Pin Question

TrueBlue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you change a cue pin once it has been installed? I am asking because I am considering purchasing a cue that has a G-10 radial pin and would prefer an aluminum or SS. I have heard some negative things about G-10 pins which may or may not be true.

Is it difficult to do and what does a repair like that usually cost?

avscue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure what you heard but the g10 is designed to be replaced easily.

TrueBlue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure what you heard but the g10 is designed to be replaced easily.

ok thank you...heard about shavings from the pin damaging shaft threads and it does not stay tight when screwed together...I do not have any personal experience just saw a few blogs...was just checking to see if it could be changed if I got it and had issues with the pin...

avscue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the g10 pin is a premium pin, i personally would leave it alone. i've never seen them coming apart but they do have sharper crowns than the metal. the pin is used for less weight and to protect the butt and shaft if it were to fall over....the pin would break instead of putting stress on the joint and possibly splitting the shaft or screwing up the collar. you just drill out the glass pin parts that are broke and replace. if you lightly buff the pin, you should not have any problems.

Last edited:

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm totally wrong, but...

Pins are made out of G10 because it's light yet very strong. I highly doubt "ease of replacement" factored into the picture. Yes, G10 pins are far easier to machine out than a metal pin. Then again, when replacing a metal pin it's much easier to heat the pin to break down the glue.

As far as the G10 pin "protecting" the joint during a fall... Huh? Have you ever tried to break a G10 pin? Clamp one in a vise and whack it with a hammer. I guarantee you they're stronger than you're describing. If an "accident" occurs that breaks the G10 pin, I'd be willing to bet there's going to be more repairs needed to the cue than just a new pin.

The typical "problem" with G10 pins is this: G10 pins can only effectively be made into large threaded pins (3/8-10, Radial, etc.) which screw into wooden threads in the shaft. The raw G10 material is quite abrasive and over time it will grind down the inner surface of the wooden threads causing the joint to loosen up. Some remedies are wax or thin CA on the G10 threads.

G10 pins are no more "premium" than stainless, brass, or aluminum.

Last edited:

avscue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well jeff, apparently the MFG is not quite as familiar with their material as they should be. still, i have not tried to break the pin but it may be worth the experiment. i personally "buff" the pin but a CA wipe would seem to work as well. as far as "premium", i couldn't think of a better way at the time to explain it. the g10 radials were pricey when they came out, but i would agree in terms of performance you are correct.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Has anyone experienced a G10 pin breaking? I have only put in a few and I have had no problems. I don't think they are really that abrasive but I use a phenolic insert in the shaft. I have heard that they loosen up while playing but never have seen it happen.

Kim