Terminology Question

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
I'm asking this here as what I search for is the proper term fr a consumer to understand.

In cue construction, there is the Full-splice V-groove, Full-spliced butterfly, Half-splice V-groove, CNC/Phantograph cut/inlayed, Flat-bottomed hand cut/inlayed and Half-spliced butterfly.

What term shall I use to describe this. The Main structure, 29" long, was compound v-grooved and the point stocks were 25.5" long. Is this considered a full-splice, half-splice, neither? Full-length v-groove? I'm about done with this prototype and soonwill need a specific term to describe this system. Thanks

Attachments

• FromEndOblique2Wb.jpg
    FromEndOblique2Wb.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 481
  • ButtEnd7PtsWb.jpg
    ButtEnd7PtsWb.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is almost similiar to snooker cue constuction. Except that they do not have the sharp point and the star(sun burst) at the butt end. Snooker cue with this type of construction have rounded point, like a butterfly design cue. If I got the time I get a picture and post it up here. They call this a Hand-spliced cue in snooker. This type of cues are favor by most snooker player compare to full-spliced (machined-spliced, that what they call in snooker).

The way you construct the cue, it should be a solid playing cue.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
ATH said:
How much would a cue like that cost? :)
This is basically just the back-bone for a new series of cues that I'm coming out with. I still need to do the math and conclude prior commitments but will let you know once I come up with it.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
bandido said:
This is basically just the back-bone for a new series of cues that I'm coming out with. I still need to do the math and conclude prior commitments but will let you know once I come up with it.

I'll take the prototype and test it out for you :D

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bandido said:
Thanks guys! Did anybody notice that it's a 7-pointer?

You've made me a liar.. I've told people that nobody makes a 7 pointer. That's a first for me. I'm not gonna ask how..Very creative

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
chippyboy said:
sweeeeeet!!!

good job master er!
Thanks Chippy. I just might bring it to one of the tourstops or upcoming tourney. I do need to get out of the shop once in a while. Don't beat up on me too bad.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
sliprock said:
You've made me a liar.. I've told people that nobody makes a 7 pointer. That's a first for me. I'm not gonna ask how..Very creative
I'm sorry that I'm the one who inadvertently did.:) Thank you for the kind words.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
bandido said:
I'm asking this here as what I search for is the proper term fr a consumer to understand.

In cue construction, there is the Full-splice V-groove, Full-spliced butterfly, Half-splice V-groove, CNC/Phantograph cut/inlayed, Flat-bottomed hand cut/inlayed and Half-spliced butterfly.

What term shall I use to describe this. The Main structure, 29" long, was compound v-grooved and the point stocks were 25.5" long. Is this considered a full-splice, half-splice, neither? Full-length v-groove? I'm about done with this prototype and soonwill need a specific term to describe this system. Thanks

Since it's the full length, and there isn't any "splicing" that you're mimicking (the half-splice, though not a splice mimics a full splice), I'd go with:

Full length V-points
Full length V-prongs

Fred

Last edited:

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sliprock said:

Now about the liar thing. I saw a seven pointer in Dieckman's shop, about nine or ten years ago. Edwin's design is a lot different than Dennis' design, but the idea of a seven pointer is not new.

The reason you don't see many 7 pointers is, you have to index the blank to 51.428571428571428571428571428571 etc... degree increments. There is no indexer, or divider that is accurate enough for the task, at least I've never seen one yet.

I also notice that Edwin's points are 90 degrees at the bottom. They run parallel to a certain point then the angle changes. This tells me that the channels are cut at a compound angle.

The amount of genius I see coming from cuemakers never ceases to amaze me. Nice job Edwin, very nice.

Tracy

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
Now about the liar thing. I saw a seven pointer in Dieckman's shop, about nine or ten years ago. Edwin's design is a lot different than Dennis' design, but the idea of a seven pointer is not new.

The reason you don't see many 7 pointers is, you have to index the blank to 51.428571428571428571428571428571 etc... degree increments. There is no indexer, or divider that is accurate enough for the task, at least I've never seen one yet.

I also notice that Edwin's points are 90 degrees at the bottom. They run parallel to a certain point then the angle changes. This tells me that the channels are cut at a compound angle.

The amount of genius I see coming from cuemakers never ceases to amaze me. Nice job Edwin, very nice.

Tracy
Thank you Tracy. You are one sharp cookie to have ndeduced that compound cavity and matching point stock cut angles. To accomplish that I needed to really wrack my brain for the proper tooling as the compound angle point is cutter radius sensitive and most conventional cutters used in doing v-splices have a too large rotational diameter.:)