Am I crazee or what ??

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Last Saturday I went to a poolhall in Mass. for a charity event tournament. I have never been there before or even heard of it until this event. I believe they had 20 tables there. Not 1 of them was a diamond table. There were nine 9ft tables; a combination of GC2's and Centennials. The other eleven or so tables were 7ft Valleys. ALL of them had Simonas 860 cloth and were in pristine condition.

Here is what is making me crazee...

I took about 8 practice shots before being called onna Brunswick Centennial 9 ft table that was in the middle of the poolhall. It was 30+ yrs old if it was a day, and looked like it came out of a time capsule ! Of those 8 practice shots, 4 of them were bankshots. I could not believe how well these shots came off of the rail ! :smile: This table is calling me like the sirens in Homer's Illiad !! :yikes::yikes: It is 113 mi away (one-way)

Yes, it came off of the rail that nice !! I have played all kinds of tables,..... Diamonds, Olhausen's, Brunswick, Valley's,... and a host of secondary tables.This is not THAT TABLE, but looks just like it. What's wrong with me ???

IMG_0694.jpg

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this in Western MA? I think I know the room, tables are a couple of steps bellow the counter? Never noticed this table there, but I was only there a couple of times maybe 6-7 years ago. I did remember when I was there, some guys were playing in the middle and one of them said he can bank over 30 in a row. From watching him shoot, he was exagerating by about 29.

Last edited:

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
If Mark Gregory did the rail work on that table,that's why it plays so good.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like Ivory Billiards Lounge, Holyoke, MA.

Edit: P.S. -- Those Centennial tables are a lot older than 30 years. Centennials were made from 1945-1964. Ivory Billiards opened in 1945.

Last edited:

DrClean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table shown in OP, is a BEAUTIFUL looking table. Favorite style of brunswick tables. just sayin :D

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
If Mark Gregory did the rail work on that table,that's why it plays so good.

This is the point I'm trying to get to.

Is it just me?, or is there some special work done to the rails on this particular table? I know I have played on Centennials before, but I am almost certain I would have remembered how they reacted when they hit a rail like this table did ! It was far & above any regular bar or poolhall junkie type table ! :cool:

I'll reveal the poolhaul & table number towards the end of the thread.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best tables ever built in my book--that's why I have a restored Cent in the rec room of my house--the aluminum sides shone like light bulbs being turned on after they removed from the box they were enclosed in ,I had them repolished--what beautiful tables they are--and play great.

DrClean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the point I'm trying to get to.

Is it just me?, or is there some special work done to the rails on this particular table? I know I have played on Centennials before, but I am almost certain I would have remembered how they reacted when they hit a rail like this table did ! It was far & above any regular bar or poolhall junkie type table ! :cool:

I'll reveal the poolhaul & table number towards the end of the thread.

I'm curious as to how these rails played better than others. did the OBs seem to come off more geometrically accurate than any other table you've played on, or just looked to come off the rails in a more beautiful fashion?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Azzzzzz !!!

I'm curious as to how these rails played better than others. did the OBs seem to come off more geometrically accurate than any other table you've played on, or just looked to come off the rails in a more beautiful fashion?

I typed you a nice long response hit send and AZ froze ! :angry:

Let me put it this way w/o typing that huge mess that pj wudda had to have commented on. (it was technical troll bait)
pj, yer a good guy,............ I'm just not going to "discuss/argue" w/you here, thats NOT the point of this thread.

I think there are 3 basic types of rail conditions. They are : squishy(soft).... neutral(natural),.... & Brittle(hard) The condition of an aged pool table is always suspect until played. This particular table did NOT let me down.

It played perfectly. I hadda 1/2 table 1 rail bank for the corner and it went in just fine with alil more than lag speed and a 20.5 diamond aim. (typical is 21 plus for a 1 rail like that) The OB lost very little speed in travelling to the pocket after the rail ! :smile:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I even cracked a smile of approval afterwards. I knew where the "A" players in this place played ! :grin:

(not that I am one !)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you want that pool room to make any money from me you better name it :)

And how were the rest of the tables?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Last Saturday I went to a poolhall in Mass. for a charity event tournament. I have never been there before or even heard of it until this event. I believe they had 20 tables there. Not 1 of them was a diamond table. There were nine 9ft tables; a combination of GC2's and Centennials. The other eleven or so tables were 7ft Valleys. ALL of them had Simonas 860 cloth and were in pristine condition.

Here is what is making me crazee...

I took about 8 practice shots before being called onna Brunswick Centennial 9 ft table that was in the middle of the poolhall. It was 30+ yrs old if it was a day, and looked like it came out of a time capsule ! Of those 8 practice shots, 4 of them were bankshots. I could not believe how well these shots came off of the rail ! :smile: This table is calling me like the sirens in Homer's Illiad !! :yikes::yikes: It is 113 mi away (one-way)

Yes, it came off of the rail that nice !! I have played all kinds of tables,..... Diamonds, Olhausen's, Brunswick, Valley's,... and a host of secondary tables.This is not THAT TABLE, but looks just like it. What's wrong with me ???

View attachment 255609

Now that's what a pool table is supposed to look like. :)

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
gotta pic ??

Best tables ever built in my book--that's why I have a restored Cent in the rec room of my house--the aluminum sides shone like light bulbs being turned on after they removed from the box they were enclosed in ,I had them repolished--what beautiful tables they are--and play great.

You gotta pic of your table? I'd like to see it !

All I could picture after shooting on that table was a buncha elder gentlemen shooting on this table all nite lonnng. Money hanging on the light, and good times w/friends & fellow "afficianados" :cool: :)

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
PM me

Well if you want that pool room to make any money from me you better name it :)

And how were the rest of the tables?

The rest of the tables played nice. I didn't play all 20 obviously, but I did play 3-4 of the 7 footers. I wasn't too happy as it was 8-ball alternating blind doubles race to 3. I figured I was donating anyway since it wassa new place and the regs knew the tables.

Since ya in Mass., and yer kid plays decent; PM me as I wanna save it for a lil later on.

Does anyone else feel the same way toward a particular table as I feel toward this one ??