Potting opponents ball after making your called shot, legal or not in 8-ball ?

Erosennin

Registered
Hi guys,

Just trying to clarify some rules. I recognize that you can just have your own set of rules, but me and my friend would like to play as close to the BCA rules as possible. Sadly in the UK, it's very hard to find any american 8-ball leagues or competitions, so it's hard to learn out the little rules which aren't explained clearly in the 8-ball rulebook.

So, scenario is,

One of my opponent's balls is covering a pocket, making it difficult for me to pot one of my balls. On my next shot, it's possible for me to pot another one of my balls, and control the cue ball so that after I make my called shot, the cue ball knocks that opponent's ball in, thus clearing the way for me to make the problem ball.

I've seen a few old 8-ball world championship games from the 90s in which this scenario occurs and it is regarded as legal, is that still the case with BCA rules?

Also, if the above scenario was slightly different, in that I would still make my called shot, but due to a slightly different layout, my opponents ball goes in before my called shot does, would that be legal?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
8-ball rules

Hi guys,

Just trying to clarify some rules. I recognize that you can just have your own set of rules, but me and my friend would like to play as close to the BCA rules as possible. Sadly in the UK, it's very hard to find any american 8-ball leagues or competitions, so it's hard to learn out the little rules which aren't explained clearly in the 8-ball rulebook.

So, scenario is,

One of my opponent's balls is covering a pocket, making it difficult for me to pot one of my balls. On my next shot, it's possible for me to pot another one of my balls, and control the cue ball so that after I make my called shot, the cue ball knocks that opponent's ball in, thus clearing the way for me to make the problem ball.

I've seen a few old 8-ball world championship games from the 90s in which this scenario occurs and it is regarded as legal, is that still the case with BCA rules?

Also, if the above scenario was slightly different, in that I would still make my called shot, but due to a slightly different layout, my opponents ball goes in before my called shot does, would that be legal?

Any help greatly appreciated.

The answer to both your questions is "yes".

I believe they are covered in the World Standardized Rules, which are almost identical to the BCAPL rules, as well as VNEA and ACS rules. All can be found easily on the Internet.

Erosennin

Registered
The answer to both your questions is "yes".

I believe they are covered in the World Standardized Rules, which are almost identical to the BCAPL rules, as well as VNEA and ACS rules. All can be found easily on the Internet.

Hi Donny,

I have looked through the rules here

http://www.playbca.com/portals/0/rules/8ball.pdf

before asking, but I couldn't find anywhere which specifically stated that this was legal or not.

But anyways, thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Donny,

I did look through the BCA rules before asking, but I didn't see anywhere where it specifically state that it is legal. The part in particular I looked at stated

" Once groups are established, play continues with each player having their group as legal object balls. Balls in your opponents' group and the 8-ball are illegal object balls. When it is your inning, you continue to shoot as long as you legally pocket a ball on each shot. Object balls pocketed in addition to the called ball remain pocketed. Your inning ends if you do not legally pocket a ball."

It's the bit where it says "Balls in your opponents' group and the 8-ball are illegal object balls." which made me question whether or not it was legal.

Anyways, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, appreciate it

That part about "illegal object balls" means you can't directly shoot at them with the cueball. Once your cueball strikes a legal ball, anything that happens after that (aside form things like you making the 8 ball or scratching) is OK. You can call your shot, make it, then have the cueball make 4 other balls by accident, and all of those would count.

Erosennin

Registered
That part about "illegal object balls" means you can't directly shoot at them with the cueball. Once your cueball strikes a legal ball, anything that happens after that (aside form things like you making the 8 ball or scratching) is OK. You can call your shot, make it, then have the cueball make 4 other balls by accident, and all of those would count.

Thanks for a lot for the further clarification, appreciate it.

Erosennin

Registered
Once your cueball strikes a legal ball, anything that happens after that (aside form things like you making the 8 ball or scratching) is OK. You can call your shot, make it, then have the cueball make 4 other balls by accident, and all of those would count.

Sorry if this is obvious, but if I missed my called shot (but still hit my legal ball first) and then potted one of my opponents balls on that shot, would that just result in loss of turn, or would it be ball in hand to my opponent?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
No problem whether by BCA rules you mean WPA rules (the rules the BCA follow), or you mean the BCA Pool League rules (BCAPL), a separate set of rules with their own rule book.

From the WPA rules:

3.7 Spotting Balls
If the eight ball is pocketed or driven off the table on the break, it will be spotted or the balls will be re-racked. (See 3.3 Break Shot and 1.4 Spotting Balls.) No other object ball is ever spotted.

BCAPL rules:

2-7 Continuing Play
Once groups are established, play continues with each player having their group as
legal object balls. Balls in your opponents' group and the 8-ball are illegal object balls.
When it is your inning, you continue to shoot as long as you legally pocket a ball on each shot. Object balls pocketed in addition to the called ball remain pocketed. Your inning ends if you do not legally pocket a ball.

2. Jumped object balls and illegally pocketed balls are not returned to the table but do count in favor of the player with that group.

In short, except the 8 ball no balls are ever returned to the table. In reality, you didn't even need to hit yours first to make the opponent's ball. You could have simply chosen to directly shoot his in to clear that pocket. Of course, this would be a foul and give him BIH, but the point is that it stays down however it goes in.

Last edited:

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Hi Donny,

I have looked through the rules here

http://www.playbca.com/portals/0/rules/8ball.pdf

before asking, but I couldn't find anywhere which specifically stated that this was legal or not.

But anyways, thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it.

The rules state, as they always have for the last 40 years that I am aware of, you must call your object ball and the pocket where you intend to make it.

THAT IS ALL!

It does not matter what else goes in nor the order it goes in, except for the 8 ball. They can all line up, spin around, dance the jig, form a train and march into the cornet pocket. As long as you make the ball you called, in the pocket you called it in and no foul is committed it is 100% legal all day long.

Now, the 8 ball cannot be made on the same stroke as the last one of your balls. That is the only exception. The 8 ball must be shot on its own and the same rules apply. As long as you make it in the pocket you called, you can make any or all of you opponents balls as a side effect. It does not matter what order either. As long as you make a legal called shot you win period.