Ball Cleaners and other Home Accessories

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
I have my own pool table. I'd like to take care of it. I also have a cheapie kit brush and a little plastic cover that, if nothing else, has no holes in it (thus it should be an adequate if unattractive "cover").

Some things I'd like to pick up...

Ball Cleaner
I found one here that seems to be pretty popular. It's fast, it comes with a lot of solution... and it's $400 or so. I know they have the $100 to $150 ball washers that you attach to a drill, but is there anything that does a good job cleaning balls without damaging them and that fits between $150 and $400? I think if someone had a $250 ball washer that did a great job they'd make some pretty good cash. For now, I have the Aramith solution and cloth...

Brush
I'd like to get a brush. I guess I want a good horsehair brush, but honestly, I am not sure what to look for. My current (kit) brush seems to work "okay," but it's small and I can tell the bristles aren't terribly strong, so I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of my brushing action. :) For now, that's what I've got...

Quick Clean
I'm not sure if this stuff works, but Dan and Chris at Great Lakes use it. For now, I use nothing. (Edited)

My Sardo
I've been waiting for this thing for months now. For now, I use the simple wooden rack that came with my table. It ain't great, but I don't want to spend money if I don't have to. On a related note, the 9-ball kit rack is horrible. It's barely bigger than a set of nine balls. You have to be surgeon-like to lift it without touching or disturbing the rack. Insane! :)

Q-Claw
I'd like to get a Q-Claw or perhaps build in some little storage things on a bench I have near the pool table. I have a wall unit but when I just want to lean my cue for a second, I find myself either leaning it against a notch in the table (the notch where the leather of the side pocket meets the wood of the rails) or against the door frame. For now, I'll wait to see what I can think of for the bench.

I was going to do a whole post on ball washers alone, but I thought I'd throw out a few other things. What do you guys think (about ball washers, or the others), recommend, or want for your home room?

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iacas said:
I have my own pool table. I'd like to take care of it. I also have a cheapie kit brush and a little plastic cover that, if nothing else, has no holes in it (thus it should be an adequate if unattractive "cover").

Some things I'd like to pick up...

Ball Cleaner
I found one here that seems to be pretty popular. It's fast, it comes with a lot of solution... and it's $400 or so. I know they have the $100 to $150 ball washers that you attach to a drill, but is there anything that does a good job cleaning balls without damaging them and that fits between $150 and $400? I think if someone had a $250 ball washer that did a great job they'd make some pretty good cash. For now, I have the Aramith solution and cloth...

Brush
I'd like to get a brush. I guess I want a good horsehair brush, but honestly, I am not sure what to look for. My current (kit) brush seems to work "okay," but it's small and I can tell the bristles aren't terribly strong, so I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of my brushing action. :) For now, that's what I've got...

Chalk Off
I'm not sure if this stuff works, but Dan and Chris at Great Lakes use it. For now, I use nothing.

My Sardo
I've been waiting for this thing for months now. For now, I use the simple wooden rack that came with my table. It ain't great, but I don't want to spend money if I don't have to. On a related note, the 9-ball kit rack is horrible. It's barely bigger than a set of nine balls. You have to be surgeon-like to lift it without touching or disturbing the rack. Insane! :)

Q-Claw
I'd like to get a Q-Claw or perhaps build in some little storage things on a bench I have near the pool table. I have a wall unit but when I just want to lean my cue for a second, I find myself either leaning it against a notch in the table (the notch where the leather of the side pocket meets the wood of the rails) or against the door frame. For now, I'll wait to see what I can think of for the bench.

I was going to do a whole post on ball washers alone, but I thought I'd throw out a few other things. What do you guys think (about ball washers, or the others), recommend, or want for your home room?

I'm in the same boat as you Erik. I just put my table in a few weeks ago, and I had no luck finding an affordable ball polisher. I made an impromtu cleaner out of an orbital car buffer upsidedown in a 5 gallon bucket with carpeting lining the bucket to protect the balls. It actually works pretty well, but I'd still like to find a "real" machine.

The junky brush I got with the table is ok, and I vacuum the table every few sessions along with wiping it down daily with a damp cloth.

Here's a few pics of my invention........cost........about $20

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0001 (Small).JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,019
  • DSCF0002 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0002 (Small).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 945
  • DSCF0003 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0003 (Small).JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 934

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Gerry said:
I'm in the same boat as you Erik. I just put my table in a few weeks ago, and I had no luck finding an affordable ball polisher. I made an impromtu cleaner out of an orbital car buffer upsidedown in a 5 gallon bucket with carpeting lining the bucket to protect the balls. It actually works pretty well, but I'd still like to find a "real" machine.

The junky brush I got with the table is ok, and I vacuum the table every few sessions along with wiping it down daily with a damp cloth.

Here's a few pics of my invention........cost........about $20
You vacuum your table? I've heard that anything beyond a lint roller is bad.. but if you're just using air suction and not the rolling brush things, I suppose that's okay.

I'd make my own ball cleaner, but I'd rather buy one and know it'll work well. But yours is proof positive that it shouldn't be that hard to make a GOOD $250 polisher.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been vacuuming tables for 15 years. We did it at all the pool rooms I worked at. I just use a shop vac with the wide floor attachment thing, no carpet roller thing.

Maybe I need to refine my stellar bucket ball cleaner invention, and I can market it to the masses!:D

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
I've got a good idea to make something for the pool world. I just keep procrastinating about it. All the money for a patent. Did a patent search and there is nothing like it out there. I'd buy it if someone else made it so sure I think it would sell, but what if it didn't.

Last edited:

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
CaptainJR said:
I've got a good idea to make something for the pool world. I just keep procrastinating about it. All the money for a patent. Did a patent search and there is nothing like it out there. I'd buy it if someone else made it so sure I think it would sell, but what if it didn't.
That's the risk you take. :)

I think the lack of a good quality and relatively inexpensive ball cleaner simply shows you how small the pool world is relative to, say, golf...

Raodwarior

Room owner
Silver Member
Erik,

We DO NOT use chalk off...we use Quick Clean..different product. I only recommend the Quick Clean.

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Raodwarior said:
Erik,

We DO NOT use chalk off...we use Quick Clean..different product. I only recommend the Quick Clean.
Errr, ok, right. I think "Chalk Off" was in my head from some of those free Google pool videos. Original post edited to say "Quick Clean."

Cya at Turning Stone in two days, Chris.

Padron

Pool room owner
Erik,

We have the Q-Claws you talked about, along with a commercial ball cleaner for the room. Drop by when you can and I'll show it all to you. Also, I have that CD of room pics for you.

Dan
Great Lakes Pool & Billiard Academy
www.greatlakesbilliards.com

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking care of your table

I bought the BallStar and it is worth EVERY penny (price varies widely but you can find one for about 350 - as cheap as I found). Clean balls are easier on your cloth and play WAY better. The only tough problem is going to the pool room where you have dirty balls that skid. I recommend vacumming your table often (I have a bristle attachment with my stand up vacuum) and I recommend the quick clean spray. My cloth stays almost new with that care. I also wax my rails from time to time and use furniture polish on the wood (I have a 9 foot brunswick Gold Crown III that is the envy of the guys in my pool room :).

Would be interested to see what others do.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
One thing you can do is just take your balls to the pool room you frequent and ask to use their commercial cleaner. I do that about once every 3 months.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Bludworth Ball Cleaner

the best ball cleaner by far is the one leonard bludworth makes. it has a hole for each ball and it holds all balls including the cue ball and works unbelievable. i think they're around $450 ? or so. he builds them and they're worth every penny.

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iacas said:
Ball Cleaner
I found one here that seems to be pretty popular.
I just picked up the Ballstar and this thing is awesome, I just use the solution that comes with the system. I purchased the Aramith ball cleaner, but it smelled nasty.

BallStar for $340.00

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
skins said:
the best ball cleaner by far is the one leonard bludworth makes. it has a hole for each ball and it holds all balls including the cue ball and works unbelievable. i think they're around $450 ? or so. he builds them and they're worth every penny.
Are any cleaning fluids or waxes necessary with Blud's ball cleaner?
I've looked at it on his web site, but this point is not clear. I've been too lazy to email him to ask.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rich R. said:
Are any cleaning fluids or waxes necessary with Blud's ball cleaner?
I've looked at it on his web site, but this point is not clear. I've been too lazy to email him to ask.

the times i've seen them used no cleaner was used and it worked great. i would guess you could use cleaners or waxes if you wanted to but would have to talk to blud. you should pm "blud" and ask him.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Sardo
I've been waiting for this thing for months now. For now, I use the simple wooden rack that came with my table. It ain't great, but I don't want to spend money if I don't have to. On a related note, the 9-ball kit rack is horrible. It's barely bigger than a set of nine balls. You have to be surgeon-like to lift it without touching or disturbing the rack. Insane

I would steer clear of the Sardo. All it does is put little divets in the cloth to make the balls go in the same spot every time. And this assuming that the person(s) racking accurately puts the that rack exactly in the same spot. I did the same effect by putting the rack exactly where it is supposed to go and hold the balls tight (maybe two people for this) I have large hands. And use a rubber mallet to lightly tap the balls on there correct and permanite rack spot!

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
tjlmbklr said:
I would steer clear of the Sardo. All it does is put little divets in the cloth to make the balls go in the same spot every time. And this assuming that the person(s) racking accurately puts the that rack exactly in the same spot. I did the same effect by putting the rack exactly where it is supposed to go and hold the balls tight (maybe two people for this) I have large hands. And use a rubber mallet to lightly tap the balls on there correct and permanite rack spot!

Can we please stop passing around the false rumors about these things? Because first off, not many people have had the M-5000. Second, just racking and breaking balls puts little divots in the cloth. Third, how can pressing down on a rack of balls with a plastic rack do more harm than tapping down balls with a rubber mallet? Think about it...

Nothing from people who actually have the latest Sardo indicates that it "harms" tables in the least (or any more so than normal racks, breaks, etc.). And for the price I got it for, it's worth a shot for the convenience alone. I play with 15, 9, 6, 7, and other arrangements of balls.

I hope this thread doesn't go off-topic into "Sardo Sucks" Land. There are threads for discussing Sardo stuff here. This one, I hope, can remain about ball cleaners and other home accessories.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
skins said:
the times i've seen them used no cleaner was used and it worked great. i would guess you could use cleaners or waxes if you wanted to but would have to talk to blud. you should pm "blud" and ask him.
Thanks for the information. I will have to contact Blud.

Steve - Detroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iacas said:
I think the lack of a good quality and relatively inexpensive ball cleaner simply shows you how small the pool world is relative to, say, golf...

or maybe how important a ball cleaner is for a home table relative to, say, ....anything?