Dominant Eye
Old
  (#1)
Adam Brown
AzB Silver Member
Adam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Dominant Eye - 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Good Morning,

I was reading a post by hang-the-9 this morning and he made me think of something I had been wondering about. I write with my right hand and other things throughout the day right handed. I shoot pool left handed because I am left eye dominant. I also shoot a gun and bow left handed. It just feels more natural that way. If I try to shoot pool,gun,or a bow with my right hand I find myself naturally trying to aim through my left eye. Those of you that have tried that know how awkward and hard it is to do.

I was wondering if any of you are in the same boat as me or am I just abnormal. I have an identical twin brother and he plays right handed and my dad also plays pool left handed and is right handed.

Thanks, Adam

Old
  (#2)
CreeDo
Captain Fishtastic
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
03-05-2013, 08:20 AM

There are a few pool players who are, I forget the term, opposite eye dominant maybe?

In pool their adjustment is to sort of tilt the head until that opposite eye is now over the cue. You see a few players with a very defined head tilt.

However if you already have spent some time with your left hand then you might as well stick with it. I think someone said Mike Sigel is a righty naturally, but taught himself pool left handed. Worked out pretty well for him.

Old
  (#3)
PC_John
AzB Silver Member
PC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond reputePC_John has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

03-05-2013, 08:32 AM

Yep, Lots of folks that way. I shoot pool, rifle left handed. Write, shoot pistol right handed.

My oldest son, writes, plays guitar, shoots, etc. left and right handed.

You are not alone.

Old
  (#4)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 08:35 AM

I'm right-eyed and right-handed.
I wish I was left-eyed....players that are opposite-eye dominant look more
comfortable over the cue(to me), even more than 20/20 players.

At one time there were 3 players who were cross-dominant...
...Willie Mosconi, Joe Davis, and George Chenier...if you compare them to
Earl Strickland and Neils Fejien...they look a lot better.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

Old
  (#5)
stljohnny
knowledge > execution. :(
stljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

03-05-2013, 10:23 AM

I thought I heard on a stream just the other week that Shawn Putnam was right-handed in life, but he plays left-handed.

Player: Custom Treadway!!!
Breaker: BK2 + OBBreak + Samsara
Haunts: Cue & Cushion | The Break | The Cue

Latest Blog Entry: Bitter Sweetness of Loss

Twitter: StlJohnnyPool
Pool student since August 2009.

Old
  (#6)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 10:36 AM

I am opposite eye dominant. I shoot both pool, and guns, right handed with the left eye doing most of the work. An injury as a youngster was the cause of this condition. It has caused no problems.
Coincidentally, I knew a girl in Panama who was right eye dominant because her left eye was glass. She used to tell me that whenever I came to town she'd keep an eye out for me.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

Tramplock: Member in good standing in the Lock Society.

Old
  (#7)
decent dennis
AzB Gold Member
decent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-05-2013, 10:40 AM

You are abnormal

The "master eye" is an issue if you are getting down on the cue ball unnaturally
Old
  (#8)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD CHAMPION
CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas - Book Private Lessons thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Arrow The "master eye" is an issue if you are getting down on the cue ball unnaturally - 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Brown View Post
Good Morning,

I was reading a post by hang-the-9 this morning and he made me think of something I had been wondering about. I write with my right hand and other things throughout the day right handed. I shoot pool left handed because I am left eye dominant. I also shoot a gun and bow left handed. It just feels more natural that way. If I try to shoot pool,gun,or a bow with my right hand I find myself naturally trying to aim through my left eye. Those of you that have tried that know how awkward and hard it is to do.

I was wondering if any of you are in the same boat as me or am I just abnormal. I have an identical twin brother and he plays right handed and my dad also plays pool left handed and is right handed.

Thanks, Adam
I'm right eye dominant, but started out playing golf and batting in baseball left handed. The "master eye" is an issue if you are getting down on the cue ball with your body out of alignment, however, if you open your stance and put your left foot (right handed players) parallel to the "line of the shot" it will enable you to face the shot more naturally.

I had to make this adjustment after my first tournament in Toronto - glad I did because I have no neck or back aches and pains like many players do that twist or align their head/neck/chin to the line of the shot without aligning the rest of the body. I like the feeling of "shooting the cue ball out of my chest" so I get that full, square, and aligned shooting position.

ENHANCE - YOUR - GAME - With Hemp Vapor - click here Free Video&Instuctional Articles - www.cjwiley.com - Call CJ Directly - Reserve Private Training - Lessons - Coaching (817) 479-3794

Old
  (#9)
Pete
AzB Silver Member
Pete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Wiley View Post
I'm right eye dominant, but started out playing golf and batting in baseball left handed. The "master eye" is an issue if you are getting down on the cue ball with your body out of alignment, however, if you open your stance and put your left foot (right handed players) parallel to the "line of the shot" it will enable you to face the shot more naturally.

I had to make this adjustment after my first tournament in Toronto - glad I did because I have no neck or back aches and pains like many players do that twist or align their head/neck/chin to the line of the shot without aligning the rest of the body. I like the feeling of "shooting the cue ball out of my chest" so I get that full, square, and aligned shooting position.

CJ,

Can you post a picture of this. becuase I am in the middle of reworking my stance and this sounds similar to what I am doing (like a snooker stance moreso than a pool stance)???

Pete

Old
  (#10)
Adam Brown
AzB Silver Member
Adam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Brown has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Wiley View Post

When I get down on the ball I extend my right foot and plant my left foot behind me just a little. I shoot left handed though so I guess it is opposite of your stance. I am a bigger guy so it is hard for me to get down as far as you but I guess I have been doing it so long it just feels more comfortable than what I "need" to be doing. Thanks for the input CJ

Old
  (#11)
vapoolplayer
AzB Silver Member
vapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Last edited by vapoolplayer; 04-22-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Old
  (#12)
leehayes
AzB Silver Member
leehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 12:49 PM

ok...now for the question...is it better to have the cue centered over your dominant eye or between both?

"An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind" Ghandi

My pool stuff.
Current player...Lambros merry widow.

TNT purpleheart and ebony with OB classic pro shaft
Bud Diehl custom w/Dominiak D2 shaft.
Hightower break cue, predator air jump. Jay Flowers case with a Pappy Russek stand. And a Giovanni hand made cue extender.

Old
  (#13)
vapoolplayer
AzB Silver Member
vapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Last edited by vapoolplayer; 04-22-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Old
  (#14)
Adam Brown
AzB Silver Member

03-05-2013, 03:13 PM

I'm not sure if I center the cue between my eyes or not but I do see a lot of people aim while the cue is centered ON their chin. I don't get down quite that far but I guess it would be better on my aiming if I did. I know that I use my left eye but I don't know if I center the cue under my eye or not. I have never really paid that much attention to detail. I just get down on the ball and do what feels natural. It is hard to unlearn bad habits especially if you have been doing them for a while.

Thanks, Adam

Old
  (#15)
LuckyStroke
Good clean livin'
LuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-05-2013, 03:38 PM

You guys are over thinking this a bit much. I shoot rightie and am left eye dominant. The trick is aim with your non dominant eye

Star City Sneaky bacote into BEM w/ivory by Al Link
Jim Baxter 60" Dufferin conversion
Summit bacote and purple heart j/b
JB rugged 1x2, JB rugged 2x3

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: