Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 9 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
USPPA & Jump Cue Ban.. by Tony Annigoni
Old
  (#1)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

USPPA & Jump Cue Ban.. by Tony Annigoni - 02-23-2004, 07:36 PM

From the horse's mouth;

I agree with everything written below. I also admit, I couldn't have done a better job than Tony did writting this position paper

Quote:
Position Paper – Jump Cues. By Tony Annigoni

In light of our recent change in policy discontinuing use of Jump Cues, I would like to elaborate on some of the reasons behind this decision:

First and foremost, despite assurances to the contrary by manufacturers, the proliferation of jump cues not only alters the tradition behind the game, but also without question affects the cloth and the overall playing condition of the table.

Despite numerous attempts by self-proclaimed billiard experts to use golf as a comparison, golf is simply not an appropriate analogy. The playing surface in golf is not one that consists of a flat or regular substance throughout.

Having lived part time for 5 years in Monterey one of the most spectacular and historic golf Mecca’s of our time, I have had the opportunity to discuss this with numerous golf industry experts. It is a matter of fact that golf courses that have spectacular changes in elevation, surface, length of rough etc. are well prized for their difficulty as well as their drama and beauty. Currently the golf industry in general is struggling with improvements in technology that allow the average player to hit balls as straight and distant as Tiger Woods who regularly spends numerous hours correcting and perfecting mechanics tendencies in order to preserve the history and integrity of the golf record books as well as the mystery and right of passage required to attain his skill level.

I find it surprising that prominent members of the billiard inteligencia, might not consider snooker as a corroborating reference. They certainly have simplified the matter by outlawing jump shots and masse's. While swerve is allowed, any shot that could possibly result in a foul stroke is regulated against, including being allowed a free shot away from a frozen ball. It is not surprising to me that snooker is frequently played in front of large crowds for 1st place money as large as 300,000 pounds, while billiards and pool languish in obscurity. The great games as we knew them are currently reduced to sideshows such as trick shot competitions and glorified tit’s and ass reviews. The perhaps unintended result is the great players of our age being forced to travel the countryside, like aging gunslingers or displaced samurai known in feudal Japan as Ronin

I will certainly give the industry credit for lack of business sense in this case for supporting continued rules aberrations that relieve players from the need to develop skills one might acquire playing three cushion, carom, and snooker thus further reducing the need to continue to support these games financially. Fortunately, the rise of the playing contingents from billiard playing countries emerging on the pocket billiard scene may stem the tide as their skill in safety and escape from same, given today’s rules, increase their opportunity to dominate most fields.

Personally, I suppose it might have been the path of least resistance to simply have pursued snooker some 35 years ago. But that was then and this is now. Fortunately, the USPPA and Tony Annigoni are not beholden to any billiard industry entity other than our own, and will not be influenced by patrimony now or in the future.

My challenge to debate all sanctimonious self proclaimed billiard experts remains open. Perhaps the BCA Trade Show would be the proper forum. Heaven forbid anyone would have to justify their position in public rather than hidden behind the cloak of a computer screen a la The Wizard of Oz........Of course we could always have the manufacturers start making a table that isn't a 2 to 1 playing surface ratio, or one with sand as part of the composition so we could employ real pitching wedges as opposed to the surrogates in use now. I am sure that would go along well with the recent trend toward selling tables in home sauna outlets.

Thank the universe that Billiard Digest is not the only " journalistic outlet" and I use the term loosely, not as loosely as the BCA specs for tables however............

When conditions exist that would have Ewa Mataya enter the Hall of Fame prior to Jose Parica, perhaps the greatest cueist of this or any age, the voice of reason must be heard. While no one would doubt the numerous contributions Ewa has made to the Industry, the differential in playing skill must be taken into account. If any thing, the Hall of Fame should not in my opinion be a popularity contest.

But don't fret, I won't pick on the current billiard fraternity anymore, I am too busy making sure that everyone has a good reason to play billiards instead of just talking about it.

In Closing, I would like to hazard that I highly doubt we would be enjoying the artistry of Efren Reyes kicking a ball three rails, clipping the edge of the object ball and re-snookering his opponent, had some patrimonious billiard manufacturer handed him a novelty cue at age 11, instead of walking him to a carom table to hone his skills

Regards,

Tony Annigoni

Managing Partner USPPA
Principal Two Cushion Club
Principal Couture Events / Couture Marketing

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 49 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 20+

Old
  (#2)
Troy
AzB Silver Member
Troy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-23-2004, 08:57 PM

Tony has had a burr in his saddle about jump cues for quite a while. The Reno Sands very recently banned their use. It's no surprise the USPPA has also banned jump cues.

Troy

I couldn't agree more
Old
  (#3)
thebigdog
USCG MK1
thebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond reputethebigdog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

I couldn't agree more - 02-23-2004, 08:59 PM

I am so glad that jump cues will be banned from USPPA. I just hope that others will follow. I am no fan of jump cues, as I have posted in the past. I think this is a step in the right direction for the USPPA and the other billiard oganizations should follow.

Jump Cues ???????
Old
  (#4)
titanic
AzB Silver Member
titanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond repute

Jump Cues ??????? - 02-23-2004, 09:06 PM

I Grew Up In A Town Known For Snooker Players.there Was One Place With 5 Pool Tables And One 6x12 Snooker Table, Another Place With 5 Pool Tables And A 5x10 Snooker Table ,another Place With 6 Pool Tables And A 5x10 Snooker Table And The Last Place Had 3 Pool Tables And A5x10 And A 6x12 Snooker Table.

If You Played Snooker You Had To Learn How To Kick For The Ball Or You Had No Chance To Win.

The 6x12 Tables Usually Had A Long Bamboo Pole With A Tip On The End. Using A Bridge Most Times You Were Not Actually Trying To Pocket The Object Ball You Were Just Trying To Hit It So As Not To Lose Any Points.

Being Short I Always Envisioned Some Kind Of Holder I Could Attach Like A Backpack To Save Time Reaching Under The Table To Use It.

With The Experience I Got From Playing Snooker.....in All Other Games If I Am Not Frozen To A Ball Almost All The Time I Can Figure A Path To The Object Ball.

The Tables Were Not Covered That Often And Everyone Respected The Owners Investment, Giving Us A Good Venue To Play In. You Did Not Want To Be The One Who Damaged The Equipment As Others Had To Also Use It. In Those Days Not Many Players Or Hustlers Carried Their Own Cue Stick.

But I Digress......if You Allow Jump Cues What Will You Do When The Technology Comes Up With Spin Cues, Draw Cues, Bank Angle Finder Cues Etc. The List Would Go On And On.

The Other Day Someone Told Me I Was A Fool To Use Sandpaper To Smooth The Shaft Of My Cue. I Told Them I Would Give Them My Shaft And 500 Pieces Of Sandpaper And Would Bet They Would Give Up And Not Have Put Much Of A Dent In Reducing The Size Of That Shaft.

Even In My Era It Seemed Mostly The Older Guys Played 3 Cushion. But If You Played It A Little Playing Position In The Other Games Made A Lot More Sense And Was A Lot Easier.

Titanic Jerry

Old
  (#5)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

02-23-2004, 09:31 PM

Tap, Tap, Tap to Titanic Jerry

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 49 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 20+

Ban the jump shot?
Old
  (#6)
yobagua
AzB Silver Member
yobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond repute

Ban the jump shot? - 02-23-2004, 10:21 PM

If you are going to ban the jump cue then you must ban the jump shot. I have a friend who is 6'2". He jumps balls easy with his own cue. I who am 5'7" have to stand on tip toes to get elevation. Its impossible when the cue ball is in the middle of the table. The jump cue makes it even.

Old
  (#7)
longhair
Boyd Porter-Reynolds
longhair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2004, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobagua
If you are going to ban the jump cue then you must ban the jump shot. I have a friend who is 6'2". He jumps balls easy with his own cue. I who am 5'7" have to stand on tip toes to get elevation. Its impossible when the cue ball is in the middle of the table. The jump cue makes it even.
yobagua,
I sympathize. Being tall does give them an advantage. However, tall folks already have an advantage, especially on a big table. What can a smaller player do? Use a bridge, usually.
It seems to me that a rule saying that you can't switch to a different cue for a jump shot or that every cue has to be some minimum length would be easier to enforce than a rule against jump shots. How do we determine what is a jump shot and what isn't? If I need to draw from a position close to the rail the cueball will leave the table. When would that be allowed and when would it not be allowed?
Don't get me wrong, if the rule is NO JUMP SHOTS I won't shoot any and I won't complain about it. I just like rules that don't need referees all the time.
How is the jump shot rule regarded and enforced in canada?

Peace,

Boyd

Old
  (#8)
LastTwo
AzB Silver Member
LastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond reputeLastTwo has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2004, 11:10 PM

Really short people should get some platform shoes if they hate using the bridge. They may look funny, but at least they won't go broke.

Tap Tap Tap
Old
  (#9)
titanic
AzB Silver Member
titanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond reputetitanic has a reputation beyond repute

Tap Tap Tap - 02-24-2004, 05:22 AM

Tom in Cincy,
Thank you for the compliment which a lot of readers probably did not understand.
In the old days pool rooms had wooden floors.
When a game finished you tapped fairly loudly to get the attention of the rack man who upon hearing the tap tap tap would come to your table and rack them up for the next game.
When a player made a nice shot you would tap your cue on the floor as a compliment.
There was a subtle difference in the two sounds that everyone could hear and understand.
Thanks for bringing back the memories of days gone by.
I also remember if you played a dumb shot like tapping the cue ball and not trying to bank for the ball ( there was no such thing as ball in hand ) you would find no one would play with you.It was like a rite of passage lesson to be learned.
There was also a definite pecking order which demanded respect. You did not walk into a pool room and have an attitude. Someone would either beat you playing pool or kick your ass or maybe both.
I don't mean to ramble or dwell in the past . Forgive me for that but I was impressed with your Tap , Tap, Tap reply.
Before the changes to 9 ball if you made the 9 ball and scratched the 9 ball was spotted and your opponent was given ball in hand behind the line.
Why penalize the player who went for the tough cut shot or bank and scfratched.We used to have ring games of just shooting spot shots.
Oh well. Times change.Not always for the best as in the invention of the jump stick.Regardless of how tall you are you should be able to use the mechanical bridge. That is why it was invented.
If you play much snooker on a 6x12 you will get real good with a bridge.
Titanic Jerry

Old
  (#10)
instroke

vCash:

02-24-2004, 06:37 AM

Mr. Annigoni,

I suppose that I am one of those "patrimonious" manufacturers that you speak of and I am more than willing to debate you on this topic. What better public place than this forum which is read daily by thousands and perhaps millions of billiard enthusiasts? Furthermore, everything written here is part of the record.

A little later I will quote your letter and disect it point for point.

Sincerely,

John Barton
former manufacturer of jump cues and patron of the cuesports.

Old
  (#11)
Rickw
AzB Silver Member
Rickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2004, 07:27 AM

Yobagua,

I watched this player, Bucktooth, jump the cue ball with only about a 30% angle of his cue, and he used his regular playing cue too. I've never seen anyone elevate so minimally and still jump the ball like that. If I have to choose between jumping the ball and shooting a masse' shot, I'll shoot the masse' almost every time but that's just my preference. I would like to see the jump cue eliminated but not the jump shot with a regular playing cue.

Quote:

Rick W.

Old
  (#12)
senor
AzB Silver Member
senor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond reputesenor has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2004, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Ban the jump shot because of a height dis/advantage? C'mon now, let's get realistic. Tell Lennox Lewis not to use his reach advantage, tell Shaq not to use his strength advantage...it doesn't make much sense. Whenever physical skills are involved, someone might have a natural advantage over another, and you just have to deal with it. Banning jump shots with a full length cue takes a lot of creativity out of the game, imo.

Old
  (#13)
catscradle
<< 2 all-time greats
catscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2004, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instroke
Mr. Annigoni,

I suppose that I am one of those "patrimonious" manufacturers that you speak of and I am more than willing to debate you on this topic. What better public place than this forum which is read daily by thousands and perhaps millions of billiard enthusiasts? Furthermore, everything written here is part of the record.

A little later I will quote your letter and disect it point for point.

Sincerely,

John Barton
former manufacturer of jump cues and patron of the cuesports.
What better place? How about face to face? Then there can be a little give and take without all the flame wars that these discussions always wind up being via posts.
I'm not expressing an opinion on the main topic here, just one on how it would best be discussed.

Bring back Jimbo from CT
Better to wear out than to rust out.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
"The urge to struggle lies latent in everyone." - Roger Bannister, The Four Minute Mile
"To die is nothing, but it is terrible not to live." - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

Old
  (#14)
deadstroke32
AzB Silver Member
deadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond reputedeadstroke32 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 620
  Send a message via Yahoo to deadstroke32  
02-24-2004, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscradle
What better place? How about face to face? Then there can be a little give and take without all the flame wars that these discussions always wind up being via posts.
I'm not expressing an opinion on the main topic here, just one on how it would best be discussed.
Sometime a go jump q's were band on the pro tour . Some of things people were come up with was jus nuts .So bannig jump q'z form events it good and it is bad .Most people can't jump with a whole cue. But can with a short jump cue. So now back to the table to work on jumping with a whole cue agian..What is next can't use super hard tips to break?????
Some day it will get better.

The Deadliest traps are the ones we set for yourselves...

My playing Q Carolina Custom 4 pointer

Break Q : Carolina Custom.
Case : 2x4 from j&j Looks sweet..
email www.Carolinacues.com
Carmeli .
Gilbert.
Murrell.

Old
  (#15)
Mungtor
AzB Silver Member
Mungtor will become famous soon enough

02-24-2004, 08:54 AM

Quote:
So having a shorter cue helps you reach the middle of the table? I'm not quite sure that I understand that (but then, I'm 6'3 and don't jump).

If you find it that much of an advantage, play with a 50" cue all the time. I'm sure that you could adjust to it and jump. You've gotta weigh the pros and cons.

I don't have a real problem with anybody jumping if they play with one cue.

edit - 04/06/04

The alternative if you don't want to be stuck playing with a short cue all the time, just don't jump.

Last edited by Mungtor; 04-06-2004 at 08:24 AM.

Page 1 of 9 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: