DIY cue extension (my project)

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Once I decided I need a cue extension because I play straight pool regularly and often come up the shots around the rack which are too far to reach and hit them with high percentage. One of local pros noted that an extension provides great assistance in such cases, and yep he is correct. I was looking for a Hager extension as it is considered to make little harm, if any, to the cue. I could have had the task done by ordering a screw-in extension in our repair shop but I don't want my cue altered in any sence (which would be inevitable for such a procedure).

A year ago Jay Helfert mentioned using a vacuum cleaner tube in one of the threads about cue extensions. That gave me an idea. Later ArizonaPete described what I decided to develop further and implement in my own hand-made extension. I wanted not only to make something easy and reliable to use which will not scratch the cue, but also achieve the result at lowest cost possible ;)

I bought a couple of PVC pipes (1" I believe)

ext001.jpg

First thought I would have to make the diameter smaller somehow, like melting the tube with a fan a bit. But then it turned out the tube fits "as is" pretty good, since it had to carry soft cushioning inside. I decided my extension gonna be 18" long. So I made the housing for the cue holding part sawing off the rubber gasket holder off the tubes.

ext002.jpg, ext003.jpg

The inside ring is for extra strength of the joint as well as to lessen the inner diameter (this is where the cue was supposed to be held tight enough not to wobble on preliminary strokes).
ext004.jpg

As a material which would at the same time be soft enough not to damage the cue and be able to provide a tight grip of it I decided to use neoprene, managed to get some pieces at no cost. There are two rolls of neoprene, inner one to adjust for proper thickness inside.
ext005.jpg

Vahmurka

Silver Member
continued

ext006.jpg
Wrapped the tube with leatherette. First planned to make it dark grey to match my cue color but then picked this one for the sake of keeping the cost low (twice as cheap as grey) and also grey was a bit thicker while I needed the thinnest. Had there been grey of same thickness, would have went for it.
Covered the stitches and edges by a black velvet ribbon as a final touch.

ext007.jpg, ext008.jpg

ext009.jpg, ext010.jpg

Vahmurka

Silver Member
how it works

Now such shots, previously uncomfortable, are a charm to reach without the rest and make a confident stroke like taking an ordinary shot. So far, I'm pretty happy with the result, especially provided I managed to stay on the cheapo side and the result per cost is even more satisfactory.
ext011.jpg

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Nice work! You should sell those.
thanks, I could only if customers agree to wait half a year (that would help to make them prestigious, LOL). And I think premium pricing policy should be helpful too, so let them cost a hundo :):smile::)
Funny thing, now I got so comfortable with previously unreachable and awkward shots that sometimes I hardly hold myself not to play bad position intentionally - because I know I can reach a ball anyway. Well, not that serious, but like I accounted for, the extension is very handy in straight pool where after secondary breaks a cue ball sometimes finishes little awkward for a single shot possible.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
thanks, I could only if customers agree to wait half a year (that would help to make them prestigious, LOL). And I think premium pricing policy should be helpful too, so let them cost a hundo :):smile::)
Funny thing, now I got so comfortable with previously unreachable and awkward shots that sometimes I hardly hold myself not to play bad position intentionally - because I know I can reach a ball anyway. Well, not that serious, but like I accounted for, the extension is very handy in straight pool where after secondary breaks a cue ball sometimes finishes little awkward for a single shot possible.

Mike your cue extension came out looking very nice. It looks lightweight, sturdy and functional. Your pictures are great also. Thanks for sharing.