Contacts or Decot HyWyd's?

S

Scottster

PLease share your opinions on which you think would be best.

Unknown

just another banger
Silver Member
ive never tried the hywyds so i would have to say contacts, but the downside is they can dry up and blur a bit during a match. i recently switched to optix 2 contacts and they seem better (they are supposed to breath better) but i have only been using them since thursday. this weekend will be the real test for them when i will be at a tourney all day saturday.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Scottster said:
PLease share your opinions on which you think would be best.

Scottster,
I'll say neither.

I've been testing for several years. I hate the contacts (they blur just a little bit every time I blink, and I find it very distracting).

The Decots are "frog-glasses", my wife hates them, and my friends make fun of me if I wear them.

I finally found the solution. Regular prescription glasses, rimless, decent-sized lenses (but not "frog-like"), super light frames, set nose pieces so they ride high (up to, or just above eyebrow level). I have progressive bifocals, the reading portion made fairly narrow and low, the top portion set for 2-10 foot focus (not infinity). All I can say is WOW, the visibility and comfort are unbelieveable, and most people don't even notice them.`

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have rimless glasses so I had the lab make the lenses a little bigger top to bottom and it isn't noticeable. This is my everyday pairand they work fine.
Paul

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read throuhg about 50 pages of posts both here and at CCB regarding glasses, contacts, and surgery two weeks ago. The picture below is what I came up with. I suspect it is similar to what willibetmore and the pavlos have. They do the job, and look a lot better than the "rifle type shooting glasses".

Attachments

• glasses_ppt.jpg
    glasses_ppt.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,070

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
iusedtoberich said:
I read throuhg about 50 pages of posts both here and at CCB regarding glasses, contacts, and surgery two weeks ago. The picture below is what I came up with. I suspect it is similar to what willibetmore and the pavlos have. They do the job, and look a lot better than the "rifle type shooting glasses".

rich-man,
Definitely close to the mark. I also got the UV protective, anti-glare coating. I didn't do the high focal center thing (just made sure the entire usable upper area is for 2-10 foot focusing, only the very bottom of the lenses is for progressive bifocals, so there is great focus anywhere above the bifocal line).

I also was unable to get any "cable" attachments for the ear pieces. Does anyone know where I could get some; the glasses would be perfect if I could convert (they're pretty nice already).

P.S. - I HAD to get the progressive bifocals at the bottom of the lenses for scorekeeping and tip grooming purposes. I'll be playing breakup soon and he cheats like crazy, I'll have to be able to watch the scoresheet.

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
I also was unable to get any "cable" attachments for the ear pieces. Does anyone know where I could get some; the glasses would be perfect if I could convert (they're pretty nice already).
Check this website.

Tracy

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
Check this website.

Tracy

T-man,
Thanks, but I'm just looking for the wrap-around-the-ear thingies. I believe that you can get them separately, and attach them to existing frames.

Anyone know where to get these???

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scottster, I have to wear glasses too & I can really understand the handicap that glasses are to wear.

I too have tried several contacts, but I am unable to function in the Pool Rooms, where smoking is allowed. I tot purchased the Decot HY-WYDS, but they would not work. If I had thought about bent temples when I owned them, they might have worked. They seemed heavy too.

I re-designed a pair of my glasses, about 5 years ago, similar to williebetmore's, but I also added another feature to the frames. I bent the temples at approximately 25 degrees, so that when I am facing the shot, my vision is normal (90 degress) through the optical plane in the lens. That insures the image is not distorted. Works great for me, I couldn't play without them.

The prescription is for 10 feet.

The attached picture shows the bent temples.

My pool playing buddy just went for lasik... he shoots the eyes out of the Pool Balls, but can't read anymore. That's the reason I have never opted for the surgery, I couldn't see up close & personal anymore.

Attachments

• Nu Glasses.JPG
    Nu Glasses.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,810
Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
rich-man,
Definitely close to the mark. I also got the UV protective, anti-glare coating. I didn't do the high focal center thing (just made sure the entire usable upper area is for 2-10 foot focusing, only the very bottom of the lenses is for progressive bifocals, so there is great focus anywhere above the bifocal line).

My glasses are single vision (I'm young) so I had the oppurtunity to put the focal center at any location.

Ceebee, I showed my Optician your picture a week ago along with pictures of the HyWyd and the Zeis glasses so he would know what was available.