What do you know about Leroy Neiman's print "Pool Room"?

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
I was fortunate to come across Leroy Neiman's print "Pool Room". It is a signed, numbered print. I am not asking because I am interested in selling, but rather because I am intrigued by the artwork. I have been trying to research it on the internet, but can't find any information. In particular, I am very intersted to know who the pool players are depicted in the artwork. If you know anything about the print, I would be grateful to hear about it.

- steve

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I was fortunate to come across Leroy Neiman's print "Pool Room". It is a signed, numbered print. I am not asking because I am interested in selling, but rather because I am intrigued by the artwork. I have been trying to research it on the internet, but can't find any information. In particular, I am very intersted to know who the pool players are depicted in the artwork. If you know anything about the print, I would be grateful to hear about it.

- steve

Steve

Unfortunately Pool Room is not one of the more in-demand Neimans. If it is a serigraph it has some value ($400 to $500), if its a lithograph its nice decoration. If you'd like learn the difference, please feel free to email me with the size of the artwork in inches. Neiman wasn't so much a fan of pool (like he was of boxing for example) and I'm not sure any of the players are depictions of anyone specific.

Thanks

Kevin
kvinbrwr@earthlink.net

Last edited:

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neiman Print

Actually Neiman was a big enough fan to do a print of Cisero Murphy.....Called "Black Break"

http://www.neimanoriginals.com/images/pieces/black-break.jpg

Quote:
Black Break

Cisero Murphy who was the 1965 National Champion in billiards. He was the first African-American to win this national championship, and he is also in the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

- steve

Living in SF, way back when, I had a chance to buy "Black Break" but passed. Later on I bought "Pool Room" for $500 and it is hanging just behind my computer screen. It's a great piece and have seen it at auction for $3-5K.

I don't believe Neiman drew any particular players in this piece -- rather, it is the result of a number of b/w sketches he did, as was his wont, when he frequented various rooms. There is at least one other pool themed Neiman serigraph out there, but it is infrequently advertised or available. I can't remember it exactly, but it is a horizontal piece and I believe drawn from the perspective of the side of the table. Maybe you can see lights over the table.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
The only thing I know about Leroy Neiman is that he did a portrait of Howard Stern, a print of which came with the Miss New Year's Rotten Eve Video, back in the early 90's.

images.jpg :confused:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Link does not work.

Lou Figueroa

Damn....I think it was taken down.
It's a picture of Babe Cranfield playing Luther Lassiter straight pool.
Babe is at the table and, to me, somehow he caught the 'essence'
of a pool player.

I have an Ali/Frasier print by Leroy that I like.

not usually a fan of this style but sometimes he moves me

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Ali/Frasier may be his most famous work.

I like all aspects of "Black Break" except for Cisero breaking from the side pocket. :p

Foul!

Best,
Brian kc

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Cranfield vs Lassiter

of a pool player.

There is a 7x9" reprint selling on ebay for $45 of Neiman's Cranfield vs Lassiter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-WORLD-...-Framed-7-x9-Print-LeRoy-Neiman-/110781773177

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
of a pool player.

I've seen that one. Have the seen the sketch he did of Mosconi?

http://goo.gl/GzuLr

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: