Varner & Hall Legends DVD Review

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was lucky to have won the contest that Mark Cantrill offered. And am I glad I won it - Thank you, Mark!

I would have purchased the one-pocket disk whether I won or not, but it's cool to see the others as well (8-ball; 9-ball; 14.1; & 1-pocket). I went right for the 1-pocket dvd once receiving it in the mail and loved it.

The format is really well laid out: Buddy & Nick both talk about the break while giving examples; they talk about specialty shots that they call "tricks of the trade"; They play racks against each other discussing what they are thinking to get insight of a champion's thought process; and offer some drills. It's very complete and easy to watch and understand - they are both so easy going they work very well together.

This format was also used in the 8-ball (the only other dvd I watched in its entirety so far). I also watched some of the 9-ball so I may get things confused, but I think the 8-ball dvd also included Buddy teaching his "clock" system and how he aims short rail banks. The point is they are really trying to teach stuff in these dvds and not just going through the motions.

The individual or the set would make a great Xmas gift to anyone that wants to improve their pool game, no matter what level.

Again, many thanks Mark. Happy holidays to you, Buddy & Nick and their families.

Dave

Last edited:

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I was lucky to have won the contest that Mark Cantrill offered. And am I glad I won it - Thank you, Mark!

I would have purchased the one-pocket disk whether I won or not, but it's cool to see the others as well (8-ball; 9-ball; 14.1; & 1-pocket). I went right for the 1-pocket dvd once receiving it in the mail and loved it.

The format is really well laid out: Buddy & Nick both talk about the break while giving examples; they talk about specialty shots that they call "tricks of the trade"; They play racks against each other discussing what they are thinking to get insight of a champion's thought process; and offer some drills. It's very complete and easy to watch and understand - they are both so easy going they work very well together.

This format was also used in the 8-ball (the only other dvd I watched in its entirety so far). I also watched some of the 9-ball so I may get things confused, but I think the 8-ball dvd also included Buddy teaching his "clock" system and how he aims short rail banks. The point is they are really trying to teach stuff in these dvds and not just going through the motions.

The individual or the set would make a great Xmas gift to anyone that wants to improve their pool game, no matter what level.

Again, many thanks Mark. Happy holidays to you, Buddy & Nick and their families.

Dave
Thank you Dave for posting this review, I am glad you enjoyed it so far. The 14.1 dvd is pretty cool too. While we were making these dvds we got to the 14.1 section and Nick and Buddy asked well what do you think would be good for people to see? I told Nick "Well, lets just start with you. Just run 100 balls and talk through it as you go" I obviously have more confidence in Nick's ability that is normal since everyone in the room laughed and repeated my statements in a mocking fashion "Yeah, Nick Just run 100 balls and talk through it. That shouldn't take long" Anyway, Nick says well lets give it a try and fairly cold to the table he starts and runs over 100. When is run comes to an end I say "See thats what I like about Nick he does everything that is asked of him" :)

As I have said before, both Nick and Buddy both agreed that they had learned something new from each other while shooting these.

Thanks again Dave.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best instructionals available, in my opinion. I won one last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk