Reload this Page Shane Van Boening Aiming System
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Shane Van Boening Aiming System
Old
  (#1)
Patso44
Underdog
Patso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond reputePatso44 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Shane Van Boening Aiming System - 05-28-2012, 09:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK-kIEzEXQ0

Take a look at this video and please give me some input on what Van Boening explains as his aiming system. There was a hour long session out in California that was on YouTube for a bit and then taken off. I got a chance to watch it before it was deleted. It goes a little further in depth but the video link above is the close I could get.

It sounds so simple but I believe from what he explains this information will not make change your game over night. You will have to practice this system a long time!

Thanks in advance for the input!!

Patrick

Old
  (#2)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-29-2012, 03:27 AM

I don't think there is any more to cover then what is in these two threads.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...+aiming+system

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...+aiming+system

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
443-624-0912

Old
  (#3)
Neil
Banned
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

05-29-2012, 06:07 AM

Last edited by Neil; 07-03-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Old
  (#4)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patso44 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK-kIEzEXQ0

Take a look at this video and please give me some input on what Van Boening explains as his aiming system. There was a hour long session out in California that was on YouTube for a bit and then taken off. I got a chance to watch it before it was deleted. It goes a little further in depth but the video link above is the close I could get.

It sounds so simple but I believe from what he explains this information will not make change your game over night. You will have to practice this system a long time!

Thanks in advance for the input!!

Patrick
The most important thing that I got from that video was that regardless of whether versions of that system already exist, Shane created it for himself, on his own. That's what makes it so powerful for him. It's his system.

Old
  (#5)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
05-29-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
The most important thing that I got from that video was that regardless of whether versions of that system already exist, Shane created it for himself, on his own. That's what makes it so powerful for him. It's his system.
That s how i see it, too. Everyone who *learns* somehow a system has to work with it-and make it work for him- no matter which system may be. Some guys forget, that also the way you stroke does matter. Perhaps sometimes just nuances can make a big difference!

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Old
  (#6)
Swede59
You can call me SWEDE!
Swede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond reputeSwede59 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

05-29-2012, 08:53 AM

I've been using this system for a few months now. And IMO..its the BEST system out there. It's the missing ingredient in my game. THANKS Shane!

Old
  (#7)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2012, 03:39 PM

Shane did not create this system, its been around for a couple of decades.

It works and works well. I have been using it for at least the last 14 years. The system makes sense and is logical.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten.

Old
  (#8)
Sloppy Pockets
AzB Silver Member
Sloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
BASICALLY, left cut, aim the left edge of the ferrule to the right edge of the ob. Right cut, aim the right edge of the ferrule to the left edge of the ob.
That's not what I understand him to say:

Hard cut to the left (1/4 ball hit), line up the left side of the shaft with the right edge of the OB. Medium cut to the left (1/2 ball hit), line up the center of the shaft to the right edge of the OB. Slight cut to the left (3/4 ball hit), line up the right edge of the shaft with the right edge of the OB.

And, naturally, just the opposite for cuts to the right.

Old
  (#9)
Neil
Banned
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2012, 12:52 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-03-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Old
  (#10)
mikepage
Instructor, room owner
mikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy Pockets View Post
That's not what I understand him to say:

Hard cut to the left (1/4 ball hit), line up the left side of the shaft with the right edge of the OB. Medium cut to the left (1/2 ball hit), line up the center of the shaft to the right edge of the OB. Slight cut to the left (3/4 ball hit), line up the right edge of the shaft with the right edge of the OB.

And, naturally, just the opposite for cuts to the right.
I agree that the 1/2 ball hit is center of shaft to edge of object ball. But the other two are closer to 3/8-ball hit (outer edge of shaft to edge of object ball) and 5/8-ball hit (inner edge of shaft to edge of object ball).

What's important here, of course, is the player repeatedly, consistently makes the translation between the cut angle that can be seen from above and one of these convenient references that can be seen from down low.

Up high to down low; angle to overlap
Up high to down low; angle to overlap

wax on; wax off

Anything that forces you to be aware of these two perspectives in close proximity in a repeatable way will be beneficial.

Old
  (#11)
Sloppy Pockets
AzB Silver Member
Sloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Did you miss the BASICALLY in capitol letters, and the rest of the post??
Not at all, Neil. But you made no mention of the fact that he variably uses either edge of the shaft or the center line of the shaft for cuts that are all in the same direction, all depending on the severity of the cut. No offense meant, but this is not quite the way you worded it. Just trying to clarify is all, not saying you don't understand it.

Mike, I'll go with what you say about the amount of the OB ball hit, I was just using those numbers as an example of increasing severity of cut angle. You obviously have a better handle on the actual angles than I do.

At any rate, I found this to be a pretty interesting method. I've never used any sort of aiming system, not even ghost ball. They all confuse the Bejeezus out of me. However, this method seemed simple enough to understand, so I went down to the table and played with it a bit. I think it will be useful to me for certain shots, but I think there will still be lots of adjustments to make depending upon shot distance, speed, spin, etc.

bert kinister
Old
  (#12)
gmoney1
AzB Silver Member
gmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond reputegmoney1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

bert kinister - 05-30-2012, 05:15 PM

he teaches this method. left or right edge to the contact point to a certain degree cut. center of shaft to contact point up to certain angle. i worked with it and it does give a good 'framework' to go off of. i still believe envisioning the cb to contact point with a hair of outside english on cut shots is the simplest most effective way

ustream name - glbglb1234

Old
  (#13)
Neil
Banned

06-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Last edited by Neil; 07-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Old
  (#14)
Sloppy Pockets
AzB Silver Member

06-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Something else about this aiming method (which has been around a long time), I've often wondered if Lassister aimed this way because he liked having his ferrule red. I have noticed that at my age it can be a little difficult to clearly define the white of the ferrule from the white of the cb quickly. Coloring the ferrule could be quite a help with this system.
How about those light and dark striped wooden ferrules that I've seen at least one maker using on his cues? The idea is that a wooden ferrule reduces tip end mass, and therefore, deflection. However, it seems you could refine this aiming system by having more "edges" across the shaft diameter to use.

Old
  (#15)
Roy Vadas
Baby Seal Clubber
Roy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy Pockets View Post
How about those light and dark striped wooden ferrules that I've seen at least one maker using on his cues?
I use Laminated Maple Ferrules on all my shafts and the aiming edges are stellar.

~Roy

Veni - Vidi - Vici

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: