Vote for 14.1 Hall of Fame

Your pick for the 14.1 Hall of Fame

• Danny Diliberto - long time Pro Champ & expert 14.1 analyst & BCA Hall of Fame

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • Dallas West - numerous 14.1 champion & BCA Hall of Fame

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Lou Butera - Former World 14.1 Champion & BCA Hall of Fame

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Oliver Ortmann - 2x World 14.1 Champion & 2x US Open 14.1 Champ

Votes: 52 50.0%
  • Jack Colavita - Top 14.1 Legend & 7x NJ Champ, 14.1 Ambassador

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Gene Nagy - Legendary 14.1 player, 14.1 Instructor

Votes: 8 7.7%

• Total voters

DP.News

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are nearly done tallying votes but please feel free to vote on this poll.
Thank you and see you at the 2012 Hall of Fame banquet

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Dallas West is the most deserving of the nominees, although I cannot for the life of me figure out the criteria for nomination or induction.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dallas West is the most deserving of the nominees, although I cannot for the life of me figure out the criteria for nomination or induction.

They have "baseball cards" that they flip in the DP office. These baseball cards are actually just 3x5 index cards with names of "we think they're famous" 14.1 players written on them.

Here's the strategy:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=47qAZOCMFkg

Hey, might as well be, right?

-Sean

DP.News

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The final ballot was determined by number of emails and votes sent to us via websites, facebook, and email and tallied. These are the top 6 nominees which one will get in for greatest player category while the other will get in for ambassador/ unsung hero category.

Now we are collecting the final tally and votes of the top nominees.

Thank you. The announcement will be made shortly.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
The final ballot was determined by number of emails and votes sent to us via websites, facebook, and email and tallied. These are the top 6 nominees which one will get in for greatest player category while the other will get in for ambassador/ unsung hero category.

I find this interesting, because on Facebook, I never saw any mention of voting for the creation of the 14.1 HOF ballot of any kind. In fact:

1. Come to think of it, I hadn't seen this for the last two instances of the DP 14.1 HOF.
  2. The "Dragonpromo Dragonworldnews" Facebook page doesn't show anything related to votes for candidates to be placed on the ballot. Only voting for the finalized ballot itself.
  3. Charlie Williams' Facebook page is the same -- no mention of votes for candidates to be placed on the ballot. Only the finalized ballot itself.
  4. There's no mention of this on the Dragon Promotions website.
  5. There's no mention of this on the "World 14.1 Tournament" website, either.
May you please elaborate on where this data comes from? Please be specific, because there are many AZB readers here who are also on Facebook and "other websites" who never saw anything related to the creation of this ballot.

-Sean

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Who is in the DP 14.1 HoF already? I mean, I realize Ray Martin went in and for sure he deserves to be in anyone's pool-related HoF, but who else is in it? Mizerak? Mosconi? Crane? Sigel? Varner?

Is it already so full that you are truly saying that Oliver Ortmann is going to get in???

Freddie <~~~ didn't get the email

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please goto https://www.facebook.com/Worldstraightpool
And goto date May 26.
We have been tallying votes for 45+ days

Sorry, but this only proves the point resoundingly. This is buried so far back, that one has to know to look for it and use the "Search for older posts" link on that Facebook page to even find that request for votes!

Something like this should NEVER be a one-time "thought of the day" post on Facebook. It should be something that stays on the front page of wherever it's posted, and additionally, it's important enough that you should link to it from the other previously-mentioned DP pages, so that non-Facebook users will at least have a chance to provide input.

To post this *one time* back in May (and only on Facebook), never bumping it again (letting it disappear into the "Search for older posts" category) just shows how lackadaisically handled this was.

Do you honestly think Facebook is the only way to handle something like this? Do you honestly think the most die-hard 14.1 fans would go to Facebook, rather than a point-purpose discussion forum like this one?

-Sean

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Sorry, but this only proves the point resoundingly. This is buried so far back, that one has to know to look for it and use the "Search for older posts" link on that Facebook page to even find that request for votes!

Something like this should NEVER be a one-time "thought of the day" post on Facebook. It should be something that stays on the front page of wherever it's posted, and additionally, it's important enough that you should link to it from the other previously-mentioned DP pages, so that non-Facebook users will at least have a chance to provide input.

To post this *one time* back in May (and only on Facebook), never bumping it again (letting it disappear into the "Search for older posts" category) just shows how lackadaisically handled this was.

Do you honestly think Facebook is the only way to handle something like this? Do you honestly think the most die-hard 14.1 fans would go to Facebook, rather than a point-purpose discussion forum like this one?

-Sean

Let me ask the same question in another way: Since it seems you find this forum important enough to start a thread asking for votes on the final candidates and post all your press releases about the event, was there a thread posted here for voting on the nominees?

Look, this same discussion came up last year about who should be on the ballot and in the HoF but were not. And here we are again this year so obviously the omissions are deliberate. So we are simply asking for an explanation why.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I dunno. I think you have to be a former world 14.1 champion to even be considered for the 14.1 HOF--- unless it's denoted as "meritorious service" or something. Ortmann got my vote.

I still scratch my head on who put the list together. Ortmann definitely deserves it..... he stands alone on that list, imo.

DP.News

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-Sean

It was reposted in comments several times if you look. Plus email blasts and press news. In total, we had tallied hundreds of votes in messages and emails. Significantly more than last years. DP and our sponsors are more than content with the results.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was reposted in comments several times if you look. Plus email blasts and press news. In total, we had tallied hundreds of votes in messages and emails. Significantly more than last years. DP and our sponsors are more than content with the results.

Nice try, but WRONG. I did look. The finalized ballot was reposted several times, but not the voting for who goes on the list. You posted that formal Facebook request for candidate considerations *one time* on May 26th, and that was that. In fact, the last "comment" to that post was dated on June 2nd, and if one hadn't seen and "Liked" that post on May 26th, no notifications would've been received about "comments."

I'm sorry, but are you aware Facebook is a very inappropriate tool to use for something like this? Facebook is used for daily social networking -- not something that needs to stand a minor test of time. On Facebook, unless something is continually getting bumped and re-Shared, it gets quickly buried and lost.

This is a refreshed example of the repeated mishandling of this "Hall of Fame" as DogsPlayingPool mentions. You need to have this displayed prominently on a website somewhere -- somewhere that doesn't get pushed down or buried by an onslaught of Facebook updates. At least here on AZB's 14.1 forum (which, correct me if I'm wrong, more of your *knowledgeable* 14.1 enthusiasts would be, rather than "Facebook") a "poll" here would get the benefit of bumping everytime someone posts to it. Like it was said, you seem quick to post the drive-by press releases here, but no effort to a poll, or request for votes?

You can candycoat this with all the marketing drivel about "being satisfied" all you want, but this was entirely mishandled. AGAIN.

-Sean

DP.News

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. Lol.
We like to treat the value of each of the 300+ people that voted fairly and equally.

DP.News

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fans sent in their own picks which ranged from people outside of this group as well. The 6 current leaders in the votes are the culmination from several players that were nominated.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow. Lol.
We like to treat the value of each of the 300+ people that voted fairly and equally.

More marketing spin. Here's an example of intentionally missing the point, and creating an innuendo against the person (people, actually) that are trying to make a clear point: you don't use "Facebook" for something like a poll that needs to be visible for a period of time, or for people that have valuable input but may not have Facebook access and therefore will not see this "Facebook update."

The "WorldStraightPool.com" website would've been a GREAT place to post something like a request for candidates to the HOF. Or even the DP website.

But instead, you chose Facebook, posted a one-time "status of the day" on May 26th, and "checked the checkbox" that you posted a public request. E.g. "<check> Yep, we posted a public request for candidates. Nobody can accuse us of not doing so."

The insanity of this is just mind-boggling.
-Sean