Critique my pressure match.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I made video of some of my highlights from the Rail2Rail coverage of a match I played at the Spokane Open. I would appreciate any input.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...ted/MyhighlightsatSpokaneOpen_zps9338d868.mp4

Partial quote from thread: Excellent adventure at the Spokane Open on 9/1/13 said:
We arrive Friday night shortly before the draw. I see a friend from Tri-cities and go to say hi. Before I can say anything, he starts telling me how he just watched this guy run six racks. I look to the table he is indicating and see a guy I do not know unscrewing his cue. He then tells me his name is Brady Golan and he won the tournament last year.

Now my wife walks up and tells me she just saw the draw and I am playing Brandy Golden, maybe a girl. I suspected otherwise! I go look at the board and will be playing Brady Golan on the tv table at 11 the next morning. The rest of the evening every person I speak with relates another story of his accomplishments. Starting with Dan Louie, who tells me, "Oh yea Brady has won this tournament more times than anyone." Then I get to hear how he ran seven racks in the finals one year, someone else thought he had won the tournament seven times, another talked of Canadian snooker championships.......and on and on.

Nervous, does not describe how I felt. Still it is what I came for.

The next morning I put my game face on and prepared to die in battle with honor. I played up to my ability and did win 4 games! My hands did quit shaking after I had won 2 games. Brady is a true gentleman and I definitely got my monies worth.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Did not work on an iPhone. It is all I have these days.

:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg, I know you were under a lot of pressure so it's hard to tell if what you've posted is actually your normal style of playing.

Some things I noticed:

I get the impression you're not fond of straying too far from the center of the cb, and that includes top spin and back spin. So you're left with punching the ball a lot. In fact, you seemed to have developed a style of stroke that facilitates the punch.

While that type of compact stroking and punching can be very valuable, it also makes you work hard. I wasn't surprised to see your 'body english' on certain shots where you probably would have been better served to let your stroke out a little. But that's not your comfort zone right now.

Since you've mastered the punch, maybe you could add more weapons to your arsenal by practicing letting your stroke out and practicing shots where you spin the cb a bit more.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Compounded with the fact there is only one place in my apartment that I get cell phone reception with the lowest strength possible has made my online existence near non-existent.

I want go into my cable modem woes either.

Ah, the travails of using a device intended for Internet newbies. :p (J/K -- I know you're not by any means -- but I can't resist the good-natured poke at anyone that uses an iPhone. ;) )

Here's the underlying link:

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...ted/MyhighlightsatSpokaneOpen_zps9338d868.mp4

-Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Greg, I know you were under a lot of pressure so it's hard to tell if what you've posted is actually your normal style of playing.

Some things I noticed:

I get the impression you're not fond of straying too far from the center of the cb, and that includes top spin and back spin. So you're left with punching the ball a lot. In fact, you seemed to have developed a style of stroke that facilitates the punch.

While that type of compact stroking and punching can be very valuable, it also makes you work hard. I wasn't surprised to see your 'body english' on certain shots where you probably would have been better served to let your stroke out a little. But that's not your comfort zone right now.

Since you've mastered the punch, maybe you could add more weapons to your arsenal by practicing letting your stroke out and practicing shots where you spin the cb a bit more.

Thank you Fran. Your analysis seems right on. I do not want to make excuses, so I would say how I play under pressure is ....how I play. Not necessarily how I strive to play. Your input will help me to close that gap.:thumbup:

Thanks again, you have given me some valuable advise!:grin::clapping:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Go with the flow

If you look at the video you will see that you grip the butt very short and your forearm is far from vertical during your PSR and as you go down on the shot.
When you are down you are making a major adjustment with the butt hand to the rear of the cue to find balance and vertical forearm.
If you grip the butt much closer to your balance point during your PSR and feel the stroke (Analysis/ Feel Strokes) before you go down on the shot you will smooth out a lot more: you will only have to make a small adjustment to find that comfort zone with your butt hand, maybe none at all.
I think it will help you let your stroke out more easily, more naturally.
Everything is a little forced and punchy. Let the stroke go loose and smooth
Sincerely: SS

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
You have provided an Ahah moment for me.

If you look at the video you will see that you grip the butt very short and your forearm is far from vertical during your PSR and as you go down on the shot.
That is by design. My intention is to hold the cue just short of the balance point and use the length to gauge where my stance will be. When I go down on the shot the right hand should be touching my pectoral in what will be my finish position.
When you are down you are making a major adjustment with the butt hand to the rear of the cue to find balance and vertical forearm.
This too is by design. My logic is to start with the cue in the finish position, then adjust the grip to a vertical forearm at address. Then I should be able to stroke(not punch) through the cue ball back to my finish position with my hand just under the pectoral.
If you grip the butt much closer to your balance point during your PSR and feel the stroke (Analysis/ Feel Strokes) before you go down on the shot you will smooth out a lot more: you will only have to make a small adjustment to find that comfort zone with your butt hand, maybe none at all.
Your input has prompted me to review the video again and I got a big Ahah when watching the 9 ball I missed. I set up with my right hand almost 6 inches outside of my pectoral.......Yikes, no wonder I was steering it as soon as I shot. I was trying to get the cue back over to my finish position against my chest.

My PSR should be;
1. Aim the shot.
2. Take a couple of air strokes to loosen up.
3. Position myself with chin on line of aim at cues length from cue ball.
4. Keeping chin on line step left foot then right into stance with cue stick over right instep and right hand against chest.
5. Adjust right hand to vertical when cue is at address.
I think it will help you let your stroke out more easily, more naturally.
Everything is a little forced and punchy. Let the stroke go loose and smooth
Sincerely: SS

While I will not be modifying my pre shot routine, I will be paying closer attention to doing it right. The strokes I was steering on were when I did not set up in my finish position very well to start.(I think;))

While my stroke should be compact by design, it should not be forced or punchy as I was doing. I will be concentrating on Loose and Smooth.
Thank you for your input. It has already been very helpful!:thumbup: