*Amazing LED Flat Panels* - the next generation of pool lighting

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Okay so as a pro player I've played under all kinds of lighting conditions - everything from fluorescent to incandescent to daylight to freakin' glow in the dark pool. So far I've never seen anything that compares to this, the LED Flat Panel. In fact, they impressed me so much I joined with the manufacturer to bring them the pool world, starting here with AZB.

LEDpanel.jpg

I know it looks in the picture like a whiteboard or something, but believe me it's a light, and a pretty awesome one at that. It's less than 1/2" thick, draws only 84 watts of power, and yet it gives off a full 4500 Lumen of pure white light, perfect for lighting any pool table -- and at only a fraction of the power usage of fluorescent bulbs. And each panel will last an average of 50,000 - 60,000 hours with NO loss of light output. They're really incredible.

image2.jpeg

Here it is hung. This panel is 2' x 4', weighs right around 18 lbs, and is hanging at about 7.5' off the floor. You can see that it easily gives off enough light at that height to bathe the table in tons of soft, white light with very little glare or shadow, and by the way no heat either!

image1.jpeg

In this particular room the owner has hung the lights using very thin cable, which gives them the effect of floating over the table (very cool), but for those of you that have 'T-bar' drop ceilings they just fit right into those, so you have hardly any installation troubles at all. Just replace one of the ceiling panels with the light panel and that's it! You can also say goodbye to the days of having to replace or repair ballasts, or deal with broken or faulty fluorescent tubes or light bulbs -- that's done! LED panels are self contained and totally maintenance free.

image.jpeg

The panels we're selling are made specifically for the North American grid and are set for a higher light output than most, to accommodate the more stringent lighting requirements you need for pool. They're also 'controlled current', which means they can be set on a dimmer switch if you like, and because they're so bright you can also hang them quite a bit higher than normal, which opens up your space a lot better. You tall players don't have to worry about banging your heads on the lights if you stand up fast, and room owners don't have to worry about a stray cue or cue ball breaking the light blubs and showering the table with glass.

And yes, there's more, because the best part is that LED panels are really affordable, like a fraction of what you're going to spend buying an elaborate light fixture such as the ones made by Diamond or Brunswick, ESPECIALLY when you factor in the power savings over the total life of the light (these things are a no-brainer for a room owner -- you'll cut your power bill by at least half and maybe more, guaranteed!).

UPDATE ON PRICING: I recently cut out one of the middlemen involved in obtaining these lights. From now on I can offer 2x4 lights for $400, including shipping, and the 1x4 or 2x2 lights for $300 including shipping. This is a great deal. Price includes the light, all accessories for shipping and wiring it in, and as I said shipping as well.

NOTE these are also the higher wattage lights, which is why they're a little more expensive than some others.

LED is the lighting of the future, and believe me, all you pool nuts will love it! There's very little glare, the edges are sharp, and you can play under them for hours and hours with no ill effects. Try them out, you won't be sorry.

Any questions or comments fire away...

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
175   0   0
What is the frame made of? When some clown swings his cue and hits it... you know how that goes.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What is the frame made of? When some clown swings his cue and hits it... you know how that goes.

The frame is aluminum, I believe, and the light panel itself is a real hard plastic. They're pretty durable, though -- I have a sample that I've been banging around just to check it out and it can take a lickin'. LED's don't use traditional bulbs they're tiny little diodes, so they can't break in the same way that a light bulb would regardless.

Besides, if that is a real concern just hang them up a little higher. I've seen people swing cues quite a few times, but never up at the 8 foot level, no matter what type of shot they blew :)

rheester

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
sounds pretty frickin awesome

i do have to admit, that this sounds pretty great. i'd love to see it in person, but for that cost, i'd be willing to pay to test it out.

i just need a table. but for sure, i will be getting this when i finally get a table.

just from a marketing perspective, what i'd suggest is going to a pool room and offering to do a free install of this on their house table and see what the response is from the regulars.

if it turns out that they like it, then potentially for that 300-400 loss, it could turn into the whole room changing their lights. then that would lead to publicity.

u could also even talk to mark griffin and see if he'd like to get try them out for his tournaments, or whoever supplies the tables, because i'm sure the shipping costs of all those lights are tremendous.

there seems to be a lot of potential here. however, i don't think home table users are a big enough market. tournaments and pool rooms, i believe are were the selling points are.

just a thought.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
In the pics it doesn't seem that the 2x4 gives an equal amount of lighting on the entire table. Are there shadows around the rails? Can you get a bigger light than a 2x4?

I'm not trying to knock your product at all. I think it looks great and would be very interested in one.
Have you guys thought about maybe sending some to different parts of the country to major pool halls for trial periods?

Rheester had the same idea as I did while I was typing.......

Last edited:

asiasdad

Banned
Rating - 100%
220   0   0
Looks like an idea whose time has come. I have a custom made 3' x 7' light
over my 9' table, and with the plastic chrome grid panels from home depot there
are absolutely no shadows or "hot spots" any place on the table. Completely
even lighting.

Maybe you could experiment with these dimensions and the grid before taking
your product to market.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   1
In the pics it doesn't seem that the 2x4 gives an equal amount of lighting on the entire table. Are there shadows around the rails? Can you get a bigger light than a 2x4?

I'm not trying to knock your product at all. I think it looks great and would be very interested in one.
Have you guys thought about maybe sending some to different parts of the country to major pool halls for trial periods?

Actually what about smaller and on the ends of the table. That way there's no shadowing near the end rails and both lights equally light the center of the table.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would really be nice if you could play pool and watch football or boxing at the same time just by looking up.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looks like an idea whose time has come. I have a custom made 3' x 7' light
over my 9' table, and with the plastic chrome grid panels from home depot there
are absolutely no shadows or "hot spots" any place on the table. Completely
even lighting.

Maybe you could experiment with these dimensions and the grid before taking
your product to market.

There's actually no issues with these lights with hot spots or shadows. I think my phone camera slightly distorted the view in the original pictures is all. Here's a closer in shot of the cloth and you can see how even the light is...

table.jpeg

Note also that this is not Simonis cloth but rather Championship and so it has a slightly darker shade than a lot of you may be used to

Here's one with a ball at the centre of the table. Again, very even lighting, and very soft shadows...

centertable.jpg

And here's another showing a ball close to a rail, you can see how sharp it is and how soft the shadow is...

b36728f0-b9d7-468f-82d6-24481fdd2bc2.jpg

(note that there is a little shadow on the end rail here, but that's not from the overhead light, the room owner has two spots up in the ceiling and they are casting the shadows shown)

Contrast that with another table in the room that is using traditional lighting and you can see much more shadow, and a lot more glare...

oldlight14.jpg

Note how in this picture there are actually THREE shadows cast by the object ball, one from each of the lights. This is the kind of thing we've just gotten used to as pool players over the years, as is the glare, but with the LED panels you get very little of both.

These lights are fantastic, pure and simple. Funny enough, when I popped into the pool room earlier to take the pictures they had a league match going on and two of the players took my card to order versions for themselves, and the rest couldn't stop raving about how cool they were. Trust me, you're going to start seeing lots of these around.

Last edited:

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

You can, but in the lights this bright they'd be a special order. If you truly want better coverage, which I personally don't think is necessary, then go with multiple panels. We sell not only the 2x4 and 1x4's, but also 2x2's, so if you want you can do combinations that might give the coverage you need. The tradeoff is cost, pure and simple. Fortunately they draw so little power that you could literally fill up the space over your table and still probably save money over a five or ten year period when compared to traditional lighting.

I'm working on this as we speak. If you have a room in mind PM me the contact information. Any poolroom that switches to all LED panels is going to save literally a ton of money in power bills.

Last edited:

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Actually what about smaller and on the ends of the table. That way there's no shadowing near the end rails and both lights equally light the center of the table.

You could do that, but really the shadow near the end rails isn't much of a problem at all. Here is a ball close to the end rail, you can see for yourself...

edgeoftable.jpg

You can see how bright it is under the rail, and how sharp the ball looks. Of course there's always going to be a little bit of shadow on the rail side of the ball, because light moves in a straight line and these lights are not directly over the ball, but this could easily be reduced by simply raising the lights. As I mentioned, these are hung at 7.5' off the floor, which is what the room owner wanted, but they could easily go to 8 or even 9 feet with no significant loss of total light. They're just ridiculously bright. The higher you hang them the more you reduce shadow on the inside of the balls, it's just a matter of finding the right balance. Besides, the shadow in this view is very soft, especially when compared here to the traditional lighting on the other table...

oldlightball.jpg

Again, a triple shadow from the three light fixture, and a much harsher, darker shadow plus more glare on the light side of the ball.

Now consider that the panel light is probably cheaper to buy than the fixture housing the traditional lights, will draw less power, give off no heat, and last more than 50,000 hours. What more can you ask for, really?

Last edited:

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It would really be nice if you could play pool and watch football or boxing at the same time just by looking up.

Well you can't do that, but believe it or not you can actually get panels that change color. Use white light for serious pool, then switch to yellow or red for horsing around with friends. No kidding.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
421   0   0
how much electricity is used?are they economical?
do they come with a warranty?
are they available in different sizes

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't represent the product, but the text said:

1) 84W which is less than 1 amp on 120Vac. That's pretty economical considering most pool table lights have 4-6 40W fluorescents.
2) Didn't say
3) They are available in 1x4, 2x2, & 2x4.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would like to know the color temp in degrees Kelvin. I would guess its up around 4-5k as it looks very white.

barking4action

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Trade a brand new mezz power break pro with rubber sport grip with a unknown maker maple shaft for one shipped to 94565 and I will review it and if I like it I can help you sell them in California. Jesse 9253303429

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
my thoughts

I am a believer that LED lights and other newer technologies will replace all the lighting that we are currently using. But I can't see buying something over the internet that I haven't actually seen live some where. Let us know when/where we can see these lights in use.

Also I think you made a good point about lights being over the ball. I think that is why many of the current pool lights being used have 8ft bullbs. The light over the ball minimizes shadows.

And another thing, you may want to consider incorporating these lights into the current wooden frames of the many light fixtures out there for some one looking for more than just light. I am about to hang a Gold Crown light over my table and I am already thinking about inserting two of your lights into the panels that hold the diffuser and eliminating the fluorescent fixtures and bulbs

All in all, l glad to see this coming..