Woody Woodworth Titlist Conversion Upgrade

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I think it's upgraded anyway.

It had a solid ivory joint, capped ivory ferrules and the shafts were close to 13.25mm. I did a trade that included me sending the customer this cue, but I packed it like crap and the ivory joint cracked - my bad. We agreed on a different cue for the trade and I got this one back.

The cue is a titlist conversion from a Bolivian rosewood old titlist from what I am told. I always liked the cue but I cannot play with ivory ferrules and those thick shafts. So when I had it returned, I decided to take it to Ernie Martinez to make it playable for my taste, plus return it to "old school" look. Instead of the solid ivory joint I asked him to make a flat-faced joint w/a brass sleeve to return the look to it's roots, but modernize the play. I also had him remove the ivory ferrules, install new tenons, put new ivorine 3 ferrules on each shaft and cut the shafts down to about 12 3/4mm. Here are the results, what do you think?

Original Cue:

Updated Version by Ernie Martinez:

Dave

Last edited:

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I dont care for ivory and dont want ivory in any of my cues, so this is a nice upgrade to me, Dave. I just think a white non-metal joint will look better, I am not a fan of metal joint also, it is flashy lol.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I dont care for ivory and dont want ivory in any of my cues, so this is a nice upgrade to me, Dave. I just think a white non-metal joint will look better, I am not a fan of metal joint also, it is flashy lol.

I know what you mean, but when it's together it looks like an older willie hoppe or Paradise cue, which is what I was hoping for. I just think that a brass joint plays too soft so using it as a decoration rather than the whole joint would allow the cue to play well but still look "old school".

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

Dave

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL

I am the original owner of the cue. I got the titlist and after having a discussion with Woody, I had him build the cue.

I prefer the cue with the ivory....:rolleyes:, and find it amazing that anyone would change out ivory ferrelles. :frown:

I am glad you are happy with the cue. If you have any questions about the cue let me know.

Best of rolls,

Ken

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
LOL

I am the original owner of the cue. I got the titlist and after having a discussion with Woody, I had him build the cue.

I prefer the cue with the ivory....:rolleyes:, and find it amazing that anyone would change out ivory ferrelles. :frown:

I am glad you are happy with the cue. If you have any questions about the cue let me know.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Thanks for your post and comments. I do have one question, is the wrap cortland?

Rep to you for your design and finding such a cool titlist blank. And, I can't believe anyone would prefer ivory ferrules? :)

Thanks,
Dave

POOLGODBEWITHME

Tom "B" player
Silver Member
very nice

I like it. I think I like it better with the ivory, but I think all titlist conversions are cool. still, nice "old school look"

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your post and comments. I do have one question, is the wrap cortland?

Rep to you for your design and finding such a cool titlist blank. And, I can't believe anyone would prefer ivory ferrules? :)

Thanks,
Dave

Not Cortland. It is a linen.

Cortland is often mentioned by folks who think all linen wraps are Cortland. Cortland is no longer made and it is very rare on current cues. Some Cortland is out there but it usually saved for vintage cues. Barry just rewrapped my Gus cue with original Cortland linen from his dads stock.

If you want to try a different hit, try playing with Micarta ferrules...:thumbup:

Ken

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not Cortland. It is a linen.

Cortland is often mentioned by folks who think all linen wraps are Cortland. Cortland is no longer made and it is very rare on current cues. Some Cortland is out there but it usually saved for vintage cues. Barry just rewrapped my Gus cue with original Cortland linen from his dads stock.

If you want to try a different hit, try playing with Micarta ferrules...:thumbup:

Ken

do you like Cortland feel, is it much different?

thinking about putting one on one of my cues and not sure if its worth it