Break Stats -- Accu-Stats "Make-It-Happen" 8-Ball Invitational, Day 4 (8/12/12)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Break Stats -- Accu-Stats "Make-It-Happen" 8-Ball Invitational, Day 4 (8/12/12)

Here are the break statistics from the four 8-ball matches streamed today (final day of 4) by Accu-Stats from the 6-player invitational event at Sandcastle Billiards in Edison, NJ.

The conditions for this call-shot 8-ball match included the following: 10-foot Diamond Smart Table with 4 7/16" corner pockets, Simonis 860 cloth that is not new, measles cue ball, red and yellow object balls instead of stripes and solids, alternating breaks, referee racks with a Diamond wooden triangle rack, break from anywhere behind the line, table open after the break, ball in hand behind the line after a foul on the break, 90-second time clock after the break, and 45-second time clock on other shots.

The 4 matches (49 games) were as follows:
Deuel def. Reyes 8-5​
Appleton d. Van Boening 8-2​
Pagulayan d. Archer 8-5​
Pagulayan d. Appleton 8-5​

The breaker had the following results:
Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and won the game -- 21 (43%)​
Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and lost the game -- 3 (6%)​
Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 9 (18%)​
Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 16 (33%)​

For all of these players combined, a ball was made on the break (without fouling) 24 of the 49 games (49%), the breaker won 30 of the 49 games (61%), and the breaker won 21 of the 24 games (88%) in which he made a ball on the break.

Break-and-run games:
17 of the 49 games (35%) were won by break and run.​
17 of the 30 games (57%) that were won by the breaker were won by break and run.​
7 of the 17 break-and-run games were consecutive games in the Pagulayan/Archer match -- a 7-pack of sorts!​

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't know if I have ever thanked you for these threads.
I read every word in every one.
...just wanted you to know that...:bow-down:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know if I have ever thanked you for these threads.
I read every word in every one.
...just wanted you to know that...:bow-down:

Thank you. I enjoy doing them; it makes me pay attention!

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
This was a really enjoyable tournament to watch. To state the obvious, the Lion is an animal, defeating DA not just once, but TWICE! Shane was just not himself, and Efren, well... it was fun watching him compete despite the results. Cory made two sick kicks (both aginst Efren I believe) to win games that had the crowd roaring.

As usual, Pat and the Accu-stats crew put on a top knotch show. The commentary from Billy, Danny, and Ken was just terrific. I was laughing out loud at some of the exchanges between Billy and Danny, but then again, you can always count on that when you get those two together. They add tremendously to the show.

AAA+++ When can we do it again? :thumbup:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This was a really enjoyable tournament to watch. ...

AAA+++ When can we do it again? :thumbup:

From what they said, they will be doing more "Make-It-Happen" events in the future, playing different games.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Three 8 Balls made on the break

Here are the break statistics from the four 8-ball matches streamed today (final day of 4) by Accu-Stats from the 6-player invitational event at Sandcastle Billiards in Edison, NJ.

The conditions for this call-shot 8-ball match included the following: 10-foot Diamond Smart Table with 4 1/2" corner pockets, Simonis 860 cloth that is not new, measles cue ball, red and yellow object balls instead of stripes and solids, alternating breaks, referee racks with a Diamond wooden triangle rack, break from anywhere behind the line, table open after the break, ball in hand behind the line after a foul on the break, 90-second time clock after the break, and 45-second time clock on other shots.

The 4 matches (49 games) were as follows:
  • Deuel def. Reyes 8-5
  • Appleton d. Van Boening 8-2
  • Pagulayan d. Archer 8-5
  • Pagulayan d. Appleton 8-5
The breaker had the following results:
  • Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and won the game -- 21 (43%)
  • Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and lost the game -- 3 (6%)
  • Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 9 (18%)
  • Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 16 (33%)
For the two players combined, a ball was made on the break (without fouling) 24 of the 49 games (49%), the breaker won 30 of the 49 games (61%), and the breaker won 21 of the 24 games (88%) in which he made a ball on the break.

Break-and-run games: 17 of the 49 games (35%) were won by break and run. 17 of the 30 games (57%) that were won by the breaker were won by break and run. 7 of the 17 break-and-run games were consecutive games in the Pagulayan/Archer match -- a 7-pack of sorts!

Just to add a few notes:
Corey Duel made the 8-ball twice on the break in one set (both in the side pocket).
Alex made one 8-ball on the break in another set (also in the side pocket), for which he received an extra $500.00.
The 8-ball was driven to the back rail off the break only once, and that was done by Johnny Archer.
Also, Pat Fleming told me that the pocket width is 4-7/16ths, just a hair shy of 4-1/2.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to add a few notes:
Corey Duel made the 8-ball twice on the break in one set (both in the side pocket).
Alex made one 8-ball on the break in another set (also in the side pocket), for which he received an extra $500.00.
The 8-ball was driven to the back rail off the break only once, and that was done by Johnny Archer.
Also, Pat Fleming told me that the pocket width is 4-7/16ths, just a hair shy of 4-1/2.

Thanks for the info. The 8-balls on the break were in matches prior to Sunday (my post #1 concerns the Sunday matches only). And I believe your comment about pocket size is correct. A commentator said 4 1/2". But this was one of the tables from the Tunica event, and the size there was reported as 4 7/16". I will edit post #1 to reflect that.

Last edited: