Reload this Page Need advice on a new cue
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Need advice on a new cue
Old
  (#1)
zpele
AzB Silver Member
zpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Need advice on a new cue - 08-14-2013, 09:05 AM

So I recently started a new job and I am starting the process of looking for a new cue. I have a budget of 2k (or lower is better) so my options are pretty wide open.

Right now I shoot with a McDermott and there is nothing wrong with it but since it is really the only cue I have ever shot with I am looking to branch out into either a high end Predator (P3 or Panthera) or a custom.

The looks matter to me but no where near as much as the playability of the cue.

I also am not looking for a traditionally designed cue and would like something different from the normal points and windows type thing.

Are there any custom makers out there that design cues with different designs from the norm?

As a point of reference I would also play with the ugliest cue in the world if it hit and played the best in the world.

So looks aren't anywhere near the top on my list of priorities.

Old
  (#2)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Bear in mind this is only my opinion, and opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one, but I would recommend a Schon STL-5, or higher, with a Schon/Predator shaft.
You couldn't possibly go wrong.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

Tramplock: Member in good standing in the Lock Society.

Old
  (#3)
fastone371
AzB Gold Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-14-2013, 09:20 AM

I will second Tramp Steamers answer, I would also go with a Schon, I think they are one of the best hitting production cues available. But that is only an opinion and............................................... ....

Old
  (#4)
GoldCrown
write-on
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpele View Post
As a point of reference I would also play with the ugliest cue in the world if it hit and played the best in the world.

You do not have to spend a ton of money on a good cue. Can't go wrong with a Predator, Schon or Pechauer.
The cue that you like is The Best. The cue that you play well with is The Best. I have a bunch of cues and enjoy playing with most of them. Some are wall art. Some are wall queens. I feel that playing with the same cue all of them time delivers consistency.

I need more Cue likes a snail needs air brakes
Another student of Scott Lee's SPF

Last edited by GoldCrown; 08-14-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Old
  (#5)
LSU1018
AzB Silver Member
LSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond reputeLSU1018 has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2013, 09:32 AM

Personally, I would try a bunch of cues before selecting one even if you have to buy them and resell them back. If you go over to the wanted/for sale section here, you can normally find good deals there where you wouldn't lose much money reselling. Here is a list of cues I think you should try:

Jensen
Josey
Frey
Barnhart
PFD
Pierce
Barnhart

There are plenty of others obviously but I would start with those. I personally wouldn't switch to a predator if you have been using a regular shaft and are playing relatively well. I made that mistake of switching to predator for about a year and it's definitely an adjustment. It's all personal preference. Good Luck!

Johnnyt
Old
  (#6)
Johnnyt
Bring Back The 10 Foot Ta
Johnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 227290

Johnnyt - 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM

It's the tip and then the shaft and what feel like a good feel/hit to you. I wouldn't wait 10 minutes for a custom cue. Johnnyt

Old People Rock
These Golden years suck.

Old
  (#7)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2013, 09:42 AM

As usual, I disagree with the above....

I recommend putting a tad more in a cue and picking up a used Southwest.

IMO, Southwest is about the only cue in the 2-3K range that isn't dropping in value.

When you get ready to sell it, you will get at least what you paid for it or very close.

If not that, I would recommend look on secondary market for used name brand cuemakers.

I often see some pretty decent deals here.

If you buy a Schon or Pechaurer or other new production cue, consider it only worth about 1/2 what you paid for it when you are ready to sell it again.

If you are thinking about a Schon, IMO, I would only consider older ones with sharp points, not the cnc models produced today.

JMO

Best of rolls,

Ken

Current cues - Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Southwest (Ebony nosed, JF Era), Pfd, Palmer Model 16, Josswest Ivory joint, BHQ Butterfly and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini, JB Case.

Watchez is the teacher

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#8)
Diamond69
AzB Silver Member
Diamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond69 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 528

08-14-2013, 09:45 AM

Where are you located? Most areas have reputable cue makers within a reasonable distance.

I love my Chris Whitaker cue. And the next cue I shoot with will probably be another of the same.

With a local cue maker, you can try the cue, tell him what you like, etc.

Chris' prices are very reasonable and it's the most well balanced, best hitting cue I've played with.

The pool Gods. Sometimes they're with you, sometimes they're against you. Deal with it.

Old
  (#9)
zpele
AzB Silver Member
zpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
As usual, I disagree with the above....

I recommend putting a tad more in a cue and picking up a used Southwest.

IMO, Southwest is about the only cue in the 2-3K range that isn't dropping in value.

When you get ready to sell it, you will get at least what you paid for it or very close.

If not that, I would recommend look on secondary market for used name brand cuemakers.

I often see some pretty decent deals here.

If you buy a Schon or Pechaurer or other new production cue, consider it only worth about 1/2 what you paid for it when you are ready to sell it again.

If you are thinking about a Schon, IMO, I would only consider older ones with sharp points, not the cnc models produced today.

JMO

Best of rolls,

Ken
Thanks for all the answers guys.

I always hit with an OB shaft and a Kamui Black S or SS tip.

I have hit with a Joss and while it had a good hit it wasn't what I was looking for because at the time I didn't have the money to buy an OB shaft to go with it.

I am interested in Schon but can anyone tell me why the hit is better with a Schon than a Predator or is it all subjective?

I am interested in either a wood to wood joint or a metal joint. Right now I have some sort of white ivory wanna be material on my McDermott and it doesnt give the amount of feedback I would like.

Old
  (#10)
mel_smOg
AzB Silver Member

mel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-14-2013, 10:01 AM

got custom route- well know names. They are well known for a reson and if you dont like it you can sell it easy and not losing any money, sometimes even making $$

Playing cue: California Burl Kikel
Shaft: Mezz HP2
Tip: G2 Soft/ Moori Med
Break: Varney J/B
Jump: Alex Brick

Snooker cue- John Parris Classic Cue

Other cues:

Searing
John Williams Custom Scull cue with Ca$h Ferrule less shaft
JD
Nova Titlist conversion

Cheap Searing Conversion!!!!!!

Old
  (#11)
jhanso18
Broken Lock
jhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond reputejhanso18 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2328

08-14-2013, 10:09 AM

We can build you an AMAZING cue for about $1500 give or take. You can PM me for more info if you like. Depending what you want for looks price will very, but a more plain cue that will play lights out, we can even get under $1k.

I would definitely go with a custom builder in that price range though. Buying a new schone is like throwing your money away, same with most production cues from what I see...

Best,

Justin Hanson

Justin Hanson
~ Keith Kues ~
They are truly "old school" made with no CNC, no pantographs, no veneers and about 55 gallons of coffee. ~ Keith Hanssen
www.keithkues.com

jhanso18@yahoo.com
<<<My email. (I am not Keith, just a helper.)

~ Volturi Cases ~

Old
  (#12)
nobcitypool
AzB Silver Member
nobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Joss and Schon are excellent cues. I took a lesson from Stevie Moore last weekend and hit 30 to 40 balls with his newest Mezz with the soon to be released 12 mm LD shaft. Very, very nice! Hit better than any Joss or Schon I've played with. We're i to purchase a production cue, that would be it.

If you're going to spend $2k, I'd recommend a custom. I'm a big fan of Mike Durbin and Travis (Blackcreek). They're up and coming cue makers and IMHO priced very reasonably. I also have a Kikel and Murrell, both of which look and play great. I have OB2 shafts that got all of them, makes moving from one to the other rather easy as all weigh almost exactly the same and are cored to be perfectly balanced for me.

Cues are a uniquely personal thing. Try to hit some different ones to see what you like. From an investment point of view, a custom is likely to hold its value or appreciate better than a production cue.

Playing Cue: Durbin, Blackcreek
Break Cue: Samsara

Cue
Old
  (#13)
Mr. Wiggles
AzB Silver Member
Mr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wiggles has a reputation beyond repute

Cue - 08-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpele View Post
So I recently started a new job and I am starting the process of looking for a new cue. I have a budget of 2k (or lower is better) so my options are pretty wide open.

Right now I shoot with a McDermott and there is nothing wrong with it but since it is really the only cue I have ever shot with I am looking to branch out into either a high end Predator (P3 or Panthera) or a custom.

The looks matter to me but no where near as much as the playability of the cue.

I also am not looking for a traditionally designed cue and would like something different from the normal points and windows type thing.

Are there any custom makers out there that design cues with different designs from the norm?

Depending on where you live of course, try and support a local cue maker or at least consider his cues. Many pool halls can order production cues and you help them keep the doors open. Best option is go to BCA Vegas event and test drive lots of cues! For a custom I would point you to Bob Dzuricky. Great guy, great cue!

Old
  (#14)
dbrown
AzB Bronze Member
dbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond reputedbrown has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2013, 10:48 AM

I played with a Gandy and Muccie for years and last year I bought a Hurricane from Whitey. Never thought I would change from a flemsey shafted Muccie but I did and I am shooting beter than ever. I would hit several cues before you deside. My custom Hurricane was cheep around 350 $ and it hits beter than some cues that cost 1000$.
It all has to do with what you like not the price!!!

Old
  (#15)
Black-Balled
~Slob on my Nobbin~
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyt View Post
It's the tip and then the shaft and what feel like a good feel/hit to you. I wouldn't wait 10 minutes for a custom cue. Johnnyt
I think that old fart might know something or 2.

Sure...looks are a factor, but remember that pool is what it is for.

If it doesn't feel right then it is effectively trash. It isn't going to be of any use to you.

I had a cue from a well know maker that I bought without touchig it and it was like a noodle. I couldn't run out with that POS if it was 4 stop shots in a row.

Try out some cues before you take the plunge. $2k is a lotta $ for firewood.

There is no beauty here, just the stench of wine and beer.
Death and hatred to mankind, poisoning their brainwashed minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: