Cue ID - Benson?

HCCaver

Registered
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me for sure that this is a Rich Benson cue. I bought this 13 years ago from a guy in Washington state. He told me it was a Richard Benson cue. At the time, I didnt care who made it, nor did I know who R. Rich Benson was - All I knew is that I wanted a custom cue.

What I can tell you is this - It definitely came from Washington State - I bought it off of Ebay. If I remember correctly, a billiard owner sold it to the previous owner as a Benson. I then Bought it as a Benson.

At any rate, years ago, I wanted Rich to refinish it but never got around to sending it off. I guess I'll never get the chance now, but I'm considering parting with it.

Again, just wondering if anyone can confirm one way or the other. I don't want to falsely advertise something if I do decide to sell it. What's not in question is that it's a custom cue. It has flaws, so somebody has hand crafted it. Pretty nice and it's held up well. Thanks guys, really appreciate the time.

Attachments

• cue_2.jpg
    cue_2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,094
  • cue_5.jpg
    cue_5.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,134
  • cue_4.jpg
    cue_4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,020
  • cue_6.jpg
    cue_6.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • cue_8.jpg
    cue_8.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,030

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
From what I can tell, by the rings and pin, I would say 99% chance. I'm trying to track Rich down, and get him to verify, he's about 60 miles from me. Here is one I found online. Some features are close, he changed things around a lot too.
http://www.tampabilliards.com/bensoncues.html

Last edited:

HCCaver

Registered
From what I can tell, by the rings and pin, I would say 99% chance. I'm trying to track Rich down, and get him to verify, he's about 60 miles from me. Here is one I found online. Some features are close, he changed things around a lot too.

Hey, thanks a lot for the prompt response. I took a look at what you posted and things do seem similar.

I wish I could remember the "story" of the cue's origin - There was a key detail that I've forgotten. Oh well, it's pure speculation now, but it's unstamped / signed. At the time, there was no reason for the seller to be dishonest - Unless it was a Balabushka, I wouldnt have known the name lol.

I've got a 2nd Edition Blue Book, but none of Benson's cues are posted - only prices. Hopefully someone will see this post and know for sure one way or the other. As I was saying, I don't want to falsely advertise a cue if I end up parting with it.

Thanks a million for the help.

HCCaver

Registered
Nice cue sir ...

Hey, thanks a lot !

When I began playing "seriously", this was the first custom cue I picked up. Funny thing is, I was scared of playing with it for the longest time :) It's not "that" nice, but to me, as a 21 year old broke kid, ahh it was so sweet.

I always shot with a couple of Mali's before buying this one. I then sold my two cheaper Mali's and bought a semi-nice Mali. Ahhhh! All of this cue talk is reminding me of days long gone!

Out of high school, my friend had parents with a table. We'd sometimes stay up playing a hundred games a night on the weekends. When I began working, I'd stop by a local pub and play by myself until close (worked nights at the time). After not having played in 6 or 7 years, I bet my playing is embarrassingly bad right now... Man I wish I had room for a table. Someday.

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Just dug out an old Benson brochure I had from years ago.
Going to try and scan it and post it here for you.

None of the cues really resemble yours, and all have that shorty stainless joint he was known for.

Not saying it still couldn't be one of his, as I'm not really familiar with his work.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks unlike an(y) Benson I've ever seen. If it definitely came out of WA state, then it might be an old Paul Allers, possibly a Dale Teague even....think he lived there quite a long time ago. Cue looks like it may have been made in the 1980s to me.

Last edited:

HCCaver

Registered
Just dug out an old Benson brochure I had from years ago.
Going to try and scan it and post it here for you.

None of the cues really resemble yours, and all have that shorty stainless joint he was known for.

Not saying it still couldn't be one of his, as I'm not really familiar with his work.

Awesome man! Thanks a bunch!

I took some more pics of the joint, screw, and collar to assist the quest. I think once we find out for sure, the rings will be the giveaway. Somebody will recognize the rings and know for sure. Thanks again!

Attachments

• pool_1.jpg
    pool_1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 804
  • pool_2.jpg
    pool_2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 841
  • pool_4.jpg
    pool_4.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 880
  • pool_5.jpg
    pool_5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 747
  • pool_6.jpg
    pool_6.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 753

HCCaver

Registered
Here you go.

Awesome ! Thank you very much once again.

Any idea what year that was published in? This cue was bought in '99 or 2000. It was used then, so I'm guessing it would have been at least 5 years old when I bought it. If I had to guess, I would say it's circa 1990 or earlier.

Here's another picture of the rings
5dgT9YV.jpg

Last edited:

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
It looks unlike an Benson I've ever seen. If it definitely came out of WA state, then it might be an old Paul Allers, possibly a Dale Teague even....think he lived there quite a long time ago. Cue looks like it may have been made in the 1980s to me.

Not one of Paul's...he didn't start making cues until close to the mid-00's. No clue as to Teague...heard of him and his cues, but never seen one.

Doesn't look like any Benson I have seen either, but perhaps it's a really early one?...although he made cues for a long long time. It does appear to have a 1/2 joint tho.

HCCaver

Registered
It looks unlike an Benson I've ever seen. If it definitely came out of WA state, then it might be an old Paul Allers, possibly a Dale Teague even....think he lived there quite a long time ago. Cue looks like it may have been made in the 1980s to me.

Hey, sorry to post back to back, but I wanted to respond to this post -

Yes, it 100% for sure came out of Washington state - At least the from the person I purchased it from. My memory is rusty, but I'm certain he said he bought it from a billiard owner who said it was a Benson.

This is getting interesting! If it's not a R. Benson, who made the cue? Kind of exciting! As I was saying, I'm sure someone is going to eventually recognize the rings. Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
No problem, I have been down the cue ID road a few times myself.

The Benson brochure is from 89-91 era. Lost the envelope it came in, but I'm certain it was from that year range.

Good luck with your search!

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
Dale mostly assembled his cues as opposed to making any, no lathe work in other words, so that rules him out.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just not seeing any Benson in this cue at all. So many people have made cues since the mid 80s we may never know who they all were

HCCaver

Registered
I'm just not seeing any Benson in this cue at all. So many people have made cues since the mid 80s we may never know who they all were

Very true.

There must be someone out there with something similar. I'm the furthest thing from an expert on pool cues, so maybe with a little luck, somebody will recognize this work. I've got a 2nd edition "Blue Book", but flipping through it has revealed nothing.

Besides using google, I've never seen a Benson cue other than this thread. After seeing the brochure, I'm not sold on the idea now either - before it never really mattered who made the cue. If I sell it, it would be nice to know who made it - Now, we may never know - oh well.

Another detail worth mentioning - There are 3 points - 2 of them the same size, one smaller.