Players HXT = Lucasi Hybrid?

Sgtkillmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been wondering this for a while now, and the basic premise is: Lucasi and Players are made by the same company so the HXT shaft and Hybrid shaft seem pretty similar.

Players hxt shaft: Zero flex point ferrule

Hybrid shaft: Zero flex point ferrule
8 spliced

Other than splicing, are these two shafts the same, and do they play the same? I plan on doing a comparison between the two soon but I haven't seen a thread on the matter before.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

charlieeeh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually like the Players shaft a lot more than the Lucasi Hybrid. All of the "hybrid" shafts feel a bit off. Jacoby Hybrids are the only hybrids worth considering imo, maybe Mezz as well. The players hxt shafts hit amazing.

a503

Banned
I've had the opposite results as charlieeeh. I experienced more squirt playing with the HXT than on my regular non-ld shaft. The lucasi hybrid slim plays like a z shaft to me. It has a nice, crisp, stiff hit.

I think that the ferrule used is probably the same material, but the splicing and taper also makes a difference too. I literally just gave the HXT away locally as NOBODY wanted to buy it.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually like the Players shaft a lot more than the Lucasi Hybrid. All of the "hybrid" shafts feel a bit off. Jacoby Hybrids are the only hybrids worth considering imo, maybe Mezz as well. The players hxt shafts hit amazing.
I totally agree with you.I've played with them all
and can honestly say out of the 2 Hxt shafts I've hit with,they both played
incredibly well.
They feel much better than a good majority of the LD shafts out there.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the price of a HXT shaft, who can argue? A friend of mine bought a Players HXT cue for around $120. I tried the cue out and didn't like it. Luckily, it was the same joint as my cue so I tried the shaft. It was actually enjoyable to play with. It didn't feel cheep, it had low squirt and had a nice solid hit. What other low squirt shaft can you get for under $100 with a Kamui S already installed? It isn't up their with the predator or OB shafts, they are way out in front IMO, but its in the chasing group definately. I'd like to hear a review if the OP doesn't mind.

Sgtkillmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for contributing your knowledge to this thread guys.

I have still yet to try a Lucasi Hybrid shaft to compare it to the HXT but once I do I will post a comparison between the two. So far it sounds like the HXT is a better value and fits the needs of players sufficiently.

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
Both shafts have their strong points over the other, and I like them both.

The key is to test the shafts on the same butt like I did and make sure the shafts are the same weight.

I personally feel a hair more comfortable with the Lucasi Hybrid shaft than the Players HXT. Both shafts are tough to beat with the price/performance and their Lifetime warpage warranty.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I have an HXT (13mm, Kamui super soft), I have a SS360 shaft (12.5mm, Tiger Sniper tip on a Joss butt), I have a super stiff Falcon BS-7 (13mm, Tiger Sniper).

I did a side by side comparison with all 3.
My Falcon shoots straight, good english and cb control. The shaft is about indestructable. Worn almost past the finish but still straight as an arrow. (I bought it used). I had a different tip on it before that I could draw or make shape for crap. The tip impoved the cue ten fold.

The Players HXT I actually wrote a review on in the cue review section. For under $100 delivered, I really cant complain. The butt feels a little cheap, but the shaft feels great. The solid shaft with the low deflection ferrule feels great, great cue ball control and leaves alot ability to make shape through a rack. Also the draw and english factor is good too.

The SS360 was by far the best offering rigidity, feel, balance and control.

I have used a Lucasi hybrid for a few racks and to be honest I wasn't impressed. I think part of it was the price of the cue. When I got the HXT, it felt better and for the price was impressive :thumbup:

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the ferrule/tenon construction on the hxt and hybrids are the same, so in terms of deflection they should be equal. the hybrid is laminated and the hxt is not, that's the main difference.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
ive played with them all

and they all have their benefits, and they all will have different reactions from different people. The lucasi hybrid and hxt shafts are great for the price, solid hitters but you need an adjustment period with them like any new shaft. the OB are not that great for me, they work too well, little feedback but great with deflection, and the new predators as far as built are still top of the list but they make so many now that quality has gone down IMO, the first gen shafts were fantastic. I havent tried the OB classic, so if anyone wants to send me one Ill give them my opinion:wink:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I havent tried the OB classic, so if anyone wants to send me one Ill give them my opinion:wink:

I think you'd like it, but you ain't gettin' mine :wink:!!!

Maniac (also has an HXT shaft and thinks its value is good)