Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page ESPN World Billiard Championships starring Earl, Jeanette, Vivian, a "Has Been"
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
ESPN World Billiard Championships starring Earl, Jeanette, Vivian, and a "Has Been"
Old
  (#1)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD CHAMPION
CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas - Book Private Lessons thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Talking ESPN World Billiard Championships starring Earl, Jeanette, Vivian, and a "Has Been" - 05-19-2013, 05:35 PM

I just saw this link sent to me on Face Book, check it out and see the ESPN World Open Championships.....it was for a total prize of over $300,000 and was seen by over 10,000,000 people WORLDWIDE.

CLICK HERE -ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS

TOI PACKAGES ON SALE This Week - www.cjwiley.com - Email - Private Instruction/Training/Coaching Availablility and/or Pool Related Questions - thegameistheteacher@gmail.com - Texas Headquarters (817) 479 3794

Last edited by CJ Wiley; 05-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old
  (#2)
or1pkt
AzB Silver Member
or1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond reputeor1pkt has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2013, 05:49 PM

The wildest part of the video is earl actually applauding good shots and seeming happy go lucky and cordial... Good video thanks for sharing

Old
  (#3)
9ball
AzB Silver Member
9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute9ball has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2013, 05:54 PM

That kid shoots ok ! I think I seen him before !!! ...LOl Jk , CJ you were a monster back then, I think you had Earls number in those days! You still got it Kid!

Have you played pool with your kid today!

Son, "I taught you everything you know, but not everything I know"

Old
  (#4)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Wiley View Post
I just saw this link sent to me on Face Book, check it out and see the ESPN World Open Championships.....it was for a total prize of over $300,000 and was seen by over 10,000,000 people WORLDWIDE.

I think that CJ guy was hitting em pretty strong.

I watched all that I could find but couldn't find the final games.

Ken

Current cues - Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Southwest (Ebony nosed, JF Era), Pfd, Palmer Model 16, Josswest Ivory joint, BHQ Butterfly and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini.

Watchez is the teacher

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#5)
westcoast
AzB Silver Member
westcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2013, 07:52 PM

When was this? Mid-to-late-1990s or so?

ESPN was averaging over a Million Viewers per show in those days
Old
  (#6)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD CHAMPION
CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas - Book Private Lessons thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Arrow ESPN was averaging over a Million Viewers per show in those days - 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
When was this? Mid-to-late-1990s or so?
This was 1996 in Santa Rosa California. ESPN was putting on this tournament and filming ALL the matches and giving over $300k in prize money to 16 Men and 16 Women, so everyone made money.

The Added Bonus was the Winner of the Women's Tournament played the Winner of the Men's Tournament for $100,000! 60k for 1st and 40k for runner up ....this was billed as Pocket Billiards 'Battle of the Sexes' and ended up with 3.8 Million viewers (I was told by ESPN later in the year).

This tournament moved to Disney World in Orlando Florida the next year to the ESPN CLUB. Everything was the same except they didn't do the Battle of the Sexes again....with the ratings you would thing they would have done it again, however, ESPN wasn't the one that made the decision from what I understand.

ESPN was averaging over a Million Viewers per show in those days, I retired a few years later and '99' was the last year I played. They used "Elephant Balls" that year without informing us and I decided to take a sabbatical that ended up being 8 years (for many reasons).

TOI PACKAGES ON SALE This Week - www.cjwiley.com - Email - Private Instruction/Training/Coaching Availablility and/or Pool Related Questions - thegameistheteacher@gmail.com - Texas Headquarters (817) 479 3794

Old
  (#7)
instroke75
AzB Silver Member
instroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2013, 09:46 PM

but CJ why are you playing Jeff Foxworthy? Tell me he doesn't look like him?

Old
  (#8)
instroke75
AzB Silver Member
instroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke75 has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2013, 10:12 PM

nice to see someone play wide open and shoot the balls in! great victory for you CJ, and the best part is that some really hot chick keeps coming up kissing you after each match.lol

. Every time he made a tough shot he said "Get -R- Done!!!"
Old
  (#9)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD CHAMPION

Talking . Every time he made a tough shot he said "Get -R- Done!!!" - 05-20-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instroke75 View Post
but CJ why are you playing Jeff Foxworthy? Tell me he doesn't look like him?
You may have a point, never thought about that comparison. Earl does have a great, dry, sense of humor, people just don't "real eyes" he's being facetious at times.

I played a guy one time in Tennessee that looked just like "Larry the Cable Guy". Every time he made a tough shot he chirped "Get -R- Done!!!"

Old
  (#10)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

05-20-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
This was 1996 in Santa Rosa California. ESPN was putting on this tournament and filming ALL the matches and giving over $300k in prize money to 16 Men and 16 Women, so everyone made money.

The Added Bonus was the Winner of the Women's Tournament played the Winner of the Men's Tournament for $100,000! 60k for 1st and 40k for runner up ....this was billed as Pocket Billiards 'Battle of the Sexes' and ended up with 3.8 Million viewers (I was told by ESPN later in the year).

This tournament moved to Disney World in Orlando Florida the next year to the ESPN CLUB. Everything was the same except they didn't do the Battle of the Sexes again....with the ratings you would thing they would have done it again, however, ESPN wasn't the one that made the decision from what I understand.

ESPN was averaging over a Million Viewers per show in those days, I retired a few years later and '99' was the last year I played. They used "Elephant Balls" that year without informing us and I decided to take a sabbatical that ended up being 8 years (for many reasons).
I remember that event in Orlando well. That was right around the time I started getting into pool and it seemed like there was pool on tv every week with different players. It was awesome except for when 2 tables were going at once and it was a little hard to follow. I even remember one year the finals were live on ESPN. That's the only time I remember pool being broadcast over the air live since I started playing.

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Old
  (#11)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2013, 06:20 AM

Man, your game was smok'in hot.

I watched all of the matches.

Where is the ending of the final match??????

Thanks for sharing.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten.

Old
  (#12)
eezbank
Silver Surfer
eezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond reputeeezbank has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2835
  Send a message via AIM to eezbank Send a message via Yahoo to eezbank  
05-20-2013, 06:50 AM

CJ Wiley- Just another day at the office.

Angela Wiley- Sitting on the edge of her seat a nervous wreck.
Attached Images

Old
  (#13)
sjm
The Youngest Old Schooler
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

05-20-2013, 09:01 AM

The term "has been" always brings two players to mind.

1. One of our favoritie posters, Tom Ferry, went by the name "Old Has Been" here on AZB.

2. Larry Lisciotti, one of the legends of pool, was once asked late in his career what it was like being a has been. Misquoting the standard comedic reply, Larry answered "I'd rather be a has been than a never was been."

Both Tom and Larry are no longer with us, but thinking about them always puts a smile on my face.

Old
  (#14)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2013, 09:12 AM

Thanks for posting this C.J. I watched all 8 episodes. It sure does make one wonder why pool can't once again rise to this level. Loved the battle of the sexes hype...

Old
  (#15)
Lock N Load
AzB Silver Member
Lock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-20-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Mr. CJ,
That was a great display of pool skills! I enjoyed watching it. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: