14.1 Cue Ball
Old
  (#1)
rodcar
AzB Silver Member
rodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond repute
 
rodcar's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 500
iTrader: 146 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
   
14.1 Cue Ball - 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Would like to know what the regulation cue ball is 14.1 these days. When I played back in the 60's it was a blue dot. Have had a renewed interest in the game lately and trying to get a few friends to learn it. Using a red circle cue ball I have noticed it is more difficult to break racks and clusters than it was using the blue dot. Seems the blue dot was slightly heavier ball. Back in the 60's we only used a red dot for nine ball.
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
Kevin Lindstrom
AzB Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond repute
 
Kevin Lindstrom's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,058
vCash: 6237
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: PA
   
03-28-2012, 08:52 AM

I really like the blue circle cue ball that came with my new set of Centennials.

The red circle cue ball is slightly yellowish and weighs a few grams less than the object balls. Whereas the blue cirlcle cue ball weighs identical to the Centennial balls themselves.

Kevin


SCREW IT LETS RIDE
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"
stevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond repute
 
stevekur1's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,098
vCash: 4700
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
   
03-28-2012, 10:14 AM

I prefer to use the measles cue ball by aramith. But watch put for the imposter measel ball.

I use it with the Aramith Tournament Edition set.

Steve


PETE TONKIN CUSTOM CUES

Bayshore Billiards 14.1 League ~ Facebook Page ----> https://www.facebook.com/Bayshorebilliardsstraightpool

High Runs:
2009 - In Game - 80
2008 - Practice - 119
2011 - Highest on Video - 50

50 ball evaluation by Blackjack David Sapolis -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBfKo85z4g
  
Reply With Quote
Regulation Pro rule
Old
  (#4)
rodcar
AzB Silver Member
rodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond repute
 
rodcar's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 500
iTrader: 146 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
   
Regulation Pro rule - 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM

Not sure if there is a regulation ball used in pro tournaments. The blue circle ball seems to be different than the blue dot we used years ago.
  
Reply With Quote
Differences between the various cue balls
Old
  (#5)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute
 
sfleinen's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,594
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Carmel, NY (1.5-hour north of Manhattan)
   
Exclamation Differences between the various cue balls - 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM

Folks:

Please be careful when using the phrases "blue dot," "blue circle," "red dot," "red circle," etc. These terms are NOT interchangeable!

Reason: there's a difference between a blue dot and a blue circle ball, as well as a difference between a red dot and a red circle ball.

For instance:
  • Blue Dot -- This is a generic "old time" cue ball that certain folks are remembering/recalling. However, be careful, because this ball is slightly lighter than the object balls, and is a bit "zingey" (especially with draw). The Blue Circle ball is better to use than the Blue Dot ball. Speaking of which...

  • Blue Circle -- This is the cue ball delivered with a genuine set of Brunswick (Saluc) Centennials. This is probably the most favorite cue ball of straight poolers, neck-and-neck with the Aramith Pro Cup (measles) cue ball

  • Red Dot -- this is a HEAVYWEIGHT (6.75 ounces!) cue ball used on the Dynamo barboxes (the ones that differentiated the cue ball from the object balls by its sheer weight). This cue ball is at least a full ounce HEAVIER than the object balls, so that it is able to trip the "trap door" inside the Dynamo tables for the cue ball return. Because of this, perfect stop shots are IMPOSSIBLE with this cue ball, because of the "heavier mass hitting a lighter mass" physics problem -- the object ball is not heavy enough to absorb all the kinetic energy away from the cue ball, and thus the cue ball lunges forward a bit after contact with the object ball, even with a good stop-shot stroke, and even if a little bit of draw is applied (the cue ball will lunge forward a bit, then roll backwards with the draw spin). Not a good ball to use for 14.1 by any stretch of the imagination.

  • Red Circle -- It's properly known as the Aramith Red Circle cue ball. This is a standalone cue ball product from Aramith (it is offered standalone only, and is not bundled with any of Aramith's full ball sets). This cue ball is a bit lighter in weight than the object balls, and is therefore a favorite of 9-ballers, because "it makes it easier for them to move the rock around" (especially with draw). Being a standalone cue ball product that definitely shows differences from the rest of the object balls, this is not considered a good ball to use for 14.1.

  • "Measles" ("red-dotted" or "red-spotted") ball -- This is the Aramith Pro Cup ball seen (and used) at tournaments, on TV, etc. This ball weighs exactly the same as the object balls, just like the Brunswick (Saluc) Centennial blue circle ball, and is therefore GREAT for 14.1. It's actually my favorite ball, because of weight, texture, and reaction on the table. Be careful, though, for there are "measles ball knockoffs" out there (e.g. the knockoff offered by Sterling) that are not the same thing. An easy way to tell the knockoffs, is that they usually have eight (8) red spots instead of Aramith's trademarked six (6) red spots.

I agree with Steve Kurtz that the Aramith Pro Cup (measles) ball is probably the favorite cue ball to use in 14.1. Its extra price over other cue balls is worth it, because it's a one-time purchase -- it's not like a consumable you're going to be buying often. (And I laugh at those people that will balk at the price of an Aramith Pro Cup cue ball, but then they go out and buy $25 Kamui chalk without batting an eye!)

Hope this is helpful info,
-Sean


"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Last edited by sfleinen; 04-15-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Fixed some pointed information about specifically the Red Circle ball, per a certain viewer's request
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
mnhighrunlist
AzB Silver Member
mnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MN
   
03-28-2012, 06:32 PM

I prefer the blue circle cue ball that comes with the Brunswick Centennials.

-Dennis

Last edited by mnhighrunlist; 03-31-2012 at 08:50 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
acousticsguru
player/instructor
acousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond reputeacousticsguru has a reputation beyond repute
 
acousticsguru's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2010
   
03-29-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfleinen View Post
Folks:

Please be careful when using the phrases "blue dot," "blue circle," "red dot," "red circle," etc. These terms are NOT interchangeable!

Reason: there's a difference between a blue dot and a blue circle ball, as well as a difference between a red dot and a red circle ball.

For instance:
  • Blue Dot -- This is a generic "old time" cue ball that certain folks are remembering/recalling. However, be careful, because this ball is slightly lighter than the object balls, and is a bit "zingey" (especially with draw). The Blue Circle ball is better to use than the Blue Dot ball. Speaking of which...

  • Blue Circle -- This is the cue ball delivered with a genuine set of Brunswick (Saluc) Centennials. This is probably the most favorite cue ball of straight poolers, neck-and-neck with the Aramith Pro Cup (measles) cue ball

  • Red Dot -- this is a HEAVYWEIGHT (6.75 ounces!) cue ball used on the Dynamo barboxes (the ones that differentiated the cue ball from the object balls by its sheer weight). This cue ball is at least a full ounce HEAVIER than the object balls, so that it is able to trip the "trap door" inside the Dynamo tables for the cue ball return. Because of this, perfect stop shots are IMPOSSIBLE with this cue ball, because of the "heavier mass hitting a lighter mass" physics problem -- the object ball is not heavy enough to absorb all the kinetic energy away from the cue ball, and thus the cue ball lunges forward a bit after contact with the object ball, even with a good stop-shot stroke, and even if a little bit of draw is applied (the cue ball will lunge forward a bit, then roll backwards with the draw spin). Not a good ball to use for 14.1 by any stretch of the imagination.

  • Red Circle -- It's properly known as the Aramith Red Circle cue ball. This is the "zinger" cue ball that is approximately an ounce less in weight than the object balls, and is therefore a favorite of 9-ballers, because "it makes it easier for them to move the rock around" (especially with draw). This is definitely *NOT* a good ball to use for 14.1!

  • "Measles" ("red-dotted" or "red-spotted") ball -- This is the Aramith Pro Cup ball seen (and used) at tournaments, on TV, etc. This ball weighs exactly the same as the object balls, just like the Brunswick (Saluc) Centennial blue circle ball, and is therefore GREAT for 14.1. It's actually my favorite ball, because of weight, texture, and reaction on the table. Be careful, though, for there are "measles ball knockoffs" out there (e.g. the knockoff offered by Sterling) that are not the same thing. An easy way to tell the knockoffs, is that they usually have eight (8) red spots instead of Aramith's trademarked six (6) red spots.

I agree with Steve Kurtz that the Aramith Pro Cup (measles) ball is probably the favorite cue ball to use in 14.1. Its extra price over other cue balls is worth it, because it's a one-time purchase -- it's not like a consumable you're going to be buying often. (And I laugh at those people that will balk at the price of an Aramith Pro Cup cue ball, but then they go out and buy $25 Kamui chalk without batting an eye!)

Hope this is helpful info,
-Sean
I love this forum…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.
_________________

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
  
Reply With Quote
More info.
Old
  (#8)
rodcar
AzB Silver Member
rodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond repute
 
rodcar's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 500
iTrader: 146 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
   
More info. - 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Hope this isn't over thinking the subject, but what got me curious about the various balls used was, we were using a measle ball and I noticed a blue circle ball near by so we compared the two. The blue circle was noticeably, just slightly smaller, so we weighed them and the blue circle was lighter as well. Not sure if the blue circle was just worn or there is slight variations in size. Any way this one was definitely lighter than the measle ball and smaller. Sounds like the measle ball is the way to go in order to have consistent play.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute
 
sfleinen's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,594
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Carmel, NY (1.5-hour north of Manhattan)
   
03-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcar View Post
Hope this isn't over thinking the subject, but what got me curious about the various balls used was, we were using a measle ball and I noticed a blue circle ball near by so we compared the two. The blue circle was noticeably, just slightly smaller, so we weighed them and the blue circle was lighter as well. Not sure if the blue circle was just worn or there is slight variations in size. Any way this one was definitely lighter than the measle ball and smaller. Sounds like the measle ball is the way to go in order to have consistent play.
rodcar:

I would suspect the blue circle was worn over use (it's probably from an original Centennial set from the pool room, and worn down from decades of cleaning and polishing). Measles balls weren't introduced into the market until 9 years ago (2003), and didn't start showing up in pool rooms until a few years ago -- and even then, probably by customers, not the pool room owner. That measles ball was brought in by your friend, yes?

Either ball (blue circle, or measles ball) is great for 14.1. The idea is that you want the cue ball to be as "same as possible" as the object balls. The other balls in my post above (red dot, red circle, blue dot) are just too dissimilar to the object balls that they aren't worth consideration (I'll go out on a limb to say that).

-Sean


"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner
  
Reply With Quote
Thanks Much!
Old
  (#10)
rodcar
AzB Silver Member
rodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond repute
 
rodcar's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 500
iTrader: 146 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
   
Thanks Much! - 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Some excellent information, thanks much, really appreciate it.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute
 
DogsPlayingPool's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 8,296
vCash: 500
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Left Coast
   
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM

Despite the fact that the Blue Circle and Measle ball are both official size and weight, I do seem to notice a difference in how they play that I can only assume is due to a difference in their composition, or material, and how that material interacts with the cloth.

The measle ball just seems to play flatter, and the action more linear than the blue circle. This is the best way I can describe it. Anyone else notice this?

I'd also be curious if anyone knows FOR A FACT that there is a difference between the red circle and blue circle cue balls. The reason I ask is that Aramith claims the Cents and Super Pros are identical (save graphics) and both are matched sets. So wouldn't their corresponding cue balls be the same as the rest of the balls in the set? If so, then the two cue balls have to be the same.


"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Kevin Lindstrom
AzB Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond repute
 
Kevin Lindstrom's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,058
vCash: 6237
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: PA
   
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsPlayingPool View Post
Despite the fact that the Blue Circle and Measle ball are both official size and weight, I do seem to notice a difference in how they play that I can only assume is due to a difference in their composition, or material, and how that material interacts with the cloth.

The measle ball just seems to play flatter, and the action more linear than the blue circle. This is the best way I can describe it. Anyone else notice this?

I'd also be curious if anyone knows FOR A FACT that there is a difference between the red circle and blue circle cue balls. The reason I ask is that Aramith claims the Cents and Super Pros are identical (save graphics) and both are matched sets. So wouldn't their corresponding cue balls be the same as the rest of the balls in the set? If so, then the two cue balls have to be the same.
I think based on color and apperance alone that the blue circle and red circle are two different balls at least in material. It is possible that they both weigh the same and are the same size but I won't know for sure until I weigh them to compare. I plan to weigh both cue balls and both brands of object balls to get a good comparison. in my mind the red circle cue ball plays slightly lighter than the blue circle ball. I want to see if this is true or if it all just in my head.

Kevin


SCREW IT LETS RIDE
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute
 
sfleinen's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,594
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Carmel, NY (1.5-hour north of Manhattan)
   
03-30-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsPlayingPool View Post
Despite the fact that the Blue Circle and Measle ball are both official size and weight, I do seem to notice a difference in how they play that I can only assume is due to a difference in their composition, or material, and how that material interacts with the cloth.

The measle ball just seems to play flatter, and the action more linear than the blue circle. This is the best way I can describe it. Anyone else notice this?

I'd also be curious if anyone knows FOR A FACT that there is a difference between the red circle and blue circle cue balls. The reason I ask is that Aramith claims the Cents and Super Pros are identical (save graphics) and both are matched sets. So wouldn't their corresponding cue balls be the same as the rest of the balls in the set? If so, then the two cue balls have to be the same.
Mitch:

Take a look:

http://saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=10

In their regular range of balls, the Pro Cup (measles ball) is the standard cue ball for 4 out of the 5 sets shown on the page. It's not clear what cue ball is offered in the 5th set (the Premiere set), which is their entry-level ball set product, but I suspect it's the "Aramith Cue Ball" shown here:

http://saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=13

I would offer that the "Premiere" ball set, being Aramith's entry-level product, is not a product that we straight poolers would be interested in anyway. Most would opt for one of the Super Pro (and higher) series, no?

Aramith does not offer the Red Circle ball in any ball sets.

And, I have all of the cue balls I outlined above in a previous post. I've weighed them, and although I don't have the weights handy (I'm at work), I can post these later, if this will satisfy you? (In the meantime, you can do an "Advanced Search" here in AZB, with my screenname and some keywords like "blue circle", "centennial", etc., and it should turn up a past post from me with those cue ball weights. I do remember posting them.)

Hope that's both helpful and qualifies for the "for a fact" nature of your request,
-Sean


"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute
 
DogsPlayingPool's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 8,296
vCash: 500
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Left Coast
   
03-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lindstrom View Post
I think based on color and apperance alone that the blue circle and red circle are two different balls at least in material. It is possible that they both weigh the same and are the same size but I won't know for sure until I weigh them to compare. I plan to weigh both cue balls and both brands of object balls to get a good comparison. in my mind the red circle cue ball plays slightly lighter than the blue circle ball. I want to see if this is true or if it all just in my head.

Kevin
Kevin (EDIT: and Sean), the only problem I have when size, weights (and color) of balls are posted is the information doesn't mean much to me. What I mean is that the Cents and Super Pros are matched sets, meaning the balls IN EACH SET are matched by size, weight and color. But there is a range for both size and weight in the regulations. So comparing the weight of a single blue circle cue ball to a single red circle doesn't necessarily mean anything. Two blue circle balls from different sets can also have different weights. And size, weight and color, of course, can vary from manufacturing batch, and over time.

From the WPA Equipment specs:

Quote:
All balls must be composed of cast phenolic resin plastic and measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms]
Sean, I would agree the measle ball is probably not the same composition as all the sets it comes with given the different price points. And it very well may be different than the red or blue circle balls. As I said, I note a distinct difference in the way the blue circle and measle balls play. But the measle ball aside, what I'm curious about is any actual difference between the blue and red circle balls given the fact that Saluc says the Cents and Super Pros are identical sets. Also, considering that the red circle and blue circle only come with one set (Super Pros and Cents) it suggests that they are the same as the the rest of the balls they come with. If that is true and the two sets are the same, the so are both cue balls.


"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Last edited by DogsPlayingPool; 03-30-2012 at 11:58 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute
 
sfleinen's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,594
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Carmel, NY (1.5-hour north of Manhattan)
   
03-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsPlayingPool View Post
Kevin (EDIT: and Sean), the only problem I have when size, weights (and color) of balls are posted is the information doesn't mean much to me. What I mean is that the Cents and Super Pros are matched sets, meaning the balls IN EACH SET are matched by size, weight and color. But there is a range for both size and weight in the regulations. So comparing the weight of a single blue circle cue ball to a single red circle doesn't necessarily mean anything. Two blue circle balls from different sets can also have different weights. And color, of course, can vary from manufacturing batch, and over time.

From the WPA Equipment specs:
Mitch:

So, taking into consideration the fact that 1.) characteristics such as size, weight, color, etc. are meaningless to you, and 2.) the WPA rules for billiard balls themselves cover a wide range of balls, are you trying to say that the selection of a particular cue ball is meaningless?

I think a lot of folks on here who have played with various cue balls, know that they indeed can play differently.

If your point is rather to use the ball that came with the set, then no doubt, I agree. It *should* be matched to the object balls. But if it's a set that's been cobbled together to begin with (e.g. there are plenty of these available on eBay where someone took a set a balls and threw a Red Circle ball in there -- because 9-ballers, being the biggest sales demographic for pool balls, "like" that cue ball for previously mentioned reasons), it's probably good to make sure to use a cue ball that is recognized to be as close as possible to shipping sets of balls. That would be either the Blue Circle, or the Pro Cup (measles) ball, that ship with the Centennials and lion's share of Aramith's ball set products respectively.

Do you agree, or no?
-Sean


"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 23 Last »

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.