Pool halls in Phoenix, AZ

11Bravo

Registered
Hello,
I'm headed down to Phoenix area for a HP Service Rifle match. What is a good, clean pool hall/room near Anthem area? I'm not looking to get stabbed in some seedy joint because I smudged someones puma.
Are there any good people to talk to and maybe play? I'm not looking to throw down $100 a rack, I grew up in Nevada so gambling really isn't my Main thrill, besides, I'll be sending all my money into the dirt in the form of copper, lead and powder. Thanks guys,

11Bang-Bang

P.s. I'm also looking at a good billiards supply stores. Someplace that sells tips, chalk, tip tools etc. We don't really have anything left in Reno area so it would be nice to have a look see. I'll be passing through Vegas/Henderson so if there's a got to see store there I'd like to know, maybe even a pool hall for a few quick games.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The only thing in Phoenix Area that is like a real Pool Room is Kolby's in Tempe, a College Town. Scott Frost use to call the place home, and it is where the lot of the better player hang out. Other than that you are stuck with what I call Bars & Sport s who cater to those who buy alcohol IMHO.

For supplies there is not better place than Shoot the Bull-House of Cues in Downtown Phoenix. Jeff or Pat will give you the tour, and they will let you test hit anything Cue they have for sale on their Bar Box They sell Cues Cases, and Supplies. Do Tip Jobs for a very fair price, and the people who do the Tips have been doing it for years, and know their stuff.

Bet you will be shooting at Ben Avery, so the two place I sent you are both within 30-45 minute drive, if you obay the speed laws.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
If you have the time I would check out these places in no particular order. If you want some cheap action at Kolbys I might be able to oblige you, just PM me. What is your game?, what do you shoot? :D

West Side Rooms
Bullshooters
Stingers

East Side Rooms
Kolbys Corner Pocket
Skip and Jans
Main Street Billiards

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Everything you're looking for is at Bull Shooters, 3337 W. Peoria Ave., in NW Phoenix.

They are Arizona's largest pool room with over 40, 7-ft, 8-ft, and 9-ft tables, in the form of Gold Crowns, Diamonds, and Valleys.

They are visited daily by A-players, B-players, C-players, and D-players.

They have a full-service bar and kitchen.

They also have a full-service pro shop that sports the area's largest selection of tips, tip tools, chalk, and all other accessories. The quality and availability of walk-in cue service is also the best in the area.

I don't understand why anyone would purposely try to mislead you.

Roger

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Everything you're looking for is at Bull Shooters, 3337 W. Peoria Ave., in NW Phoenix.

They are Arizona's largest pool room with over 40, 7-ft, 8-ft, and 9-ft tables, in the form of Gold Crowns, Diamonds, and Valleys.

They are visited daily by A-players, B-players, C-players, and D-players.

They have a full-service bar and kitchen.

They also have a full-service pro shop that sports the area's largest selection of tips, tip tools, chalk, and all other accessories. The quality and availability of walk-in cue service is also the best in the area.

I don't understand why anyone would purposely try to mislead you.

Roger
I like Bullshooters a good deal, certainly my favorite west side room and I know if I lived on that side of town I would be a fixture there for sure. It is family owned and they take care of you there, always something going on or to do there.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Last time I was in the place now called Bull Shooters, it was called Six Shooters. There were two Six Shooters in the Valley of the Sun, the one in Tempe by ASU that closed, and ever reopened. Also the one that closed in Phoenix, and reopen as Bull Shooters that I have never been in.

Don't thing anyone tried to mislead any one, people have difference opinion based upon person experience, and where their travel take em.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The only thing in Phoenix Area that is like a real Pool Room is Kolby's in Tempe, a College Town. Scott Frost use to call the place home, and it is where the lot of the better player hang out. Other than that you are stuck with what I call Bars & Sport s who cater to those who buy alcohol IMHO.

For supplies there is not better place than Shoot the Bull-House of Cues in Downtown Phoenix. Jeff or Pat will give you the tour, and they will let you test hit anything Cue they have for sale on their Bar Box They sell Cues Cases, and Supplies. Do Tip Jobs for a very fair price, and the people who do the Tips have been doing it for years, and know their stuff.

Bet you will be shooting at Ben Avery, so the two place I sent you are both within 30-45 minute drive, if you obay the speed laws.

KOLBY'S...has junk GC's...and 1 Diamond 9ft ProAm. Of all the pool rooms in the area, Skip & Jan's is the only pool room that has cared enough about the quality play of their pool tables to do something about them....and I don't mean just change the cloth and call them good...likr he rest of the rooms in the area. FOOD is second to no other pool room in the area either, and with 5 GC3 9fts, 7 9ft Diamond Professionals, as well as 12 Diamond 7ft bar tables...no other pool room in the Valley has anything better than this pool room....hands down!

Glen

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
KOLBY'S...has junk GC's...and 1 Diamond 9ft ProAm. Of all the pool rooms in the area, Skip & Jan's is the only pool room that has cared enough about the quality play of their pool tables to do something about them....and I don't mean just change the cloth and call them good...likr he rest of the rooms in the area. FOOD is second to no other pool room in the area either, and with 5 GC3 9fts, 7 9ft Diamond Professionals, as well as 12 Diamond 7ft bar tables...no other pool room in the Valley has anything better than this pool room....hands down!

Glen

Kolbys has 11 nine footers and one 10 foot snooker table along with 5 bar tables. I would say that the majority of the tables play fairly well, there are a couple there that they put the bangers on that have big pockets and just suck. There are four there that play excellent numbered 6-9 and see action everyday, the Diamond has 4 inch pockets, the other three Gold Crowns have 4 1/2, 4 1/4 and 4 inch pockets. There has to be a reason why the best players in the state go there to play and practice. Our opinions are both biased as you did work there for them but I will say the equipment there is very good along with the food at Skips, I enjoy the place. I like the Diamonds they have but I did not like the so called Diamondized GCs and the way they played, totally two different tables.

Kolbys though in my opinion has the biggest and best menu along with the die hard gamblers and best players, I would put Bullshooters and Skips at a tie for second when it comes to food. Bullshooters did just win the best pool room in Phoenix award from New Times which Kolbys has also won in the past. I was at Stingers last night in Phoenix and it has mainly all Diamonds and the place was packed, very strong turnout and very solid players there also. If it were not so far I would love to run around at Stingers, Bullshooters and also Metro Sportz Bar. Here is a picture of me with Kolby's Preacher Burger. :thumbup:

Attachments

• 545471_482917081734812_2071961062_n.jpg
    545471_482917081734812_2071961062_n.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 910
Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Kolbys has 11 nine footers and one 10 foot snooker table along with 5 bar tables. I would say that the majority of the tables play fairly well, there are a couple there that they put the bangers on that have big pockets and just suck. There are four there that play excellent numbered 6-9 and see action everyday, the Diamond has 4 inch pockets, the other three Gold Crowns have 4 1/2, 4 1/4 and 4 inch pockets. There has to be a reason why the best players in the state go there to play and practice. Our opinions are both biased as you did work there for them but I will say the equipment there is very good along with the food at Skips, I enjoy the place. I like the Diamonds they have but I did not like the so called Diamondized GCs and the way they played, totally two different tables.

Kolbys though in my opinion has the biggest and best menu along with the die hard gamblers and best players, I would put Bullshooters and Skips at a tie for second when it comes to food. Bullshooters did just win the best pool room in Phoenix award from New Times which Kolbys has also won in the past. I was at Stingers last night in Phoenix and it has mainly all Diamonds and the place was packed, very strong turnout and very solid players there also. If it were not so far I would love to run around at Stingers, Bullshooters and also Metro Sportz Bar.

I think Metro just got new Diamond's installed last weekend:D

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I think Metro just got new Diamond's installed last weekend:D

Yes I heard about it but have not been there in awhile. I live on the east side of town so its around 30-40 minutes to go to rooms on the west side. I am sure more rooms in Arizona will acquire more Diamonds, I like to see a room with a mix of them like Bullshooters has with 7, 8 and 9 foot tables of Brunswick, Diamond and Valley.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Last time I was in kolby's I ordered a Hot Dog, and Cold Beer. I was happy with he quality, and the price was fair.

Kolby don't serve Hard Liquor, and I am not even sure if they have Wine for those who prefer wine over beer.

To me Kolby's is the closest thing to a old time Pool room that is all about Pool. The places with the Hard Liquor have a major investment in their Full Liquor license. So they have to pay for that investment with Hard Liquor Sales. Hard Liquor and Drunks go hand in hand. IMHO

I honestly don't think you got to have a Diamond Table to make a place a go too stop. Sun City Grand the community across U.S. 60 from where I live just got (8) 4.5' x 9.0's Diamonds. My buddy lives in that community, so we play at my place one week, and his place the other week. I honestly never feel let down when I go home and have to play on a Gold Crown II.

I honestly don't get all the hype about Diamond Pool Table except, they are pretty, and in some place the pockets are cut at a different angle than a Gold Crown to make the play tougher.

Big deal, as they said in the movie, Heart Break Ridge, improvise, adapt, and overcome, your a Marine.

LOL

Next thing to argue about is who is the best table mechanic in theValley of the Sun, Dave Claton has been doing our where I live for years, and management seem happy with his work so why change. BTW we have 29 Tables Total, (2) 3C's 5' x 10", (2) Snooker 5' x 10', and (25) 4.5" x 9.0" all Brunswicks.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Last time I was in kolby's I ordered a Hot Dog, and Cold Beer. I was happy with he quality, and the price was fair.

Kolby don't serve Hard Liquor, and I am not even sure if they have Wine for those who prefer wine over beer.

To me Kolby's is the closest thing to a old time Pool room that is all about Pool. The places with the Hard Liquor have a major investment in their Full Liquor license. So they have to pay for that investment with Hard Liquor Sales. Hard Liquor and Drunks go hand in hand. IMHO

I honestly don't think you got to have a Diamond Table to make a place a go too stop. Sun City Grand the community across U.S. 60 from where I live just got (8) 4.5' x 9.0's Diamonds. My buddy lives in that community, so we play at my place one week, and his place the other week. I honestly never feel let down when I go home and have to play on a Gold Crown II.

I honestly don't get all the hype about Diamond Pool Table except, they are pretty, and in some place the pockets are cut at a different angle than a Gold Crown to make the play tougher.

Big deal, as they said in the movie, Heart Break Ridge, improvise, adapt, and overcome, your a Marine.

LOL

Next thing to argue about is who is the best table mechanic in theValley of the Sun, Dave Claton has been doing our where I live for years, and management seem happy with his work so why change. BTW we have 29 Tables Total, (2) 3C's 5' x 10", (2) Snooker 5' x 10', and (25) 4.5" x 9.0" all Brunswicks.

For starters, you don't see Diamond's with rails from 6 different tables, pocket castings from other tables, Brunstone playing surfaces instead of real slate...just to name a few differences;)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Glen

i do like diamond tables but ... it takes more than just the brand of tables a place has when i decide on a place to go shoot pool. we have a pool hall in town that is all diamonds but it is the last place on my mind to visit when i go to shoot. oh yea i heard there is a bar in town with a few diamonds also but again i never go there either.

i look for a place that has a very friendly proprietor who is heavily involved in the day to day operation of his place. a place close to home. a place that has decent prices and good food. a place that takes care of their tables. a place that offers all types of formats to play .

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
For starters, you don't see Diamond's with rails from 6 different tables, pocket castings from other tables, Brunstone playing surfaces instead of real slate...just to name a few differences;)

Maybe if you are a world class player maybe what you mentioned above is important to you. If I was to leave where I live to go play in a Commercial Pool Room my choice would be Kolby's. They use to have a wonderful Sunday's and 8's & Under 9 Ball Tournament I use to drive to an hour each way a couple of time a month because.

I like Kolby's.

The TD ran a good event, and kept the tournament moving along.

They always had 30+ so the money in the prize pot was attractive.

But this is kind of like arguing about the best Chinese Restaurants in Los Angeles, I have my favorite Man Fook Lo on San Pedro St., other have their favorite, and I am sure there are many other great chinese restaurants.

When I go to LA is and want Chinese, it will be Man Fook Lo.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe if you are a world class player maybe what you mentioned above is important to you. If I was to leave where I live to go play in a Commercial Pool Room my choice would be Kolby's. They use to have a wonderful Sunday's and 8's & Under 9 Ball Tournament I use to drive to an hour each way a couple of time a month because.

I like Kolby's.

The TD ran a good event, and kept the tournament moving along.

They always had 30+ so the money in the prize pot was attractive.

But this is kind of like arguing about the best Chinese Restaurants in Los Angeles, I have my favorite Man Fook Lo on San Pedro St., other have their favorite, and I am sure there are many other great chinese restaurants.

When I go to LA is and want Chinese, it will be Man Fook Lo.

I don't think a player has to be a world class player...to be able to expect to play on a table that is worth the money to pay to play, instead of being called a banger...and can only play on the junk tables in the pool room...that the better players wouldn't touch. I've been in Kolbys, I know what I've seen, and unless Zach rebuilt the rails on some of the tables I'm talking about...they're an embarrassment to own, let alone charge customers to play on them:rolleyes:

Idaho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think a player has to be a world class player...to be able to expect to play on a table that is worth the money to pay to play, instead of being called a banger...and can only play on the junk tables in the pool room...that the better players wouldn't touch. I've been in Kolbys, I know what I've seen, and unless Zach rebuilt the rails on some of the tables I'm talking about...they're an embarrassment to own, let alone charge customers to play on them:rolleyes:

Don't let Glen get under your skin. He spouts off and defends it, even if proven wrong. And for the record...he's a banger. I played him 3 racks and he couldn't make 3 balls in a row.....on a table HE set up.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Glenn some people call Taco Bell & Dell Taco Real Mexican food, other know the difference. It really is not a big deal.

I bet on the guy with SKILL in Pool, not the Guy who has the dough to buy great tools, can not make em work, because of a low skill level.:smile:

Diamond Billiard still keeping you busy Glenn? Like maybe your major source of income?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glenn some people call Taco Bell & Dell Taco Real Mexican food, other know the difference. It really is not a big deal.

I bet on the guy with SKILL in Pool, not the Guy who has the dough to buy great tools, can not make em work, because of a low skill level.:smile:

Diamond Billiard still keeping you busy Glenn? Like maybe your major source of income?

To tell you the truth, Diamond has never been my major sorce of income, least you forget I've been a table mechanic for over 30 years now;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Don't let Glen get under your skin. He spouts off and defends it, even if proven wrong. And for the record...he's a banger. I played him 3 racks and he couldn't make 3 balls in a row.....on a table HE set up.

Still working on growing up?:D

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well like I said Diamonds Pool Tables are very pretty. Funny thing was we had a young guy come by our little community room last week, gather was giving him the tour of our community & it recreation areas, he was blown away with all the GC II, and said wow this place is really nice.

Mention he had a Diamond at his home in Chi-Town, but our 29 Brunswick's were impressive to him.

Everyone like something else, and I will stick my my Vote for Kolby's for Pool, and Man Fook Lo in LA for Chinese food.