A lesson in Focus - Efren

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Lenny posted this on Facebook.

It's a match between Efren Reyes and a guy named Dondon for 88,000 pesos, or about $6900 Race to 23.

This match just happened this year. It's done on a pool table set up on a basketball court open to the air, bugs on the table, surrounded by a crowd moving around, between every game there are people running around taking bets on the game, kids, chickens and dogs yelling and barking.

So watch how Efren plays in this condition. Look at his choices. Look at the patterns he chooses. See why he is the best all-around player in the world. If you can't learn many new shots in this set you jut don't want to learn :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc14fGCe2k8&feature=g-hist

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
How do you think Earl would do in that environment?

BTW: 88'000 Phillipine pesos is a little over 2k American.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
How do you think Earl would do in that environment?

BTW: 88'000 Phillipine pesos is a little over 2k American.

Sorry I was using google's currency conversion. I must have input the wrong currency.

$2142 Still enough to make Efren focus.

Earl would go nuts. But honestly, if he would play more in environments like that it would be better for him in my opinion.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Efren is amazing. People running around, running up to the table while he is shooting the money ball. No matter... he just plays it out.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this. Most players who use a lot of English make the game look harder, as compared to center ball play. Efren uses a lot of English but he seems to make the game look easier. For example, look at the shot at 2:10. I would play that with a bit of follow and no English, and I think most players would too. Efren's creativity is what makes him so fun to watch.

Also, the venue makes the Mosconi Cup look like it's played in a library.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this. Most players who use a lot of English make the game look harder, as compared to center ball play. Efren uses a lot of English but he seems to make the game look easier. For example, look at the shot at 2:10. I would play that with a bit of follow and no English, and I think most players would too. Efren's creativity is what makes him so fun to watch.

Exactly my point. I think even the other pros could learn a lot about how Efren manages the table here.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks

Thanks for the posting......I only watched the part one and part 6..... After watching the first couple of misses by Dondon, I wonder how much of a spot he got.......he sure didn't seem to be in Efren's class......I saw someone post that Efren won 23-11.........

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thanks for the posting......I only watched the part one and part 6..... After watching the first couple of misses by Dondon, I wonder how much of a spot he got.......he sure didn't seem to be in Efren's class......I saw someone post that Efren won 23-11.........

I was wondering the same thing. Obviously things would have been different if Efren was facing a top player. But I like watching a match like this because it shows another side of the game and just how differently a top pro works the table vs. a good amateur. Forget about Dondon's misses and just look at his patterns vs Efren's.

Reactions: TSW

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But I like watching a match like this because it shows another side of the game and just how differently a top pro works the table vs. a good amateur. Forget about Dondon's misses and just look at his patterns vs Efren's.

Exactly. Dondon kept getting out of line. He's clearly a good player, but his position play keeps making the table hard on himself. All of us amateurs can relate.

Efren's rotation patterns are even a step above other top pros IMO. Like that inside English shot I posted before. Change the table position even a little bit and it's no longer as attractive. There's a fine line between genius and stupidity, and Efren seems to have a sixth sense about where that line is.

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think i'm subscribed to the kid's channel who uploaded these videos. He has some other action games with some lesser known players in the Phillippines uploaded as well-I suggest people check them out.

Banks

Banned

Nice play there, just going straight up the window for the shot.

I've said it plenty before.. playing in a bar has helped a lot. Once you can get past people yelling, bumping into you, sitting on your table, people talking to you while you shoot, boobs over the pocket, random blaring music, etc.. I see videos like that and it looks like fun. :embarrassed2:

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren's rotation patterns are even a step above other top pros IMO.

Have you ever watched Efren run-out 15 balls in rotation over and over again?

The increase in difficulty between one ball on the table is ridiculous, I can't imagine having to run an extra five with all of the combos/caroms/obstructions etc.

Efren really is something else, i'm always learning when I watch him play.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a typical gambling situation I used to play in, in western NC. Bar action makes you stronger, no doubt!

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, did anybody notice all the coke on each side of the table? I know its not but it reminds me of an 80's Miami Vice episode.

Just sayin' could be how they are so focused...?

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The increase in difficulty between one ball on the table is ridiculous, I can't imagine having to run an extra five with all of the combos/caroms/obstructions etc.

Efren really is something else, i'm always learning when I watch him play.

I agree 100%. Most of the time, I can anticipate what a pro will do - they of course execute it better than I can. Efren, more than anyone else, will do something I don't expect and will make me question my own assumptions.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Are you sure you want to play straight pool?

In the practice room of the Sands Reno tournament in the late 80's I was watching Efren practice. Another player started barking at him to play some straight pool. While talking Efren broke and ran 2 racks in rotation. After the second rack he looked at the guy and asked, "Are you sure you want to play straight pool?" :D

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, did anybody notice all the coke on each side of the table? I know its not but it reminds me of an 80's Miami Vice episode.

Just sayin' could be how they are so focused...?

LOL that's funny. It's talcum powder that they use to mark positions when a player is about to lean over a ball. They don't play all ball fouls so if the balls are moved they just put them back.

The link is showing unavailable.

It's up now. Someone download all these and put them together into one file. I would except that I suck at video editing and have no time.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
When did this match take place?

Makes me sick to watch,...he is SOOOOO f'ing smooth...makes the game look so damn easy.....it's like cheating, lol when your that good. You'd think he would get bored just going thru the motions.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've just watched the first 3 games so far. Reminds me of the pit at Valley Forge.

Someone said it ended up something like 23-11. Did Efren remain standing & walking around, through the whole thing?