren remains a perfect one. I have never missed a ball against him, maybe that will change next year.

Great job WBM for pulling this off.

Ratchet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad you had such a great time ,You must of picked up where I left off in the felt like a circus dept. And what else can be said for the pro's who joined in to make the room and our experiences reach the magnitude that they did except for maybe "absolutely freakin' awesome" .Sarah Rousey was gracious to offer her time so generously everday ,personally I think she was just hoggin free table time lolol . I walked away feeling that I had made new friends in the professional world . Every single pro I met there was not only accessible but down right friendly to boot .. And the AZ Members each and every one were a pure pleasure to meet even after a couple of us had a minor disagreement we resumed our journeys into the adventure that was both the AZ room and the DCC with no animosity( I think ?) I just wish the world could follow that example....

Just the atmosphere alone made one giddy with anticipation of the unknown it seemed that there was a pro in every corner ,or , around the corner in the case of me heading to the elevator on my floor and almost mowing down Earl Striclkandas we both rounded a corner at the same time and met face to face just inches apart (Sorry Earl ) thats the way it was for me there ,every corner in every hallway in every room presented something to be seen and enjoyed .

I think you should be proud of your accomplishment Don , You and everyone involved in making this event happen...Thank You

Ratchet aka Tom

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great work Willie, Ratchet and all other involved in the AZ + One Pocket room idea!

Ideas can turn into fantastic realities with some hard effort!

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don, you're being overly humble; I watched, and you only missed one ball. Of course I happen to catch you missing that ball in one photo :)

Nice meeting all of you, btw, and I look forward to doing this again next year!
Wardell-Efren-2.jpg

Some more pics of the AZ-1P room and the challenge match are in the AZBilliards-OnePocket.org private room gallery

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
1pocket said:
Don, you're being overly humble; I watched, and you only missed one ball. Of course I happen to catch you missing that ball in one photo :)

SB,
I was very fortunate that Efren left only hangers in the 8ball match for me to shoot. In the 9 ball singles match, I missed that 4 ball in what otherwise would have been THE EASIEST BREAK AND RUN IN THE HISTORY OF 9 BALL. I can't believe how easy that layout was. I have NO IDEA how I missed that ball; but it appears that I must have been sharked by some flash from your camera. Therefore it is your fault, and your apology is accepted. I feel better now about screwing up in front of a huge crowd.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
SB,
I was very fortunate that Efren left only hangers in the 8ball match for me to shoot. In the 9 ball singles match, I missed that 4 ball in what otherwise would have been THE EASIEST BREAK AND RUN IN THE HISTORY OF 9 BALL. I can't believe how easy that layout was. I have NO IDEA how I missed that ball; but it appears that I must have been sharked by some flash from your camera. Therefore it is your fault, and your apology is accepted. I feel better now about screwing up in front of a huge crowd.
Nice try, but there was no flash -- the ball must have skidded :)

You and Thornton should send me a PM with your email addy; pick what you like and I would be happy to print & mail 8x10 or whatever size you want of the pics. That goes for Justin & anyone else who appears in them. If you cover my costs, I'll send the pics. I would prefer that instead of emailing the jpegs.

T

Timberly

Here's our winners TRYING to look calm & relaxed before their challenge match. (Again, I'm sorry for the bad quality) After those are pics of the team members after they paired up.

(behind Efren on the left, the tall guy looking off to the right is Steve Lomako and the guy peeking in over Efren's right shoulder is Steve Booth. (too many Steve's!!! :p )

Attachments

• WBM1.JPG
    WBM1.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 358
  • MT1.JPG
    MT1.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 346
  • JLMT.JPG
    JLMT.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 331
  • WMBEF.JPG
    WMBEF.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 358

sizl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
P.S. - After the match, I challenged Efren to a race to 3 in 9-ball for $100. He said, “will you spot me?” I responded, “you’ll have to play me even if you want any action.” I daresay I’m the only player (and I use that term loosely) that Efren asked for weight the whole week. He easily dispatched me, but to his credit he did try to let me win a couple of games (obvious, but a very nice gesture given the lateness of the hour). I am a BIG fan of Efren and Jeanette – great examples of what the game can be at its best.

Sounds to me like you had Efren "dogging it" Don:eek: ;)

That is truly memories that will last a lifetime!

Great job to every1 who helped pull this off. I can't wait until next year!:D

IronDon55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie-

I am so pleased that you got to play in this game. You deserved it.
Sorry I missed it. Thanks again and see you next year.

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
...Efren can play a little, and we easily ran out our 3 games in 3 innings .

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate you? :D :D :D

Dude, sounds like you had a blast. I'm just now catching up on everybody's reports.

I could not get Friday off and I did not want to go just for Saturday.

Maybe next year

Thanks for the stories

Jersey

Clickin' & Clackin'
Silver Member
All I can say...

is WOW! WBM and all those AZB'ers lucky enough to attend The DCC, I'm extremely jealous!...but just as HAPPY :D for all of you who got to be present at this, 'I'll never forget it, and tell it for the rest of my life', Pool moment.

Let me see if I've got this right...

Diamonds with 4 1/2 pockets, ($7,000.00), at The DCC, (several $100.00 $$$), on THE TV Table, (a lot of wrangling), playing with Efren 'Bata' Reyes and Jeanette 'The Black Widow' Lee, $PRICELESS$...:D

AWESOME!!!

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
The match was great to watch! Besides breaks, I think MThorto's two misses were the only misses of that entire match... and one of those misses was on the 8-ball when he was left tough on it... the other was the 7-ball a bit off the rail I believe. So, pretty sporty shooting by both sides!

I've noticed that in alternate shooting for 8-ball, me and a partner often run out more than when I'm shooting alone... I think the added position thought process makes for superior play.

It was great watching JL sharking WBM and Efren! MThorto also did his share of sharking WBM... I don't think he wanted to shark Efren!

JL's antics were hilarious... like moving the score beads when no one was looking! :p

Thanks again to WBM for setting up such a great match and to JL for getting Efren to play!

DABABE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore Did Well

Despite My Kidding Suspicions Of The Ballot Box Fix, You Did A Great Job Of Reacting To The Problem. I Am Now Hurt, That I Know The Entire Story, That Jeanette Selected This Guy Reyes Over Me!!!!!!!!!!! At Least I Out-dressed Him And Work Cheaper; Much Cheaper.

It Was Great To Meet You And Look Forward To The Next Time.

Dababe; Aka, "the Black Widow's Pet":d