05 - Skid
06 - Chalk Cloud from the break
07 - Breaks - 9 ball - Wing Ball in the corner
08 - Breaks - 9 ball - 1 Ball in the side
09 - Breaks - 9 ball - Bad Hop Control
10 - Frozen Shape shot
11 - Diamond Pro Ball Polisher

------------------------

This is a slow motion video I put together based on requests from my new friends on AZB. I plan on making as many as I can, if there is sufficient interest (see below).

------------------------

Thanks for participating in the first video:
ENGLISH!
LAMas
iusedtoberich
bdorman
CreeDo
MonsterMash (Check out V01 C06 S01!)
Maniac
Kickin' Chicken (I'm still trying to get that 7-10 split)
Tramp Steamer (for comedic support)

------------------------

I put a little display in the bottom right corner of the video that marks the Video number, Chapter number, and Shot number, so if you'd like to comment on a certain shot, feel free to use these numbers so others can see which shot you're talking about.

------------------------

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask on this thread. I truly enjoyed making the video, and I am willing to answer any (reasonable) questions related to shotmaking, production, or techniques used in filming these clips.

------------------------

If you have a shot request for the next AUSM video, please feel free to make your request in this thread. I am more than willing to record any shots that I am capable of (and I'll certainly try any that I'm not yet capable of!). If you're curious about a shot, chances are, there are others who want to see it, too. Just let me know.

------------------------

Thanks again for the warm welcome to the forums. Let me know if I can help in any way. If you're traveling through Austin, TX you're welcome to contact me to arrange a slow motion filming session, no charge.

------------------------

-Blake

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Blake;

Hard to call you a newbie since you've been lurking here since when, like 1974? :cool:, but lets say for a new poster, you've brought more to the table than anyone I can remember, coming out of the gate. This is obviously a lot of work to put these together so thank you for doing it. :thumbup:

I agree that the skid shot was both interesting and enlightening as we see it gearing and losing contact with the cloth. I also am sure *some* skidding occurs more frequently on dirty (chalky) cloth so I wonder about there also being a 'sliding' component involved sometime, as well. Alternately, could chalky cloth create friction causing the ob to become airborne upon contact, similar to what we see in your skid video?

When I suggested filming a 7-10 split, I was 7/10ths joking with you and am surprised to see you are actually considering doing it.

Meanwhile, keep doing these as long as you are enjoying it as I am sure we all will be, too.

I definitely like the both-balls-frozen-on-the-rail shot pablocruz has suggested.

These are AUSM, indeed.

Green rep for your efforts, sir!

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again.
Back to the 30 degree CTE shot that because of CIT falls short of 30 Degrees.

Can you show what happens to the OB when one applies top, draw and of course outside english to send the OB closer to 30 degree cut angle?

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the post, very informative video (especialy the "slide" and the "squirt"), i am curious about what shaft you were using as i was awestruck as to the amount of vibration of the shaft. was it an "Ld" shaft"?

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice and useful video.

For skid, i think it was better if you drawn a straight line from OB to center of the pocket, in that case it will be easy to understand how much OB skid.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Fantastic video. I think it's exactly the kind of thing PJ would like too.

I loved the skid video. On V01 C05 S03, it actually looks like the cue ball is actually overcutting a lot, and the OB will go to the thin side of the pocket, then you see it turn over and drift to undercut by like half a ball.

I also liked the deflection video, with the overlay showing the path the ball is supposed to take. What shaft is that? A slow mo illustration showing the difference in deflection between, say, a Z2 and a any standard shaft would be interesting. That's my vote for the next video.

For the wing ball video, is it possible to somehow hang the camera directly over the rack and very close to it? What I was hoping for is to see video illustration of the ideas in Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets... the ball below the wing ball gets moving a millesecond before the wing ball itself. Then the wing ball kissing off of it.

From there you could also show how various gaps in the rack affect this carom, causing it to miss, or causing it to go in when breaking from a place it's not supposed to go in (i.e. the box).

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I'm sure it was a lot of work, particularly the editing. And thanks for including the round-the-clock sequence.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Awesome videos! How about a close up of the shaft and how it reacts on extreme english, draw and follow. Maybe different shafts if possible. First in real time and then in super slow motion. Thank you.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Mr. Blake,

That video will be very enlghtening to many on AZB. You can be a most valuable asset for this site. I for one am very glad that you have decided to participate. Thanks for undertaking the project. You must also be a very accomplished player as I know all of those were executed perfectly in just one take. Thanks again.

Im sure PJ would have said "see I told you" on some & would have taken some exception on one or two as well.

As for the request I made for Mr. Long & myself, when you get time, if you would be so kind, could you do a more of a full table very soft very slow roll with either a 1:00 or 11:00 'hit' on the cue ball with a parallel to line shaft.

Thanks in advance for the undertaking.

Regards to You &

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again.
How about laying the tape from corner to the opposite corner and shoot the OB 1 or 2 diamonds apart with side English to show the squirt and then the english taking hold and veering the OB back to the original tape line.
:smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
thanks for the post, very informative video (especialy the "slide" and the "squirt"), i am curious about what shaft you were using as i was awestruck as to the amount of vibration of the shaft. was it an "Ld" shaft"?

For me, the magic of a great cue is that it must GIVE when it strikes the
cue-ball, otherwise the cue-ball gives, thereby going far off course.
But a great cue whips QUICK....so you have that magic combination of
tolerance AND power.
The great cue makers make cues that give but keep snapping back to straight.

SloMo....you got me for life...I hope you keep this all in one thread.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome to posting on AzB! I enjoyed AUSM Video 1 and appreciate the time and effort you spent on it. I imagine your slow-motion capability will be useful many times in future discussions.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was really cool and informative. Thanks for doing this.

I would like to see the deflection shot with different types of shafts (i,e., low deflection vs standard maple). Also could you show that deflection shot first in real time, then in slow mo? That would help give a sense of how hard you are hitting the shot.

The Diamond ball polisher videos make me nauseated. Please, no more!

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I have a suggestion on the skid shot. The stripe on the 12 ball was horizontal. Put it vertical like rolling a tire into the pocket. That way you can see the cue ball pull the object ball offline better. With the stripe horizontal you can't see the initial twist that happens to the object ball.

Also, with a touch of outside you can see the stripe roll true into the pocket like a tire. Then shoot it with high and low inside and see how the object ball gets pulled around.

Good clarity on the video. I look forward to many more. What are you using for equipment?

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Thanks, everyone, for checking out the video, and for your kind words (and greenies!). I'm glad you liked it! I truly enjoyed sharing this with you.

I'm just going to reply to all the posts in this one mega-response.

Current list of requests for AUSM Video 2
(including requests that didn't make it into AUSM Video 1):

Some real-time shots for reference
Breaks: 9 on the spot (head and wing balls)
Breaks: 10-ball (2nd ball)
Breaks: 8-ball (8 kicked in the side)
Full-table squirt/swerve (1:00 and 11:00)
Balls frozen along rail (outside English)
30* cut (with various English)
Deflection comparisons
Joe Tucker racking secrets (<--Awesome DVD)

Questions about AUSM1:

Shafts: I used a plain house cue for the squirt shots. I did record some squirt shots with my Predator Z2, but discovered later that I had "cheated" by compensating for the (small amount of) deflection. I'll reshoot these shots.

My break cue is a generic solid maple, non-LD shaft with a phenolic ferrule/tip combo.

All other shots were shot with the Z2.

I have Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets DVD and pretty much agree with everything he teaches. I don't make the wing every time, but if I actually read the rack (and if the rack is "on"), I can make it >60% of the time. Maybe more.

I use a Casio EX-FH25. It's discontinued but there are several available for sale. They're much more expensive now ($1400) than when I bought mine ($400), but they're the best sub-$25,000 slow motion camera out there, IMO. Also a great all-around camera, even without the slow motion. I used 4 different tripods, 3 tripod heads, and various other mounting equipment.
High speed cameras needs a LOT of light. I use 2600 Watts of Halogen lights to keep the quality up. Just about every clip in the video is shot with the lamps shining right in my face. But it's worth it!

I hope PJ gets to see the video(s). I look forward to working with him to figure out more "pool stuff." I originally bought the camera specifically for shooting pool. I just HAD to know what was happening on the table., especially after reading some of his physics descriptions.

My interpretations about what's happening in the shots:

Skid (Chapter 5):
I believe that dirty and/or slow cloth makes skid more likely. Would you agree that it's easier to jump on a slower table? I think the increased friction causes the base of the CB to resist sliding or rotating, and therefore makes it more likely to build up energy and release it more suddenly, causing the jump. Same for skid. However, the energy that builds up for skid comes from the gearing and also because the part of the CB that contacts the OB is actually moving toward the table surface, shoving the OB into the cloth. That's why I don't think we'll see near as much skid when using side or draw. I'm looking forward to exploring this further in the next video.

Oddly, it seems to me that if the surface of the CB is moving very fast relative to the OB, skid can actually be reduced. This is similar to the "bell curve" model of CIT. Very soft or very hard shots tend to produce less CIT (I think). In other words, a softer shot gives the two balls more "time" to hook up, but it seems like lots of inside spin (or a harder hit) will cause the two surfaces to just slide right off each other. A VERY soft shot probably doesn't have enough energy to cause the ball to hop. I'm not sure about that, but it sure seems that way.

I will definitely use the recommendations and provide better visual references when shooting the skid shots.

Shaft vibrations / LD / "Whippiness":
I totally agree. If I hit the CB with side spin, the CB and the shaft will split the offset. Squirt and deflection added together will equal the amount of off-center energy introduced into the shot. If the shaft "gives" more, the CB will not have to squirt as much.

I also LOVE the good vibrations when I hit a nice firm spin shot with the Z2. It resonates for several seconds after the shot. If I'm not shooting well, I will sometimes hold the shaft up to my ear and thump it so I can HEAR that vibration, which gives me a target. My goal for getting back in stroke is then to generate that sound. It reminds me of the loose grip, accelerating cue, and light touch needed in order to strike the ball well.

Thanks again. I look forward to hearing your responses and future requests!

-Blake