Jim Pierce, bowling alley shaft, workmanship

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take on the bowling alley shafts that Jim Pierce markets with his cues:

Jim Pierce recently made one of his bowling alley shafts for a Mike Wheeler cue that I had him refinish. There has been a lot of hype around that these shafts are "special" or are somehow better than other shafts out in the market. In my opinion, they are actually inferior to a grade A shaft that good cuemakers provide with their cues. The overall quality of the wood itself would be discarded by most cuemakers who want "quality" maple. ie....ring count, color, density, tone, etc...

Jim Pierce suggests that his bowling alley shafts are nice and heavy, which is probably true. However, the weight results from the thickness of his taper (there is alot of wood in the rear of the shaft). As far as hit is concerned, I did not care for the playability at all. I found it particular ackward to "stroke" with and did not care for the taper or the sound or feel that the shaft had. Of course this is all subjective and just my opinion. To each his own.

I have voiced my views of Jim Pierce's workmanship and customer service in the main forum which can be viewed here:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=267593

For those that don't want to read through all that, suffice it to say, I consider his workmanship on a cue that I sent to him to be sloppy and of poor quality. He somehow managed to botch a simple refinish. If anyone wants to discuss this I would be more than happy to....just pm me.

Last edited:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats really to bad that your experience wasn't good.I had a Pierce cue with 2 bowling alley shaftwood shafts and they were awesome dense pieces of wood but I hated Ivory ferules but the shaftwood was spectacular.I actually wish that I just changed the ferrules and tapered them to my liking and kept the cue.As far as finishes,mine was like glass,you could see your reflection in the cue ,it was that glossy.I would just talk to him,cause in my opinion this man does some tremendous work and produces some fine billiard instruments.Goodluck I'm sure it will workout.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats really to bad that your experience wasn't good.I had a Pierce cue with 2 bowling alley shaftwood shafts and they were awesome dense pieces of wood but I hated Ivory ferules but the shaftwood was spectacular.I actually wish that I just changed the ferrules and tapered them to my liking and kept the cue.As far as finishes,mine was like glass,you could see your reflection in the cue ,it was that glossy.I would just talk to him,cause in my opinion this man does some tremendous work and produces some fine billiard instruments.Goodluck I'm sure it will workout.

Part of the reason I sent the cue to Jim was because I read good reviews of his work. The finish is like glass, but unfortunately he butchered the wrap groove and I believe "dished out" the forearm. As far as talking to him, I've tried. He makes no effort to return calls and refuses to own up to his mistakes. I guess I knew something was wrong when he kept talking about having insurance to cover any mistakes he might make. At the time, I was wondering why he would even say such a thing. I suspect that he knew all along that he messed it up (how could he not?). He sent the cue back to me hoping I would not notice.

In short, he might produce flawless works of art.....but he sure did not in my case!

ARROWCRUSHER

N/ CUE STROKER
Silver Member
Sorry about your experience but all I can tell you is ,,Jim went above and beyond for me. If something didnt work out he took care of it just like that. And I have two bowling alley shafts and mine are straight as can be not taper roll ,,nothing that I even notice on my lathe. And his finish work was like glass... I just dont know what else to say besides did you try to get ahold of him privately before comeing out like this ? Not that its any of my buisness and you dont have to answer that so I appologize for even saying that because I would be pissed to if I would get something bad back.. But I do know he was sick for a while and stuck in the hospital. I hope maybe he didnt trust someone else maybe to help him out in the shop while he was laid up...But I would try to find out it just doesnt sound like any of my experiences with Jim Pierce. Once again Im sorry to hear this....<< ED

Last edited:

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry about your experience but all I can tell you is ,,Jim went above and beyond for me. If something didnt work out he took care of it just like that. And I have two bowling alley shafts and mine are straight as can be not taper roll ,,nothing that I even notice on my lathe. And his finish work was like glass... I just dont know what else to say besides did you try to get ahold of him privately before comeing out like this ? Not that its any of my buisness and you dont have to answer that so I appologize for even saying that because I would be pissed to if I would get something bad back.. But I do know he was sick for a while and stuck in the hospital. I hope maybe he didnt trust someone else maybe to help him out in the shop while he was laid up...But I would try to find out it just doesnt sound like any of my experiences with Jim Pierce. Once again Im sorry to hear this....<< ED

He did tell me that he was "so f'ing sick" when he was working on my cue. While I feel sorry that he did not feel well, I don't think that gives him cause to screw up my cue. He should not have been working on it at all if he did not have the attention necessary to do a good job. Thanks for you comment.

ARROWCRUSHER

N/ CUE STROKER
Silver Member
Like i said , Im sorry for what happend to you but this is the first I ever heard anything like this with him. If anything he's always went the extra mile with me. Like i said Im sorry and hope it works out in the end, cause that was just the type of person he always showed me he was thats why I was surprised and I wouldnt have left my 2 cents worth if I wouldnt have good experience.. <<ED

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
I absolutely love my Pierce bowling alley shafts! I have three of them.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Well, I have to concur with those supporters of Jim. I have been working with Jim on several cues for the last several months...a couple of them near completion now. Jim has not only been extremely communicative throughout the whole process, but he has been the one to initiate contact on numerous occasions to keep me updated on the progress of the cues.

As far as the playability of his own cues...they are some of the BEST playing cues I've had in my hands...and for that alone, I have no problem supporting him!

As far as his "bowling alley wood" shafts...I've gone so far as sending him another cuemakers cue to match his shaft onto the other's butt...they play THAT MUCH BETTER.

Of course playability of cues is completely opinionated...we all know that...but the fact that so many people have voiced their opinions regarding Jim's attention to detail and his desire to constantly go above and beyond what most other cuemakers do for their customers, speaks volumes to me about Jim the "man" not just Jim the "cuemaker"!

Jason

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...but the fact that so many people have voiced their opinions regarding Jim's attention to detail and his desire to constantly go above and beyond what most other cuemakers do for their customers, speaks volumes to me about Jim the "man" not just Jim the "cuemaker"!

Jason

Whew! You should be glad you didn't get the cue that Jim Pierce sent me. As far as your comment about "Jim the man"....

Here's the last email that Jim Pierce sent me, real classy .....

Re: shafts‏
To see messages related to this one, group messages by conversation.
2:10 PM Reply ▼Reply
Reply all
Forward
Delete
Junk
Mark as unread
Mark as read
Delete all from sender
Print message
View message source
Show message history
Hide message history
Show details
Hide details Jim Pierce Jim Piercepiercecustomcues@gmail.com

Send email
Find email Add to contactsTo Douglas Sall
Sent: Tue 3/13/12 2:10 PM
To: Douglas Sall (straightpool85@hotmail.com)

Your a fukn lire and we will b posting some more stuff to prove it and if there nedative it's not bcuz the bought them from me they bought them second hand your a nitty **** and that's that

Sent from my iPhone

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Whew! You should be glad you didn't get the cue that Jim Pierce sent me. As far as your comment about "Jim the man"....

Here's the last email that Jim Pierce sent me, real classy .....

Re: shafts‏
To see messages related to this one, group messages by conversation.
2:10 PM Reply ▼Reply
Reply all
Forward
Delete
Junk
Mark as unread
Mark as read
Delete all from sender
Print message
View message source
Show message history
Hide message history
Show details
Hide details Jim Pierce Jim Piercepiercecustomcues@gmail.com

Send email
Find email Add to contactsTo Douglas Sall
Sent: Tue 3/13/12 2:10 PM
To: Douglas Sall (straightpool85@hotmail.com)

Your a fukn lire and we will b posting some more stuff to prove it and if there nedative it's not bcuz the bought them from me they bought them second hand your a nitty **** and that's that

Sent from my iPhone

IMHO E-mails & PM’s between parties are private, and not for public consumption.

IMHO it don’t show a lot of class sharing privileged information, private photo, private pictures, and private communication with the World.

IMHO if you have a BEEF with Mr. Pierce try, and working things out with Mr. Pierce before dragging his good name and reputation through the MUD. Did you call me Pierce and speak softly to him, or did you jump right in for a fight to the death on the phone?

AS FAR AS Bowling Alley Shaft Wood my BUDDY Tommie1351 has sold a boat load of shafts made from Bowling Alley Shaft Wood.

IMHO many of Shafts made of Old Bowling Alleys are not white and pretty like HOLLY, but they sure do hit good.

Hitting good is what a SHAFT is suppose to do. Not look like some Anorexic Centerfold, who need 15 Wool Blankets to keep warm on a cool night.

Last edited:

tommie1351

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shafts

It is time for me to say something since I have sold more of these shafts than I can count. They are some of the denses Maple shafts I've ever had and I've had alot. These shafts are usually a darker Mapl;e with maybe a sugar mark or something. They HIT better than 75% of the shafts out there. I have never had a person complain about them. If anything they are stiffer and play with less deflection than some people are use to. I wish they had them when I was on top of my game some 40 years ago.
That does it for the product, which I thought this section was ment for. It was not ment for private conversations and personalities. You knock a guys life and his livelyhood enough and he is going to fight back and that is human and not ment to be broadcasted for the public. I believe it is way out of line to bring all that out as Doug has in this thread. It is suppose to be about Jim's Great 'Bowling Alley" shafts which I brought to AZ in the first place! I have a pretty fair rep and most people know I will not sell junk and these shafts are as good as it gets!
TOMMIE

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let me see if I can understand this web site. If I get a bad product from someone and I'm also given crappy customer service I'm a bad person if I convey this to the rest of you? This isn't the first bad service I've heard from this guy and him treating customers bad. Believe me I have a story about this guy and his bad service that would stun you. but the person who it happened to doesn't want anyone to know because of how he will be treated for telling the truth. I like how his cue's hit and look but due to the way he treats people during the sale I would never buy one. Thank you for being brave enough to give your honest opinion...people unfortunately on this forum will protect a cue maker no matter what.

btw..I'm not normally agree about personal emails..but if your going to send and unprofessional message like that to someone. You deserve to be called out for it. your a business man..act like it.

ykndoit

UnRegistered Abuser
Silver Member
I don't see a problem with bringing up private conversations in emails as long as they are pertinent to the issue at hand and are prevailed by information stating otherwise.

Like....(example!!!!)

MR X spoke with Jim prior to this thread telling him his review of the cue...
Jim said too bad...
MR X asked for a refund....
Jim said too bad....
Here we are now....
(ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS AN EXAMPLE WHERE I FEEL IT WOULD BE WARRANTED TO POST EMAILS AND PMS!!!)
In those instances I would feel its warranted to post things from emails or pm's from a different perspective than the norm.

It seems Jim Pierce has a good reputation on here and I've read/heard great things on his shaft but that doesn't mean the OP is lying. It also doesn't mean the OP handled things properly either.....

SPECULATION........is its own worse enemy

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is his reputation good? How good is anyone's rep on here when you have to be afraid to say anything bad without having everyone call you a liar and a nit for having the audacity to say you had actually had a bad experience.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i love Jim's taper. i know jim and have kept up with his cues for years but as impartial as all heck i like his taper. friend of mine bought one of his cues that jim raffled off. everyone that's tried it loves it. 2 guys i work with and the guys brother all offered to buy it off him but he won't let it go. his shaft taper it the nutz

JonTravisTaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is his reputation good? How good is anyone's rep on here when you have to be afraid to say anything bad without having everyone call you a liar and a nit for having the audacity to say you had actually had a bad experience.
I believe some people are hard to please...when you have one crying foul and 1000 on the other end of the spectrum who do you believe? Jim, tried to make it right, but the op wanted none of it, instead he want full compensation for his total cash investment? Oh if we al could get our total investments back on our impulse purchases...what a place that would be:). I don't really understand the point of getting on here and knocking a guy, especially to th e extreme that the op has...I don't care who you are...you talk enough trash tome you are eventually gonna get a response....so then I take that response and post it in a forum to support my argument about what a bad guy he is...please! Seems funny to me that theop has a history of working with " horrendous" cue makers that butcher his stuff...maybe he should switch to knitting or crochet....

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe some people are hard to please...when you have one crying foul and 1000 on the other end of the spectrum who do you believe? Jim, tried to make it right, but the op wanted none of it, instead he want full compensation for his total cash investment? Oh if we al could get our total investments back on our impulse purchases...what a place that would be:). I don't really understand the point of getting on here and knocking a guy, especially to th e extreme that the op has...I don't care who you are...you talk enough trash tome you are eventually gonna get a response....so then I take that response and post it in a forum to support my argument about what a bad guy he is...please! Seems funny to me that theop has a history of working with " horrendous" cue makers that butcher his stuff...maybe he should switch to knitting or crochet....

Actually, since I've posted my thoughts on this, I've had more than a few people with similar complaints about Pierce. As to wanting my full investment back, that is not interely true. I had asked Jim for full compensationa and he could get the cue and turn it into a tomato stake for all I cared. When that got nowhere, I suggested that he compensate me $500 for the damage.

My only "history" of working with other cuemakers that I was disatisfied with was Skip Weston. And of course, that was resolved a long time ago......

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
IMHO E-mails & PM’s between parties are private, and not for public consumption.

Yes, your FDA warns against this practice as they do taste funny.
But that is also why cannibals do not eat clowns. Because they taste funny.

A PM is a private message, but it does belong to you. You can do with it what you wish.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
When the US Military closed USNB SUBIC BAY, and USAF Clark Field in the Philippines, I understand the Wood from the BASES Bowling Alley was GRABBED UP by local Philippine Cuemakers because of the ability to Build POOL CUE Shafts from SAID WOOD.