Cole Dickson vs. Richie Florence
Old
  (#1)
jjohnson
AzB Bronze Member
jjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond reputejjohnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Cole Dickson vs. Richie Florence - 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM

8:39 PM 4/30/2012

I met Bob at Hard Times Billiards in Bellflower, California, a couple of years ago. He told me about a match he watched around 1968 between Cole Dickson and Richie Florence. Here is Bob's firsthand account as told to me, as best as I can remember it.

There had been a tournament announcement posted on the wall at Five Points Billiards in Norwalk. Toward the bottom of the poster was a yellow sun with Richie Florence's picture in it. Around the sun it said, "Featuring Richie Florence, the World's Greatest Nine Ball player."

Cole was getting in stroke over at Palace Billiards in Bellflower. His older brother, Jerry, was sitting nearby when Richie Florence walks in. Immediately Cole says, "Well, if it isn't Richie Florence." Richie's two backers wearing suits walk in next. Cole says, "Who designated you the world's greatest nine ball player? You?"

Jerry covers his eyes with his hand shaking his head. Richie just stands there like: WTF.

Cole says, "I can beat you so what does that make me?"

Richie says, "How about a hundred a game?" Cole and Jerry only have two hundred between them.

Cole breaks and runs six racks in a row. He wastes no time. He shoots quickly. He shoots the eyes out of the balls.

After 17 games Richie's backers say, "No more." Richie never won a game.

Bob says that Cole was extremely competitive and aggressive. He says he knew he was seeing something special and that he'll never forget that match. Cole would have been about 18 years old. The only other person in the pool hall was the man behind the bar. Bob told me his name but I forget what it was.

Once in a lifetime .

Last edited by jjohnson; 05-04-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
The Bloody Pit is Pleased
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-03-2012, 05:58 AM

HElluva first post, Sir!

What else ya got?!!?

There is no beauty here, just the stench of wine and beer.

my program will expose interns to experienced trainers.
Death and hatred to mankind, poisoning their brainwashed minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Posters on Az tell me that pictures confuse them,
and that is why they love to buy from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#3)
steveinflorida
steveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2012, 06:11 AM

Just got around to reading this post. Great story. Thank you for telling us.
I made cases for both Cole and Richie back in the early 70's.
They were both hard core $ players for sure.

STEVE PRICE
Case Maker

Ph. 727 442 0075

Old
  (#4)
RICKDOG224U
AzB Bronze Member
RICKDOG224U is on a distinguished road

06-20-2012, 04:46 PM

I have had the pleasure of playing with cole quite a bit here in montana. Definetly one of my favorite players to hang out with. His one pocket game is off the charts. still plays for money once in a while and hits a tournament now and again.

Last edited by RICKDOG224U; 06-20-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Old
  (#5)
richiebalto
AzB Silver Member
richiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond repute

06-21-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson View Post
8:39 PM 4/30/2012

I met Bob at Hard Times Billiards in Bellflower, California, a couple of years ago. He told me about a match he watched around 1968 between Cole Dickson and Richie Florence. Here is Bob's firsthand account as told to me, as best as I can remember it.

There had been a tournament announcement posted on the wall at Five Points Billiards in Norwalk. Toward the bottom of the poster was a yellow sun with Richie Florence's picture in it. Around the sun it said, "Featuring Richie Florence, the World's Greatest Nine Ball player."

Cole was getting in stroke over at Palace Billiards in Bellflower. His older brother, Jerry, was sitting nearby when Richie Florence walks in. Immediately Cole says, "Well, if it isn't Richie Florence." Richie's two backers wearing suits walk in next. Cole says, "Who designated you the world's greatest nine ball player? You?"

Jerry covers his eyes with his hand shaking his head. Richie just stands there like: WTF.

Cole says, "I can beat you so what does that make me?"

Richie says, "How about a hundred a game?" Cole and Jerry only have two hundred between them.

Cole breaks and runs six racks in a row. He wastes no time. He shoots quickly. He shoots the eyes out of the balls.

After 17 games Richie's backers say, "No more." Richie never won a game.

Bob says that Cole was extremely competitive and aggressive. He says he knew he was seeing something special and that he'll never forget that match. Cole would have been about 18 years old. The only other person in the pool hall was the man behind the bar. Bob told me his name but I forget what it was.

Once in a lifetime .
Sweet thread,i love the old war stories,like black said ,is that all u have?

Old
  (#6)
joelpope
AzB Gold Member
joelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-24-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinflorida View Post
Just got around to reading this post. Great story. Thank you for telling us.
I made cases for both Cole and Richie back in the early 70's.
They were both hard core $ players for sure.
Did you know a guy named Rich Childress? Just curious

Thanks

Playing cues: Searing, Nitti, Southwest, & Dayton
Break cues: Searing & Predator
Jump cues: my own design and build
Cases: Justis & JB

Last 4 Ever Tip Tool web site
http://last4ever.com

Cole Dickson
Old
  (#7)
koa2341
AzB Bronze Member
koa2341 is on a distinguished road

Cole Dickson - 10-11-2012, 01:03 PM

I grew up playing with Cole at the Golden Q in Hayward. About midnight we'd always close the place and go over to SF to Cochran's and the Palace to play all night. Cole wasn't even old enough to drive (only 15 in 1968 I think).
Bucktooth and some others too. I saw Cole play Boston Blackie 1P and just work him. We'd hang all night. Those were great times

I ran into him years later in Tahoe and he wanted to become a poker player. he was much better at pool

Last edited by koa2341; 10-11-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Old
  (#8)
hitman22
AzB Silver Member
hitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2012, 09:16 AM

Great story!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: