Ray Martin and Me

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think since day one I have been a straight pool fanatic. And back in the 70‘s there were few guide posts to the game. So when Ray Martin’s, “The 99 Critical Shots in Pool” came out in 1977, I was all over it. Not that the book is devoted specifically to the nuances of 14.1, though there are a couple dozen pages on break shots, it was just the fact that Ray Martin himself, already at that time an east coast straight pool legend and two-time world champion at the game (he was to win his third crown in 1978), had deigned to share anything in the first place. And so, in addition to his accomplishments as a player, I have always held Ray in high regard for giving us all something to gnaw on way back when.

A couple of years ago while at the dinner table I had confessed to my wife that, one day, circumstances allowing, I'd love to get a 14.1 lesson from Dallas West up in Illinois, or perhaps Ray Martin if I was ever out in Florida again. She had figured out where Dallas was and gave me a lesson with Dallas as a memorable Christmas gift and I visited with Dallas last year. Months after I got my lesson with Dallas, she had done it again with another box this past Christmas that held a handmade card that read, “Good for one lesson with Ray Martin.” It even had his photo on it. Two weeks ago we were off to Florida to see friends and I broke away one morning to cash in my gift card at Ray Martin’s house for a four hour straight pool lesson.

It was a little surreal to drive out to Largo, through the fog, pull into his driveway, ring the door bell and have Ray himself greet me. We walked into a room with his trophies, art work by The Birkbeck Twins, Tom and Dan, black and white pool action photographs, and a 9’ Gandy.

So Ray asked, “What are we doing?” and I explained my general concept: for me to break a rack open and for him to walk me through a run and how he would take the balls off the table. I screwed together my nice, new, five-point Gina “travel cue” and racked them up and for a while we discussed ideal break shots, and it was then that he provided me with the first of what were to be many surprises when I asked him, “So, given the choice, what break shot do you favor?” And he said, “You’re going to be surprised,” as he walked over and set up a behind the rack break shot. And I said, “Really?!” And he responded, “In all the years I’ve been using it, it’s rarely failed to give me a shot.” So then I asked, “Well, what about the side of the stack break -- where do you like to go into them?” And again, a surprise. “It doesn’t matter to me -- high, low, I just want enough of an angle,” and he set them up to show me his preferred angle of attack.

All that led to a discussion about drawing and following the ball off the stack and in particular an interesting insight (at least for me) that he shared with me about the draw shot in general. To be honest, it was an eye-opener.

So after some additional discussion on the matter of break shots, I was about to begin, and decided that being the good student I was, I’d start with a behind the stack break. And then the lights went out. No really -- all the lights went out. Right before there’d been a distant “pop” and Ray said, “A transformer has gone out.” The whole neighborhood was without power. Cathy, his companion, called the power company and we debated as to what to do and I opted to press on with just the light from a sliding glass door and one other window in the room. It actually wasn’t too bad and the only time I had a bit of trouble was when shooting directly towards the left side of the table with the sliding doors providing a strong backlight that made it difficult to see the rail on that side of the table. I remember getting up off one shot and then getting back into shooting position grousing, “It’s tough to see the side pocket,“ and Ray unforgivingly cracked, “It hasn’t moved -- it’s in the same spot it’s been for the last 100 years.” Blessedly, after about an hour, the power company paid a visit and the lights blazed back on.

For a while we talked about pool cues and specifically low deflection shafts, how he’d been sent some to try, “They all have some deflection, so you’re always going to have to compensate. So it doesn’t matter.”

I asked him about how he aimed “Just see the shot,” he said. “No ghost ball, no contact points, no tracks, aiming systems, no edges?!” I asked. “No. All that aiming system stuff -- people want a magic pill. They don’t want to work. Those are all gimmicks, something to sell,” Ray told me.

We talked about the state of pool instruction nowadays and many of the game’s writers “Some of these guys don’t know what they’re talking about. If you want to play like a champion, take a lesson from a champion,” he said. And he told me how he’d recently been approached to do an instructional DVD that he might actually do.

I have to say that Ray’s philosophy on running balls at straight pool is markedly different from that espoused by Dallas West. And adjusting to this new approach was, and still is, difficult for me. But after he explained it, it made a great deal of sense to me and I have been working diligently to incorporate it into my game the last few weeks.

At one point the only shot I had left myself was a combination with the second object ball some distance from the first and from the pocket. I think Ray could see me hesitate and finally he asked, "So. How are you on combinations?” And I responded, “Pretty miserable.” And he offered, “Would you like a clue?” And I said (wait for it), “Yes. Please.” And he showed me a little trick for aiming combinations that has turned me into a combination playing monster compared to the 10-1 dog I was previously.

The second element that struck me was how he repeatedly stressed minimizing cue ball travel. Over and over again, I’d be happy to send the cue ball to different shots hither and yon and he’d stop me and say, “Why are you going over there? You have another shot closer by.” The theory being that a player would be far more accurate with their positional play at close range rather than going cross table. Of course he was right, but at least for me, it was surprisingly difficult to put into practice. “Just connect the dots -- don’t be sending the cue ball too far,” Ray reminded me.

The final thing that stuck with me is was how long he’d have me leave certain balls on the table. “You can get those later,” he said.

At another point I had a difficult positional play that I was unsure of and he told me how to hit it and I was a little dubious but I shot it as he directed and pulled it off, the cue ball magically traversing between obstacles as he said it would and it dawned on me, “That shot is in your book, isn’t it?” And he just nodded. It was a shot I had certainly forgotten and never played until that day and am now shooting all the time.

By the end my head was spinning a bit and I still could not, on my own, go to the shot he expected me to. And I explained, ”This is quite the paradigm shift and it’s going to take me going back home and forcing myself to use it. I can see your logic and it makes sense -- I just have to get my mind right.”

“You always have to keep changing the plan. Anyone that tells you that they can put the ball on a dime is lying. You do the best you can and then come up with a different plan depending on what you get,” he said.

And then he really shocked me. “So what about Pre Shot Routines?” I asked. “Don’t have one,” he replied.

At times we’d stop and talk about players: Willie Mosconi, Ralph Greenleaf, Mike Sigel, Jim Rempe, Dallas West, Luther Lassiter, Joe Balsis, Irving Crane, Cicero Murphy, Steve Mizerak, Pete Margo, and on and on. It was wonderful to hear him share his candid thoughts about the different strengths and weaknesses of so many players and his personal recollections, in many cases, of competing against them, including one hilarious story about a partners game between him and Nick Varner vs Dallas West and Jim Rempe.

I pulled out my copy of “The 99 Critical Shots in Pool” to ask for him to autograph it and he remarked, “A hardcover. That’s got to be a collector's item.” And I told him it was probably a first edition and he graciously signed and dated it. He also posed for a photo.

So that’s it. I drove back out towards Tampa to meet up with my wife, my head over flowing with new ideas and I gotta tell you: I’m consistently running more balls now. I’m using the behind the rack break more often; I’m implementing his approach to taking the balls off the table; I’m still learning to reduce the movement of my cue ball; and I’m leaving balls that I would have shot earlier on the table longer. As we were finishing up Ray asked me, “So, do you just like taking lessons?” And I responded, “ I've only taken a few. But, you know, sometimes, when you’re watching great players at a tournament, or on a DVD, you’ll think to yourself or the commentators will ask, ‘Why’d he go that way?’ And now I know. Ray, I’m one of the few people that know why you went one way instead of another.”

If you ever get the chance, you need to go see Ray for a lesson. If you want to play like a champion, take a lesson from a champion.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice report as always. Just a couple of thoughts:

I really sort of lump all the great 14.1 players together when I think about their style of play. I would have thought that Dallas West and Ray Martin would have very similiar styles. It's interesting to hear that they don't.

Just think how good Ray Martin could have been had he used a PSR.:grin:

I need to introduce your wife to mine:thumbup:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice post Lou. The great news for me is that now that I am in St. Pete and Ray gets to a local pool hall quite often in Largo, I can see him pretty much any time and actually have an hour to talk to him. The bad news is that I've only done this once since I've been here.

Freddie <~~~ hardly visited Boston either when I lived close by

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I think since day one I have been a straight pool fanatic. And back in the 70‘s there were few guide posts to the game. So when Ray Matin’s, “The 99 Critical Shots in Pool” came out in 1977, I was all over it. Not that the book is devoted specifically to the nuances of 14.1, though there are a couple dozen pages on break shots, it was just the fact that Ray Martin himself, already at that time an east coast straight pool legend and two-time world champion at the game (he was to win his third crown in 1978), had deigned to share anything in the first place. As so, in addition to his accomplishments as a player, I have always held Ray in high regard for giving us all something to gnaw on way back when.

A couple of years ago while at the dinner table I had confessed to my wife that, one day, circumstances allowing, I'd love to get a 14.1 lesson from Dallas West up in Illinois, or perhaps Ray Martin if I was ever out in Florida again. She had figured out where Dallas was and gave me a lesson with Dallas as a memorable Christmas gift and I visited with Dallas last year. Months after I got my lesson with Dallas, she had done it again with box at Christmas that held a handmade card that read, “Good for one lesson with Ray Martin.” It even had his photo on it. Two weeks ago we were off to Florida to see friends and I broke away one morning to cash in my gift card at Ray Martin’s house for a four hour straight pool lesson.

It was a little surreal to drive out to Largo through the fog, pull into his driveway, ring the door bell and have Ray himself greet me. We walked into a room with his trophies, art work by The Birkbeck Twins, Tom and Dan, black and white action photographs, and a 9’ Gandy.

So Ray asked, “What are we doing?” and I explained my general concept: for me to break a rack open and for him to walk me through a run and how he would take the balls off the table. I screwed together my nice, new, five-point Gina “travel cue” and racked them up and for a while we discussed ideal break shots, and it was then that he provided me with the first of what were to be many surprises when I asked him, “So, given the choice, what break shot do you favor?” And he said, “You’re going to be surprised,” as he walked over and set up a behind the rack break shot. And I said, “Really?!” And he responded, “In all the years I’ve been using it, it’s rarely failed to give me a shot.” So then I asked, “Well, what about the side of the stack break -- where do you like to go into them?” And again, a surprise. “It doesn’t matter to me -- high, low, I just want enough of an angle,” and he set them up to show me his preferred angle of attack.

All that led to a discussion about drawing and following the ball off the stack and in particular an interesting insight (at least for me) that he shared with me about the draw shot in general. To be honest, it was an eye-opener.

So after some additional discussion on the matter of break shots, I was about to begin, and decided that being the good student I was, I’d start with a behind the stack break. And then the lights went out. No really -- all the lights went out. Right before there’d been a distant “pop” and Ray said, “A transformer has gone out.” The whole neighborhood was without power. Cathy, his companion, called the power company and we debated as to what to do and I opted to press on with just the light from a sliding glass door and one other window in the room. It actually wasn’t too bad and the only time I had a bit of trouble was when shooting directly towards the right side of the table with the sliding doors providing a strong backlight that made it difficult to see the rail on that side of the table. On one shot I remember getting up off a shot and then getting back into shooting position grousing, “It’s tough to see the side pocket, “ and Ray unforgivingly cracked, “It hasn’t moved -- it’s in the same spot it’s been for the last 100 years.” Blessedly, after about an hour, the power company paid a visit and the lights blazed back on.

For a while we talked about pool cues and specifically low deflection shafts, how he’d been sent some to try, “They all have some deflection, so you’re always going to have to compensate. So it doesn’t matter.”

I asked him about he aimed “Just see the shot,” he said. “No ghost ball, no contact points, no tracks, aiming systems, no edges?!” I asked. “No. All that aiming system stuff -- people want a magic pill. They don’t want to work. Those are all gimmicks, something to sell,” Ray told me.

We talked about the state of pool instruction nowadays and many of the game’s writers “Some of these guys don’t know what they’re talking about. If you want to play like a champion, take a lesson from a champion,” he said. And he told me how he’d recently been approached to do an instructional DVD that he might actually do.

I have to say that Ray’s philosophy on running balls at straight pool is markedly different from that espoused by Dallas West. And adjusting to this new approach was, and still is, difficult for me. But after he explained it, it made a great deal of sense to me and I have been working diligently to incorporate it into my game the last few weeks.

At one point the only shot I had left myself was a combination with the second object ball some distance from the first and from the pocket. I think Ray could see me hesitate and finally he asked, "So. How are you on combinations?” And I responded, “Pretty miserable.” And he offered, “Would you like a clue?” And I said, (wait for it) “Yes. Please.” And he showed me a little trick for aiming combinations that has turned me into a combination playing monster compared to the 10-1 dog I was previously.

The second element that struck me was how he repeatedly stressed minimizing cue ball travel. Over and over again, I’d be happy to send the cue ball to different shots hither and yon and he’d stop me and say, “Why are you going over there? You have another shot closer by.” The theory being that a player would be far more accurate with their positional play at close range rather than going cross table. Of course he was right, but at least for me, it was surprisingly difficult to put intro practice. “Just connect the dots -- don’t be sending the cue too far,” Ray reminded me.

The final thing that stuck with me is was how long he’d have me leave certain balls on the table. “You can get those later,” he said.

At another point I had a difficult positional play that I was unsure of and he told me how to hit it and I was a little dubious but I shot it as he directed and pulled it off, the cue ball magically traversing between obstacles as he said it would and it dawned on me, “That shot is in your book, isn’t it?” And he just nodded. It was a shot I had certainly forgotten and never played until that day and now I’m shooting it all the time.

By the end my head was spinning a bit and I still could not on my own, go to the shot he expected me to. And I explained, ”This is quite the paradigm shift and it’s going to take me going back home and forcing myself to use it. I can see your logic and it makes sense -- I just have to get my mind right.”

“You always have to keep changing the plan. Anyone that tells you that they can put the ball on a dime is lying. You do the best you can and then come up with a different plan depending on what you get,” he said.

And then he really shocked me. “So what about Pre Shot Routines?” I asked. “Don’t have one,” he replied.

At times we’d stop and talk about players: Willie Mosconi, Ralph Greenleaf, Mike Sigel, Jim Rempe, Dallas West, Luther Lassiter, Joe Balsis, Irving Crane, Cicero Murphy, Pete Margo, and on and on. It was wonderful to hear him share his candid thoughts about the different strengths and weaknesses of so many players and his personal recollections, in many cases, of competing against them, including one hilarious story about a partners game between him and Nick Varner vs Dallas West and Jim Rempe.

I pulled out my copy of “The 99 Critical Shots in Pool” to ask for him to autograph it and he remarked, “A hardcover. That’s got to be a collectors item.” And I told him it was probably a first edition and he graciously signed and dated it. He also posed for a photo.

So that that’s it. I drove back out towards Tampa to meet up with my wife, my head over flowing with new ideas and I gotta tell you: I’m consistently running more balls now. I’m using the behind the rack break more often, I’m implementing his approach to taking the balls off the table, I’m still learning to reduce the movement of my cue ball, and I’m leaving balls that I would have shot earlier on the table longer. As we were finishing up Ray asked me, “So, do you just like taking lessons?” And I responded, “ I've only taken a few. But, you know, sometimes, when you’re watching great players at a tournament, or on a DVD, you’ll think to yourself or the commentators will ask, ‘Why’d he go that way?’ And now I know. Ray, I’m one of the few people that know why you went one way instead of another.”

If you ever get the chance, you need to go see Ray for a lesson. If you want to play like a champion, take a lesson from a champion.

Lou Figueroa

Lou- Nice review. Glad to hear you are running more balls using what Ray taught you.

I have a few questions, if you do not mind. I understand that you may not answer them because you may think that someone needs to go to Florida to see Ray if they really want the answers. But I won't know for sure unless I ask, so here goes.

As to the behind the rack break shots, does he prefer the one where you use high outside english and go one rail to the middle of the table or the one where you use inside english and go three rails to the middle of the table? There are also a few where you use draw and come back one rail and to the center and of course, the ones where you have to go one rail off the bottom rail into the bottom of the stack glancing and hopefully getting clear. Which did he prefer?

When he set up his preferred side of the rack break, what kind of angle and what kind of stuff would he use?

Did he prefer to use draw or follow on the side of the rack break shots?

What did he tell you about draw that has changed your life?

In what respect is Ray's approach different than Dallas's? Paradigm shift?

What did he tell you about combination shots that helped you so much?

If you can answer anything, that would be helpful to the rest of us out here.

I remember Stu Mattana bemoaning the fact that soon, some of the Straight Pool knowledge is going to be gone unless some of us learn from people like Ray Martin, Dallas West, Jim Rempe. Many do not have the opportunity to travel great distances and take lessons. It would be wonderful if Ray came out with a DVD on straight pool, but in the meantime.........

Last edited:

John Brumback

Silver Member
I got to say that I learned how to play pool from his book. Tell him thanks from me If you can.Great book!! Bet It was great lesson too.John B.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting, I have his book and personally think with the better graphics available today a "2nd edition" would be fantastic (or a dvd).

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great report, I envy you! I had a lesson from Ray in 9 ball not long after the one-foul-ball-in-hand-anywhere rules became popular and it stood good for some time until the players my speed and better caught up.
He offered me One Pocket lessons but I chose the 9 ball and was glad I did at the time. Wish I could go see him now but it's just not doable at this time.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think since day one I have been a straight pool fanatic. And back in the 70‘s there were few guide posts to the game. So when Ray Matin’s, “The 99 Critical Shots in Pool” came out in 1977, I was all over it. Not that the book is devoted specifically to the nuances of 14.1, though there are a couple dozen pages on break shots, it was just the fact that Ray Martin himself, already at that time an east coast straight pool legend and two-time world champion at the game (he was to win his third crown in 1978), had deigned to share anything in the first place. As so, in addition to his accomplishments as a player, I have always held Ray in high regard for giving us all something to gnaw on way back when.

A couple of years ago while at the dinner table I had confessed to my wife that, one day, circumstances allowing, I'd love to get a 14.1 lesson from Dallas West up in Illinois, or perhaps Ray Martin if I was ever out in Florida again. She had figured out where Dallas was and gave me a lesson with Dallas as a memorable Christmas gift and I visited with Dallas last year. Months after I got my lesson with Dallas, she had done it again with box at Christmas that held a handmade card that read, “Good for one lesson with Ray Martin.” It even had his photo on it. Two weeks ago we were off to Florida to see friends and I broke away one morning to cash in my gift card at Ray Martin’s house for a four hour straight pool lesson.

It was a little surreal to drive out to Largo through the fog, pull into his driveway, ring the door bell and have Ray himself greet me. We walked into a room with his trophies, art work by The Birkbeck Twins, Tom and Dan, black and white action photographs, and a 9’ Gandy.

So after some additional discussion on the matter of break shots, I was about to begin, and decided that being the good student I was, I’d start with a behind the stack break. And then the lights went out. No really -- all the lights went out. Right before there’d been a distant “pop” and Ray said, “A transformer has gone out.” The whole neighborhood was without power. Cathy, his companion, called the power company and we debated as to what to do and I opted to press on with just the light from a sliding glass door and one other window in the room. It actually wasn’t too bad and the only time I had a bit of trouble was when shooting directly towards the right side of the table with the sliding doors providing a strong backlight that made it difficult to see the rail on that side of the table. On one shot I remember getting up off a shot and then getting back into shooting position grousing, “It’s tough to see the side pocket, “ and Ray unforgivingly cracked, “It hasn’t moved -- it’s in the same spot it’s been for the last 100 years.” Blessedly, after about an hour, the power company paid a visit and the lights blazed back on.

I asked him about he aimed “Just see the shot,” he said. “No ghost ball, no contact points, no tracks, aiming systems, no edges?!” I asked. “No. All that aiming system stuff -- people want a magic pill. They don’t want to work. Those are all gimmicks, something to sell,” Ray told me.

At one point the only shot I had left myself was a combination with the second object ball some distance from the first and from the pocket. I think Ray could see me hesitate and finally he asked, "So. How are you on combinations?” And I responded, “Pretty miserable.” And he offered, “Would you like a clue?” And I said, (wait for it) “Yes. Please.” And he showed me a little trick for aiming combinations that has turned me into a combination playing monster compared to the 10-1 dog I was previously.

The second element that struck me was how he repeatedly stressed minimizing cue ball travel. Over and over again, I’d be happy to send the cue ball to different shots hither and yon and he’d stop me and say, “Why are you going over there? You have another shot closer by.” The theory being that a player would be far more accurate with their positional play at close range rather than going cross table. Of course he was right, but at least for me, it was surprisingly difficult to put intro practice. “Just connect the dots -- don’t be sending the cue too far,” Ray reminded me.

At another point I had a difficult positional play that I was unsure of and he told me how to hit it and I was a little dubious but I shot it as he directed and pulled it off, the cue ball magically traversing between obstacles as he said it would and it dawned on me, “That shot is in your book, isn’t it?” And he just nodded. It was a shot I had certainly forgotten and never played until that day and now I’m shooting it all the time.

By the end my head was spinning a bit and I still could not on my own, go to the shot he expected me to. And I explained, ”This is quite the paradigm shift and it’s going to take me going back home and forcing myself to use it. I can see your logic and it makes sense -- I just have to get my mind right.”

At times we’d stop and talk about players: Willie Mosconi, Ralph Greenleaf, Mike Sigel, Jim Rempe, Dallas West, Luther Lassiter, Joe Balsis, Irving Crane, Cicero Murphy, Pete Margo, and on and on. It was wonderful to hear him share his candid thoughts about the different strengths and weaknesses of so many players and his personal recollections, in many cases, of competing against them, including one hilarious story about a partners game between him and Nick Varner vs Dallas West and Jim Rempe.

I pulled out my copy of “The 99 Critical Shots in Pool” to ask for him to autograph it and he remarked, “A hardcover. That’s got to be a collectors item.” And I told him it was probably a first edition and he graciously signed and dated it. He also posed for a photo.

So that that’s it. I drove back out towards Tampa to meet up with my wife, my head over flowing with new ideas and I gotta tell you: I’m consistently running more balls now. I’m using the behind the rack break more often, I’m implementing his approach to taking the balls off the table, I’m still learning to reduce the movement of my cue ball, and I’m leaving balls that I would have shot earlier on the table longer. As we were finishing up Ray asked me, “So, do you just like taking lessons?” And I responded, “ I've only taken a few. But, you know, sometimes, when you’re watching great players at a tournament, or on a DVD, you’ll think to yourself or the commentators will ask, ‘Why’d he go that way?’ And now I know. Ray, I’m one of the few people that know why you went one way instead of another.”

Lou Figueroa

lou thanks for sharing your experiences with ray
i hope to take a lesson from him too
btw what cue does ray play with
p.p.s if your new gina is your travel cue you must have some nice players at home:grin:

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice story and review. Hopefully, later this year I plan to make the trip to Florida and take a lesson from him. I've been a fan of his ever since I can remember. Thanks for sharing your experience.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think since day one I have been a straight pool fanatic. And back in the 70‘s there were few guide posts to the game. So when Ray Matin’s, “The 99 Critical Shots in Pool” came out in 1977, I was all over it.

Nice review, Lou. The "99 Critical Shots in Pool" was one of the first books that I started out with too.

You gotta elaborate on Ray's aiming system. If Ray's approach to aiming is "Just see the shot," then it sounds to me like Ray is using a variation of the ghost ball aiming system...with a little bit of "aiming by feel" and HAMB included too. ;)

Last edited:

sjharr

insert something witty...
Silver Member
99 Critical shots....

....My father handed me his copy of this book when I expressed some interest in actually learning the game.

He told me to learn this book and I would learn "how" to play. I have my own copy now, and I leaf through it several times a year.

99 Critical Shots is a MUST own publication - in my own opinion!

:thumbup:

Steve H.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I just recently pulled out my "99 Critical shots" to revisit my fundamentals.
Mr. Martin's book has always been one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing your time with Mr. Martin.
Lou, your story telling is as great as has always been. Thanks again.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Great story.

A couple weeks ago, I found a 1979 second printing of his book in a used bookshop in town.

I love his description of 14.1 in the Rules section of the book:

The game of 14.1 continuous pocket billiards is the game of champions...

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wonderful story and post Lou :)

In the spring of 2001 I had the opportunity to spend an afternoon with Ray at his house in Largo. Your mention of his house pool room past his family room brought back a great memory. I was only at his home a few hours and we specifically worked on my break. To this day I see him and hear his words in my head when I line up and take my stance as I prepare to crack open a rack. I hear him telling me about moving through the ball, the importance of balance and the pause for velocity and strength. He also discussed the importance of understanding what weight of cue really is best for the individual - that some people play better with a lighter cue and some heavier and why and not to go by what type of cue works better for someone else, you have to have your own relationship with the cue and feel as you are one with each other, that is where "feel" stars to develop.

It was surreal to me seeing all those photos of his history in pool as well as all his family photos in his home. I too am very greatful to have had the opportunity to have spent that time with him.

Hope you see you this May at the Riviera Lou :) at the US Open 1P and 10B.

Hug

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Great report, Lou! Late last summer my wife and I were going for a week down there and I actually intended on taking a lesson from Ray. But then I read that he was going to play in the World's during that same week so the idea went by the boards.

Once again, your wife proved she is the greatest.

Rich