Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Brunswick Gold Crown II Vs. Diamond
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
itsfroze
AzB Silver Member
itsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpele View Post
Alright so I was having a conversation with a table mechanic yesterday and the question came up about which pool table to buy. He said the only pool table he would ever recommend is an Olhausen. Then I brought up Gold Crown and he said yes but only a Gold Crown II because of the adjustable legs.

What did interest me was when he said Diamond sucks and not to even consider it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if he was on bad terms with the Diamond company or not he seemed to allude to it.
Yes that mech. was a (I'll be nice) not so smart.

Old
  (#17)
itsfroze
AzB Silver Member
itsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I believe I phrased it wrong. Like I said I think there is some argument that went on between the Diamond company and this guy but I can't be sure as nothing specific was ever said.

To clear the air- the guy I talked to is a VERY good, VERY knowledgable table mechanic so maybe I should change the direction of this thread.

Can someone tell me what the main differences are between Diamond tables, Brunswick Gold Crown II, and Olhausen that you would be able to see in daily life?
----------
To my knowledge Gold Crown II"s are not the only Gold Crowns with adjustable legs or I should say adjustable feet on them.

Old
  (#18)
zpele
AzB Silver Member
zpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfroze View Post
----------
To my knowledge Gold Crown II"s are not the only Gold Crowns with adjustable legs or I should say adjustable feet on them.
I'm sure your right but I was more referring to Gold Crown IIs being of the same make as the Gold Crown I but with adjustable legs. I believe something in the construction was changed for the Gold Crown IIIs but they may have adjustable feet as well.

Old
  (#19)
itsfroze
AzB Silver Member

08-30-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I'm sure your right but I was more referring to Gold Crown IIs being of the same make as the Gold Crown I but with adjustable legs. I believe something in the construction was changed for the Gold Crown IIIs but they may have adjustable feet as well.
Actually I was referring to Gold Crown I's when I made that statement.
But you also need to remember when your talking about a table that old you will get gullies along the rails in the slate from use. Unless you are lucky enough to find a Gold Crown I or II that was hardly used, good luck with that. There is a reason almost all the biggest tournaments use Diamond tables, don't you think?

Old
  (#20)
Fast Davie NC
AzB Silver Member
Fast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond reputeFast Davie NC has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMIII View Post
I was in this same quandry a couple of years ago. There were plenty of Olhausen's to be had, only a couple of GCs, and no diamonds in or around my area (DFW). I made my decision this way:
1. I wanted a very durable table, preferable commercial quality, and similar to what the pros play on; this qualification removed Olhausen. Most Olhausen tables are home grade tables and don't have the same durability as GCs or Diamonds. I didn't want to run into leveling problems due to inferior hardware or structural designs.
2. I wanted something affordable that could be tuned up eventually to tournament standards. A good table mechanic can do this with just about any solid foundation, but I know most prefer the sturdiness of a GC or Diamond.
3. More GCs were available at a decent price. I bought mine for $700. It's a GC III and was tuned up by RKC. He can make any table play like a wet dream. He didn't seem to think there were too many negatives surrounding newer GCs, other than they weren't quite the same quality, but still better than anything else out there. With his tuning my table plays better than even a new diamond.
4. If I had the cash and could have afforded it right away, I would have bought a diamond. But the situation wasn't there at the time, and I love my cobracized GC more anyways. It's got a classic look with an updated playing surface. The best part is my wife thinks it looks great. I showed her a picture of the cocobolo diamond and she said it looked ugly! I'm happy to have my GC and it keeps my wife happy too. There's not much more I can ask of it, other than the winning lottery numbers....
Good Luck with your search-Ryan
Good Post!! I recall I was in the same situation not long ago! Love my wife and my Mark Gregory tuned GC4

Old
  (#21)
naji
AzB Silver Member

naji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Alright so I was having a conversation with a table mechanic yesterday and the question came up about which pool table to buy. He said the only pool table he would ever recommend is an Olhausen. Then I brought up Gold Crown and he said yes but only a Gold Crown II because of the adjustable legs.

What did interest me was when he said Diamond sucks and not to even consider it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if he was on bad terms with the Diamond company or not he seemed to allude to it.
For a pool hall Gold Crown, for home use any one will do.

Old
  (#22)
porper-sig
AzB Silver Member
porper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond reputeporper-sig has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:

The mechanic just can't play worth a shite on the DIAMOND. Of course, they must suck then..

Old School
Old
  (#23)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Old School - 08-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:

There is a table mechanic (well known ) in our area that is very old school and promotes nothing but Gold crown I 's.When he works on a Diamond he trys to make them play like an old Brunswick.Someone at Valley Forge told me to get someone to redo my table that is familiar with Diamonds.My table now plays great and he pointed out the faults of the old school mecahnic.The guy grew up with Gold crown I 's and is closed minded on the subject.I think there are a lot of old timers like that out there.Before I bought my Diamond I must have asked at least 25 to 40 players at the US Open what table they liked the best and the vast majority picked Diamonds and this was when the Open still used Gold Crown IV's.

Old
  (#24)
mantis99
AzB Silver Member
mantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstoer View Post
If they suck wonder why most pro events and large tournaments are all done on diamonds ?
I don't think they suck, but that is more about money than anything else. Fusion tables have. Even used in the past few years and I doubt anyone would argue that they are the best.

Whatever table is being used in tournaments seems to gain notoriety at the time. When Olhausen was doing all the tournaments, you commonly saw people talking about how great they were. Brunswick has definitely seen better sales they started doing more tournaments again, and now diamond is taking the strength of their product and combining it with the validity that comes with being part of pro events. In the end though, it means nothing to be the table at an event except that that company was willing to pay for the sponsorship.

Old
  (#25)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 12:11 PM

The fact he said that Olhausen was the only table to buy tells you how much value his opinion has and perhaps also tells you something about him as a mechanic.

Quote:
If they suck wonder why most pro events and large tournaments are all done on diamonds ?
It's simple really. Diamond likely offers the best package to promoters for providing tables. Naturally this doesn't mean or even suggest that Diamonds are not great tables because we all know they are. But as far as use at tournaments goes, typically I'd think whoever gives the promoter the best deal will get the gig. If Brunswick, with its checkbook, decided to seriously promote its tables this way, you might not see Diamonds at very many tournaments outside of the DCC and CSI events.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Last edited by DogsPlayingPool; 08-30-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Old
  (#26)
TheCutShot
AzB Silver Member
TheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond reputeTheCutShot has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 12:45 PM

Why not ask the "RealKingCobra" which is the best? He's one of the best Mechanics around and has probably worked on almost every brand & model of Pool Table there is!

Preparation + Opportunity = Success

Old
  (#27)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 12:47 PM

he probably wasnt a very rounded pool player but just a mechanic. so he may have been recommending from his experience at setting tables up rather than how they play.

Rkc
Old
  (#28)
RAMIII
AzB Silver Member
RAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond reputeRAMIII has a reputation beyond repute

Rkc - 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Um yeah, except RKC owned and ran a pool hall for a number of years in the NW and knows how to handle himself on and below a table
My guess is that Glen would say Diamonds are the best (for a new table the price can't be beat)--he does help with their design after all; then GC's, but that with a little fine tuning a GC can easily be brought up to speed.

Old
  (#29)
Banks
It's Gotta Go Somewhere

Banks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

08-30-2012, 01:04 PM

You made a simple mistake, no biggie..

Don't ask your auto mechanic which car to buy.

D-Bag Club: AKA Sand Bag

Player & Breaker: Valley Supreme, 15oz

I'm the Prince of poverty hangin' out in bars - NOFX

Buyer Beware - Aiming "systems" do not work as claimed.

Old
  (#30)
backplaying
AzB Silver Member
backplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Because diamond is the sponsor.

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: