Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Why so much hate for McDermott cues?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
hang-the-9
AzB Gold Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-24-2014, 06:11 AM

If you already have a G303, the G603 you want will play the exact same. Why pay twice for basically the same cue unless you want to start collecting them? You can get a cue maker to put a leather wrap on your cue for under $200 if you are just looking for a leather wrap.

Sure the G603 is fancier, but keep in mind that those cues will drop in value fast, for the $500 or so that thing will cost you, you can get a cue from a true custom cue maker that will play the same or better and hold it's value over the years.

You already have a $300 nice cue from McD.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#17)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-24-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMarshall View Post
Are McDermott cues inferior or is it that a lot of people prefer "custom" cues as opposed to "production" cues?
I love pool, I enjoy this forum and the info it holds. The one topic that really makes me nuts is pool cues.

There is a difference between ( what some people consider) collectable cues and production cues. I don't put down anyone who enjoys custom cues, I'm not one of them, but I think they are wonderful to marvel at.

What does piss me off is the arrogance of some custom cue owners who believe these cues are something more than "one off" custom designed cues.

This hits good ... that hits good .... Bah ... change the tip, sand down the taper and you'll change your hit. You don't have to have a custom cue to achieve that.

Now, you can bet one man shop custom cue builders can't buy like McDermott can. Even if they think they are getting the best wood, money talks and bull$hit walks. McDermott has the buying power to dwarf any custom builders pocketbook.

Now put yourself in the place of the company that sells the woods to cue builders. Are you going to hand pick the best wood for a custom cue maker that may represent 1% of your annual sales at the risk of not having that wood available to a multi million dollar company that may represent 90% of your annual sales?

I think that would be a stupid thing to do as a wood vendor. The custom builder definitely gets hold of the best wood that he sees, but not the best wood he doesn't see. Believe me,money talks, you take care of your premium customers.

There aren't many moving parts on a cue either, what the hell is going to explode?

Now Does Glue seep into the seems of a custom cues wood better than any other wood on the face of the earth?

Maybe this guy can answer that .... LOL

McDermott cues will win and loose pool games no different than any other cue. They are a quality cue and have equipment that custom builders can only dream of owning.

Now, that being said .... I'd never buy one, only cause I'm Italian and I can't deal with that Shamrock.

"If ya knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it." Danny DiLiberto.

Last edited by 3andstop; 01-24-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Joint Diameter
Old
  (#18)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

Joint Diameter - 01-24-2014, 06:22 AM

The only problem I have with McDermott is the joint diameters.

You can't take one shaft from one cue and put it on another.

Seems each shaft is made for that one butt only...on the 3/8-10 joints.

Out of all the production cue makers, McDermott is the worst for joint diameters.

Old
  (#19)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

01-24-2014, 06:29 AM

When I went to buy my cue, I had a lot of factors to deal with. Biggest was, of course, my limited budget. My geographical location being what it is, there were no places within driving distance that actually stocked cues at that time, to see and try in person.

I tried the AZB Wanted/For Sale forum, but that isn't a place for someone on a limited budget like mine.

I read everything I could online about various production cues that I could order online. Turned out someone at my pool room was a Mueller distributor, and could get me a better deal than I would get online, by a little, so I went through their catalog.

I decided on McDermott. I really like mine. No regrets, great value for the money.

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#20)
dnixon
AzB Silver Member
dnixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2014, 06:36 AM

I like all my mcdermotts no problem with any of them.with that being said I hate the lucky line

Old
  (#21)
slide13
AzB Gold Member
slide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2014, 06:53 AM

Yeah, I don't hear a lot of McDermott hate on here at all, actually, for a production company they seem to have retained a fair bit of respect from their older cue and most people seem to think that the current stuff is at least good for the money.

I have had experience with two McD cues and I have to say I wasn't impressed with either, both were brand new and neither was straight. But I can accept that those were likely just anomalies because most people seem to have decent experience with them.

I think if you are looking for a decently priced cue that will play nice McDermott or Viking is the way to go (I started with a Viking many years ago and I still have it and it's still reasonably straight after being in some pretty poor stoorage conditions. Have to image it would be straighter if it wasn't for the winter it spent in an unheated storage unit.

That being said it seems it takes $200 to get into any decent production cue these days and that is for a very base model. Once you get up to the fancier stuff you're in the entry level custom range. I would rather spend my money on an entry level PJ or SP custom than a production model. I believe they get more attention put on them during construction and more time spent selecting quality woods. Plus, I like supporting small craft builders like that in many things, not just cues.

Playing Cue: Jeff Olney plain jane bem
Break: Andy Gilbert j/b
Jump: Jacoby
Case: JB Ultimate Rugged

Old
  (#22)
Thepip
David
Thepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond reputeThepip has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Big McDermott Fan I shot with them back in the late 80 and early 90 and always wished I had one of my own.

One thing we tend to forget today is that with the internet and media exchange of information we are all more educated on what is out there.More and more people wright reviews test products posts video on you tube. People we have never met or will even talk to.

Back in the day I picked up a cue and either liked it or did not like it. No one could tell me the joint pin, shaft diameter, ferrel type, weight. We shot pool and loved it for what it was. Beat a guy with a pool cue off the wall you had mad skills.

Today it's about low deflection shafts, layered tips, type of chalk, and manufactured cues is giving back to the man and it's bad.

Play with an Allen Green 4 point players cue. Break with a McDermott Stinger j/b

Old
  (#23)
Hircine
Larry Byrd
Hircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond reputeHircine has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnixon View Post
I like all my mcdermotts no problem with any of them.with that being said I hate the lucky line
30-40 bucks for an alright cue? What's bad about 'em? First one I ever bought.

I love my current one, I have no idea what it is, bought it off the ebay for the butt so I could slap my i3 shaft on it, but yeah I agree about joint diameters it doesn't fit 100 percent correctly, although I think from playing with it, it kinda got broken in and sits better than it did before. I used to be able to see light through the joint and it was sorta slanted.

Old
  (#24)
Lesh
One Hole Bodhisattvah
Lesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2014, 07:53 AM

I have been shooting with McD cues for a while. My first cue I got was a D-19 and I still own it. Its a bone crusher and I will never get rid of it. I have owned and shot with many different cues from many different makers. I have concluded that new or old, cheap or pricey, McDermott cues hit just as well or better than any cue on the planet in the history of billiards. Doesn't matter if it's a B/C/D or G-series cue, they have kept the recipe fairly consistent throughout the decades and they all hit well. I have never heard a bad thing about McDermott cues in my life.

I'm rather interested if anyone can honestly say that they know of any bad McDermott Cue that they know for sure has existed. To me, it would be like hearing about how someone got a Bentley that turned out to be a lemon. I heard all kinds of stories about Predator, Meucci, Lucasi, and even a few custom cue makers who will go unidentified here by my hand that have had issues in the past. Im sure McD has let a couple slip by, everyone does.... but I would rather play with a McDermott cue than anything else BC it is so many of the things I value. Made in the USA, Cheap, Well made, and it really works well.

Best cue maker in the history of billiards.

Lesh

Playing Cue: McDermott G501 w/ Predator Z (2nd Gen) Shaft
Other Cues:
McDermott D19 (Blue - my first cue bought unplayed in 1991)
Predator 8-point "not-so-sneaky-pete" w/ Tiger shaft (traded something for it)
Meucci Gambler (2nd Edition - Spades - won in a 1993 tournament)
Tips: Sniper (sampling the Tiger Onyx)

One Pocket is the Teacher
"Play the Game, son." - Box
"Life is 100% mental." - Lesh

Old
  (#25)
Doug
AzB Silver Member
Doug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2014, 08:05 AM

From 1970 thru mid 1990's I owned several motorcycle dealerships representing many different franchises; one of which was Harley Davidson. In the late 1980's McDermott obtained liscense permission from HD to us their logo on three cues which were D series at the time. That established my interest in pool in general and cues specifically. At the annual HD dealer meeting that year being held in Milwaukee all interested dealers could visit the McDermott factory (brand new state of the art that year) and be given a tour of their production facility, which is what I did. My interest in cues led me to visit Richard Black in Humble, Tx, Tony Scianelli (Black Boar Cues) College Pk, Md, Danny Tibbits, Marietta, Ga, among others and I bought one or more cues from each. For snob appeal I like my customs best. Of course, saying they are the best keeps me from appearing so dumb too, having spent so much money buying them. I still have them all and from time to time play with them all and my performance level doesn't vary from one to the other. The shaft wood, mostly, is what determines the precision with which each cue plays and overall I am of the opinion after talking with these cuemakers that the custom builders will usually provide shaft wood that has the clearest and tightest grain. Certainly not because they have more money than production companies but because they look at and select each piece of shaft wood before deciding it has the highest quality they are looking for. Production companies can't take the time and in reality it won't make a discernable difference except to the few people who know what to look for. After seeing McDermott's wood selection, manufacturing tools, and finishing process I'm convinced individual cuemakers can't match production companies in those areas but do excell in value retention due to their limited availability.

mcD good inexpensive cue
Old
  (#26)
desi2960
AzB Gold Member
desi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond repute

mcD good inexpensive cue - 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM

lot of people use mcd's because of the cost and warranty's, and are verry happy with the cue. i for one cannot make 2 balls in a row with a mcd. can't really put a finger on it, something just dosen't feel right.
i flew into seattle for some fly fishing and pool playing with my best buddy, and did not want to take my cue on the plane [ 1976 josswest ]. he told me not to worry he had just won a cue in a tournament i could use. it was a mcd. first 2 nights we were playing in tournaments i did NOTHING, finally out of desperation, i put away the mcd and started playing off the wall, in the next 5 days i had won enough to pay for my vacation. i also popped a tip off my cue in league play and used my buddys mcd, never won a game that night. they might be great cues but I CANNOT PLAY WITH ONE OF THEM.

Old
  (#27)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2014, 08:11 AM

One of the BEST hitting cues I have played with is my C-14 McDermott that I bought new back in the early 80s. It hit so WELL that I sold one of my custom Richard Black cues and used the McDermott as my player.

I just had it refinished by McDermott about a year or so ago and it looks like brand new.

Aloha

Old
  (#28)
mmedford
AzB Gold Member
mmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond reputemmedford has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

01-24-2014, 08:13 AM

I'm a McD slut... for several reasons listed already. (see signature)

But my biggest complaint is the interchangeability of the shafts...just never happens.

The best cue; is the one that's with you.

4x8 JB Cases - Rugged Navy Blue
Mcdermott G218 - I-2 Shaft - Kamui Soft Tip
Mcdermott Sledgehammer - Maple Shaft - Phenolic Tip

HELP ME FUND MY FIRST LATHE!

Old
  (#29)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

01-24-2014, 08:21 AM

If there are some people that put down McDermott's now and then try owning a Lucasi like I do.
I caught hell on here from a few posters when I bought it.
Also there is nothing wrong with McDermott cues. Good production cue.

Playing cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#30)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2014, 08:27 AM

No hate here...My first three cues were all McDermott D models, they all hit like a freight train and did anything you could ask of any cue, production or custom. My brother still has his after 25 years, and I love to shoot with it everytime he's in town. I've hit with a few of the newer ones, not quite as good, but still rock solid. Any new player or friend asking for a recommendation on a cue for their kid gets "McDermott" from me.

Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: -R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
Schon SL19/STL17 (retired, again )
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: