Dan's Cue "In the Making"

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Here is a fully cored cue I am building I named "El Rojo Diablo" or "The Red Devil" for Dan a very capable pool player of consequence who likes to fly low under the radar. I have assisted him in the design of this cue but to tell you the truth he has singularly made all decisions concerning every detail of the cue.

I will go so far as to say that he has not used one of my suggestions and is the sole designer of this cue 100% except for one joint detail. Darrin and I had to bend his arm behind his back to get him to drop his joint plan, for that I am happy because I know it will be better and after it's built, it's too late. This design process has been a huge factor of satisfaction to him and he has been at my shop once a week for the last month sweating every single detail. He has even come up with a very creative inlay designs which I am doing the CAD work on today. I figure how cool is that for a player to have a cue from his own creative process. When the customer is happy, I am also happy.

Here are some progress pics of this fancy player in the making. This has been a real labor of love for Dan as well as myself because I can see how passionate and involved he is by going thru this design process.

If you look up Pool Hall Junkie in Webster's Dictionary there will be a picture of Dan, he can't get enough, literaly.

Thanks for looking,

Rick G

IMG_4435.jpg

Block with your 3 veneer colors chosen:
IMG_4437.jpg

4 veneered points cut from the block:
IMG_4438.jpg

V Grooved forearm in the indexed cutting jig:
IMG_4439.jpg

Point glued in place and clamped for curing of epoxy:

IMG_4440.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
More Pics:

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4456.jpg

Faced A-Joint area awaiting fresh rings and cored handle for glue up.
IMG_4458.jpg

Drilling and cutting off Juma Center Rings for the billet using KJ's slitting saw.

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4461.jpg

All rings lapped and ready for gluing up to the billets.
IMG_4462.jpg

Ring Billets ready for gluing.

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
More Pics:

Cutting Ring Slots
IMG_4556.jpg

Lining up grain pattern on the Aboyna Burl
IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

Handle Glue up on the core
IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_4572.jpg

Prep machining for tapered GE Micarta ferrules
IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

Concentricity turning center pins installed. Turned shafts are now ready and resting for the last five .005 turns to final dim
IMG_4618.jpg

Dan in the shop working on his inlay designs with me for his cue.
IMG_4616.jpg

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Dan's design verified and tested with part compensated and glued in the cue at .030 oversize.
IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

Last edited:

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
It's threads like this that makes AZ a unique pool enthusiast forum...thank you very much for the wonderful pictures and sharing your build process. The cue looks great and veneers look real tight and sharp.
Do keep em pictures coming!

danutz

Banned
It's threads like this that makes AZ a unique pool enthusiast forum...thank you very much for the wonderful pictures and sharing your build process. The cue looks great and veneers look real tight and sharp.
Do keep em pictures coming!

Tap, tap, tap. Rick is the man when it comes to showing, and explaining the build process. I think we should nickname him "Teach":cool:
Great post, as usual Rick:cool:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Tap, tap, tap. Rick is the man when it comes to showing, and explaining the build process. I think we should nickname him "Teach":cool:
Great post, as usual Rick:cool:

Scott,

Maybe marketing is a better description than teacher. Mr. Hightower and DPK have that area covered in cue making primers. Everyone builds cues their own way but if someone sees something I do through these progress pics, sharing info is the name of the game because it is a river of knowledge that always goes both ways. Everyone gets smarter when Peer Check and review is practiced by professionals.

There are many cue makers today like Steve Lomax and others who have dedicated themselves to full coring their cues and I am of that persuasion myself. Most players who buy my cues or anyone else's cues are not always aware of the joinery or building methods used by the CM and it is my job to make these facts known.

I figure that the full coring program method I show makes my argument for the engineering attributes of playing with a solid maple resonance on every cue.

Hence marketing instead of teaching.

Thanks for reviewing my thread and your kind words,

Rick

Last edited:

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I like the fact that he likes to lay low, but you post a pic of the cue with his full name on it! LMAO!

And very nice cue btw.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I like the fact that he likes to lay low, but you post a pic of the cue with his full name on it! LMAO!

And very nice cue btw.

Hi Rodney,

LOL, yea I forgot the name on the blank in black marker, oops. These pics have been progress pics for Dan over the last month and I moved them to the gallery.

Thanks,

Rick

pwmike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue

That is really cool.Their is some much work involved making cues.That is a very nice cue. Do you have waiting list for your cues?

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey

Those veneers are hot...actually closing in on super badass......I love it

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick, you sure are building some excellent pool cues. I love everything about this cue.
Josh

blackpearlmaker

Caliper User......
Silver Member
Great build there Rick, the red and black combo plus the amboyna burl really pops up..Love the look on it. Have a great build..

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Great build there Rick, the red and black combo plus the amboyna burl really pops up..Love the look on it. Have a great build..

Dan is the designer of this cue. I tried to talk him into a white veneer on top but he held is ground. I would have never put the red next to the black like that but when I taper turned it I am now a fan of it.

We are doing some special inlays Dan also designed on the butt sleeve that is also red black red with a slight ivory accent. It also looks very cool.

Dan has spent many hours of thought on this one. The coolest part of this whole thing is that Dan will own and play a cue that he conceived and developed in his own mind. That really makes my job easy because if it turned out to be ugly, I could pass the buck and blame someone else.:bash: LOL What? not me!:shrug: I don't think that will be the case when this one is done.

Rick

Last edited: