Mark Wilson: Billiard Coach

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got into a pleasant back-and-forth with Watchez about Mark Wilson v. Allen Hopkins as far as coaching abilities for a high-profile event such as the Mosconi Cup.

Since that time, I have received this information about Mark Wilson and Lindenwood University. Truth be told, I had no idea about what Lindenwood University has to do with pool, but this is an area in American pool that I do not follow, I guess.

Lindenwood University is starting a billiards program, with Mark Wilson as the coach. Lindenwood plans to attract some of the best collegiate players in the country by offering scholarships in the sport, becoming only the second university aside from the University of Akron in Ohio to do so.

Chris Bartram should check this out. It's right in his neck of the woods. ;)

Read more about Lindenwood University and Mark Wilson ---> HERE

In the above-referenced link, it states the following: He has also coached many of the sport’s top players including Jeanette Lee, Ewa Laurance, Sarah Rousey, Gerda Hofstetter, and Karen Corr. All ladies, I see. :grin-square:

I'm interested in learning more about Mark Wilson's portfolio, résumé, and expertise in the pool world. Please share what you know. :)

Attachments

• 829.jpg
    829.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,922
Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an interesting link about CueSport College Pool Coachs ---> HERE.

Here is what it says about Mark Wilson:

Mark Wilson - CueSport International Instructor

Mark has been a top touring professional for many years, and is currently an instructional writer for Inside Pool Magazine. Receiving pool instruction in his early years as a player, Mark knows and advocates the importance instruction has for anyone wishing to become better. A winner of many prestigious titles, including the 1980 Illinois State 9-Ball Open Championships. Former BCA Advanced Certified Pool Instructor.

Specialized Areas - Professional Player and Advanced Billiard Instruction.

Location - Fairview Heights, IL

Attachments

• mark wilson.jpg
    mark wilson.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,886

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, I see the Watchez connection from St. Louis at the Cue & Cushion website ---> HERE

Cue & Cushion only recommends one instructor. That man is “St Louis Shooter” Mark Wilson. A BCA certified instructor that we are lucky to have locally here in the Gateway City. A professional pool player, an ESPN commentator, Tour Director of the WPBA and rep for Advanced Accuracy Cues. Mark is known for his versatility in teaching novices and high level players alike.

Go St. Louis Cardinals! :grin-square:

Attachments

• mw_cardinal_pic (1).jpg
    mw_cardinal_pic (1).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,959

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is pretty impressive. Check out this interview: Debut of the Lindenwood University Billiards Arena (9-28-2013).

Interview with Lindenwood University Billiards head coach Mark Wilson during the team's debut match against Melton's Maulers (Poplar Bluff, Mo.) for the inaugural event at the Lindenwood Billiards Arena.

Check out the Lindenwood University website on billiards ---> HERE.

They have Diamond tables. Hey, is that our young pool champ Landon?

Attachments

• rp_primary_IMG_5774.jpg
    rp_primary_IMG_5774.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2,082
Last edited:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the way ahead for US pool.

Just a bit of trivia for you. When Efren played Earl in THE COLOR OF MONEY race to 125 racks, the referee was ...........................Mark Wilson

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
If you knew how many champions mark has made you would not believe me if I named them, he's responsible for building many strong players.
He's worked with a few in his day'
The names would make you trimble if your a road player and wondered where they came from and how it's possible for a player to be such a strong shooter/player-
He'd be my top pick for a instructor bar none!
A lot don't realize he's built a army of strong players.
Watch out for the Midwest!

Rob.M

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Jam, I met with Mark on Saturday, we spent about 8 hrs together and I can tell you this everything about him is TOP notch, his attitude, teaching, coaching and so on. I am a master level instructor for the Army and have been around great instructors and poor instructors and I can tell you this without a doubt he is in the top of the great category.

Mark and I talked a little about his teaching, coaching, requirements at Lindenwood and what they have accomplished over the past 2 years that Mark has been there. I have have met 3 of his students several times and competed against them aswell and their attitude on and off the table is 1st class.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I first met Mark at a little bar in Quincy Illinois called 'The Place'.

I recently got into a pleasant back-and-forth with Watchez about Mark Wilson v. Allen Hopkins as far as coaching abilities for a high-profile event such as the Mosconi Cup.

Since that time, I have received this information about Mark Wilson and Lindenwood University. Truth be told, I had no idea about what Lindenwood University has to do with pool, but this is an area in American pool that I do not follow, I guess.

Lindenwood University is starting a billiards program, with Mark Wilson as the coach. Lindenwood plans to attract some of the best collegiate players in the country by offering scholarships in the sport, becoming only the second university aside from the University of Akron in Ohio to do so.

In the above-referenced link, it states the following: He has also coached many of the sport’s top players including Jeanette Lee, Ewa Laurance, Sarah Rousey, Gerda Hofstetter, and Karen Corr. All ladies, I see. :grin-square:

I'm interested in learning more about Mark Wilson's portfolio, résumé, and expertise in the pool world. Please share what you know. :)

I first met Mark when I was 16 years old at a little bar in Quincy Illinois called 'The Place'. They used to have tournaments and some of the best players were Mark Wilson, Jeff Carter, and Scott Kitto......along with local talent like Bobby Walker, TR Farris, Jack Cooper, and "Fergi".

We all played pretty close, and back then there was a lot of gambling, especially with the locals so it was a great "Place" to tune up your pool game. 'The Place' is also where I first ran into the legendary bar table players, Doug Smith and Benny Conway.

Mark was a solid finisher and consistent participant in these tournaments and as I started branching out in my travels I would see Mark more and more.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jenny, Mark also recently came out with his book "Play Great Pool" written by himself and Don Wardell (Williebetmore on here). It explains his teaching method in detail and is a must have for any serious student of the game.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Mark, all way

No question in my mind. Mark Wilson over Mr. Hopkins any day of week.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jenny, Mark also recently came out with his book "Play Great Pool" written by himself and Don Wardell (Williebetmore on here). It explains his teaching method in detail and is a must have for any serious student of the game.

Thanks, Neil. Thanks to all for the information about Mark Wilson.

With the Mosconi Cup Team USA debacle behind us, the subject of the lack of team unison has come up. A good coach, much like Team Europe had this year, would be a good asset for Team USA to have when playing in a team-like competition.

Here is a question, though, I have for those who know Mark and others better than myself. Mark Wilson is a good coach for teaching the fundamentals to beginners and fine-tuning the amateur player to the next level. But would accomplished pros, such as those on Team USA for Mosconi Cup, respond okay to a coach like Mark Wilson?

What are your thoughts? :smile:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel, and even Scott Frost would be great choices for the Mosconi Cup Captain

With the Mosconi Cup Team USA debacle behind us, the subject of the lack of team unison has come up. A good coach, much like Team Europe had this year, would be a good asset for Team USA to have when playing in a team-like competition.

Here is a question, though, I have for those who know Mark and others better than myself. Mark Wilson is a good coach for teaching the fundamentes to beginnings and fine-tuning the amateur player to the next level. But would accomplished pros, such as those on Team USA for Mosconi Cup, respond okay to a coach like Mark Wilson?

That's a whole other type situation. The USA players most likely would respond better to someone like Allen Hopkins that they've played against in the past. Mike Sigel, and even Scott Frost would be great choices for the Mosconi Cup Captain. Having experienced with it takes to be Captain I know it requires more than many "real eyes". ;) The Game is the Teacher'

Mark is a great coach, but not necessary for the men, although when the women have a Mosconi Cup in the future Mark would be a great choice. imho

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of playing against several of his players last year in the Michigan tournament (VT won) and at college nationals this past year at Arizona State out in Tucson. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Wilson.

Mark is a class act and one of my favorite representatives for pool -- the way he carries himself and his students is very, very impressive. He's not only a super nice guy to have a conversation with, but as many have stated already: the guy has a resume that no one else in pool has. If I didn't already have a career out of college, I'd probably try to head down there for grad school.

I recommend that EVERYONE get to know Mark at some point, if you ever get the chance!

Last edited:

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member

Here is a question, though, I have for those who know Mark and others better than myself. Mark Wilson is a good coach for teaching the fundamentals to beginners and fine-tuning the amateur player to the next level. But would accomplished pros, such as those on Team USA for Mosconi Cup, respond okay to a coach like Mark Wilson?

I think team USA would have nowhere to go but up. His positive attitude aproach to the game, his team building skills and having been a professional player would do great things for the players.

The down fall would be his no BS attutude for the players meaning you LOOK, ACT and BE professional with each other and everyone around you, on and off the table or your off the team aproach. He wants nothing more then for his team to respect each other and the game and be a good steward of the game. That is what I got from him when we visited last week.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JAM,

I am extremely impressed with Mark in every way. He executes a very balanced approach as Coach of the billiards team at Lindenwood U.

Mark not only expects high standards, he requires high standards. I could share an email or two concerning Landon and the team but instead I will just simply convey that Mark is all about development of character, self discipline, team work, leadership, personal integrity and yes, skill development-physically and mentally. Not only does Mark set high standards for the team, he leads by example. And lastly his enthusiasm is second to none and contagious to those that are lucky enough to spend any time with him.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That at least partially depends on who the team is made up of. Mark is certainly capable of top-notch coaching. However, the players at least have to have some desire to start with to win and perform to their best. Mark can bring that out in them if they have anything left to bring out.

But, when you have a majority of the team only interested in maximizing an easy payday by doing savers, or worse, and no real desire to win,or a large desire to lose, then no coach will be able to bring out what isn't there in the first place.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
That's a whole other type situation. The USA players most likely would respond better to someone like Allen Hopkins that they've played against in the past. Mike Sigel, and even Scott Frost would be great choices for the Mosconi Cup Captain. Having experienced with it takes to be Captain I know it requires more than many "real eyes". ;) The Game is the Teacher'

Mark is a great coach, but not necessary for the men, although when the women have a Mosconi Cup in the future Mark would be a great choice. imho

I don't necessarily agree. It depends on the type of "coaching" that Hopkins, or Sigel or Frost could bring to the table. It is more about "leadership" and having a unified approach to winning, and the right mind set to coach the men to victory. And that starts with their mental game and having a plan of attack. Not saying the others don't, but we don't really know for sure how they would respond.

Many other coaches of many other sports (ones far more difficult than pool) have succeeded all over the place without having first to play against their team they are coaching, in fact, I'd say that 99% or more have not played against the players they are coaching, and have won World Series, Super Bowls, Stanley Cups, NBA Championships, College championships in every sport imaginable.

I think it's time to quite putting pool on this pedestal that nobody else can coach except a HOF type player. Pool is the bottom feeders in the sports world, and every other league is stepping right over us with coaches that lead their teams to victory, but would never have been given a chance if they were coaching a billiard team that mainstream America has NEVER even heard of.....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That at least partially depends on who the team is made up of. Mark is certainly capable of top-notch coaching. However, the players at least have to have some desire to start with to win and perform to their best. Mark can bring that out in them if they have anything left to bring out.

But, when you have a majority of the team only interested in maximizing an easy payday by doing savers, or worse, and no real desire to win,or a large desire to lose, then no coach will be able to bring out what isn't there in the first place.

That is kind of how I see it too, Neil.

Most American pros' tableside demeanor is different from their global counterparts. I'm not sure how to say this, coming with the right wording, but I'll just blurt it out. It seems like the lure of American professional pool is that its American pro players have a little larceny in them. Heck, anybody that wants to gamble has a little larceny in their heart. It's not a squeaky clean activity, yet many Americans enjoy a good action match, challenge set, or a gamble. :p

Now, it could be that there's a new breed of American pros emerging. Oscar Dominguez is one player whose name is coming up more and more. He's winning, as Charlie Sheen would say. :grin:

Mark Wilson's persona may complement younger players who haven't been molded by American pool's past. It's food for thought. Earl, on the other hand, I can't see him taking advice from Mark Wilson. Most accomplished pros have HUGE egos. I may be wrong about this. I'm just rambling here. :embarrassed2:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM,

I am extremely impressed with Mark in every way. He executes a very balanced approach as Coach of the billiards team at Lindenwood U.

Mark not only expects high standards, he requires high standards. I could share an email or two concerning Landon and the team but instead I will just simply convey that Mark is all about development of character, self discipline, team work, leadership, personal integrity and yes, skill development-physically and mentally. Not only does Mark set high standards for the team, he leads by example. And lastly his enthusiasm is second to none and contagious to those that are lucky enough to spend any time with him.

Stan Shuffett

Endorsements don't have a ring much louder than this man's approval. Perhaps Matchroom should get him signed up and work with him to assemble a top notch squad and give him time to work wih them. That would give US Billiards fans some hope for the future.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Endorsements don't have a ring much louder than this man's approval. Perhaps Matchroom should get him signed up and work with him to assemble a top notch squad and give him time to work wih them. That would give US Billiards fans some hope for the future.

I like Stan Shuffet for Team USA coach too. He's won the respect of many players, young and old. I know several pros who have traveled to his neck of the woods to take a few lessons from Stan. :cool: