Break Stats -- TAR 34 Day 1, Van Boening vs. Reyes 8-Ball, April, 2013

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the results from Day 1 (8-Ball) of TAR 34 -- Shane Van Boening vs. Efren Reyes. Shane won 27-23.

The conditions for this call-shot 8-ball match included the following: 9-foot Diamond Smart Table with approximately 4 1/2" corner pockets, Simonis 860 cloth that is not new, Delta 13 rack, winner breaks, breaker racks for himself, table open after the break, breaker has choice of spotting the 8-ball or re-breaking if he makes the 8-ball on the break (did not happen), ball in hand anywhere after a foul on the break, and a 40-second shot clock with 1 extension allowed per rack (80 seconds before suits are established).

Shane broke 27 times, with the following results:
Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and won the game -- 14 (52%)​
Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and lost the game -- 5 (19%)​
Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 0​
Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 8 (30%)​

Efren broke 23 times, with the following results:
Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and won the game -- 7 (30%)​
Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and lost the game -- 3 (13%)​
Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 3 (13%)​
Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 10 (43%)​

For the two players combined, a ball was made on the break (without fouling) 29 of the 50 games (58%), the breaker won 24 of the 50 games (48%), and the breaker won 21 of the 29 games in which he made a ball on the break (72%).

Break-and-run games:
Shane -- 14 of 27 (52%)​
Efren -- 7 of 23 (30%)​
Total -- 21 of 50 (42%)​
Shane's 14 B&R games consisted of 1 5-pack, 2 2-packs, and 5 singles.​
Efren's 7 B&R games consisted of 1 3-pack and 4 singles.​

Last edited:

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I caught the match at 8-8 and could see right away efren wasn't breaking good. That said I watched the loop and he started out great, up 7-4 and Breaking good making balls. I'm not sure what changed. It was clear at the end of match he decided to semi-soft break hoping the balls would conglomerate up. Obviously he thinks he plays better after the break. From what I saw I'd say he is right.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
nice stats

Here are the results from Day 1 (8-Ball) of TAR 34 -- Shane Van Boening vs. Eften Reyes. Shane won 27-23.

The conditions for this call-shot 8-ball match included the following: Diamond Smart Table with approximately 4 1/2" corner pockets, Simonis 860 cloth that is not new, Delta 13 rack, winner breaks, breaker racks for himself, table open after the break, breaker has choice of spotting the 8-ball or re-breaking if he makes the 8-ball on the break (did not happen), ball in hand anywhere after a foul on the break, and a 40-second shot clock with 1 extension allowed per rack (80 seconds before suits are established).

• Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and won the game -- 14 (52%)
  • Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and lost the game -- 5 (19%)
  • Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 0
  • Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 8 (30%)

• Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and won the game -- 7 (30%)
  • Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and lost the game -- 3 (13%)
  • Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 3 (13%)
  • Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 10 (43%)

For the two players combined, a ball was made on the break (without fouling) 29 of the 50 games (58%), the breaker won 24 of the 50 games (48%), and the breaker won 21 of the 29 games in which he made a ball on the break (72%).

Break-and-run games:
  • Shane -- 14 of 27 (52%)
  • Efren -- 7 of 23 (30%)
  • Total -- 21 of 50 (42%)

Shane's 14 B&R games consisted of 1 5-pack, 2 2-packs, and 5 singles. Efren's 7 B&R games consisted of 1 3-pack and 4 singles.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I caught the match at 8-8 and could see right away efren wasn't breaking good. That said I watched the loop and he started out great, up 7-4 and Breaking good making balls. I'm not sure what changed. It was clear at the end of match he decided to semi-soft break hoping the balls would conglomerate up. Obviously he thinks he plays better after the break. From what I saw I'd say he is right.

It was kind of strange to me, too. Efren had 4 B&R's in his first 6 breaks, breaking with good power from near the center. Then he had several dry breaks in a row and changed his position (I didn't note exactly when he moved to the side for the first time). From near the side rail he tried both hitting the head ball and hitting the second ball, but didn't do very well either way.

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 0
  • Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 8 (30%)

• Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 3 (13%)
  • Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 10 (43%)

Thanks for the stats. I found the above most interesting ... Efren made the most of the table's layout when the breaking wasn't working for him. This tell me that he might have won if he had Busty break for him.

Edit: Never mind, I misinterpreted the break dry/fouled and lost the game. That was the flip side of what I thought above. Still, Efren hung with him some of the time so trying to see where that's showing in the statistics.

Last edited: