Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Remington Arms moving 2,000+ jobs from NY to Alabama
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Remington Arms moving 2,000+ jobs from NY to Alabama
Old
  (#1)
UGOTDA7
RIP
UGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Remington Arms moving 2,000+ jobs from NY to Alabama - 02-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Hope the sources are correct, if so, good for Remington.

http://yellowhammernews.com/national...bs-ny-alabama/

by Cliff Sims in Featured · National Politics · State Politics— 15 Feb, 2014

High level sources have informed Yellowhammer News that Remington, one of the world’s largest gun manufacturers, will on Monday join Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley in announcing that they are bringing over 2,000 jobs to Alabama.

The company is viewing the move into Alabama as an expansion, but it will likely impact their Ilion, NY plant as well. The New York facility currently employees around 1,200 people. It is expected to stay open, but with a reduced workforce.

“The company is making the move as an expansion of capacity, production and research,” a source told Yellowhammer on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. “The demand for Remington products has skyrocketed recently, for obvious reasons, so they need to increase their production capacity. They will be expanding their research capabilities with the Alabama plant, too.”

The initial estimated impact on Alabama’s economy will be roughly $87 million.

According to Remington’s website, the company designs, produces and sells sporting goods products for the hunting and shooting sports markets, as well as military, government and law enforcement markets. Founded in 1816 in upstate New York, the Company is one of the nation’s oldest continuously operating manufacturers. Remington is the only U.S. manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products and one of the largest domestic producers of shotguns and rifles. The Company distributes its products throughout the U.S. and in over 55 foreign countries.

Remington first began considering new locations after the New York legislature passed the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act in response to the tragic shootings in Newtown, Conn. In addition to banning magazines that contain more than seven rounds and requiring instant background checks on ammo purchases, the NY SAFE Act broadened the definition of so-called “assault weapons” to include a wide range of guns, including the Bushmaster, which was being manufactured at Remington’s New York plant.

Almost half the states in the country have made pitches to Remington, included Arizona, Oklahoma, Michigan, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. But in the end, the company chose Huntsville, Ala.

The optics could not be worse for New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who told WCNY radio host Susan Arbetter about a month ago that “extreme conservatives” who are “right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay,” have “no place in the state of New York.”

Gov. Bentley and Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard both immediately responded to Cuomo’s comments.

“In Alabama we strongly support and uphold our great U.S. Constitution on which our nation and our states were founded,” Bentley told Yellowhammer. “The Constitution serves to protect individual Freedoms. Among them are those guaranteed in the Second Amendment, which protects the right of the people to keep and bear Arms. We will protect the Freedoms of individuals and welcome any one or any company to Alabama to discover as so many have, that we are a pro-business state filled with good, hardworking people.”

“If he doesn’t want hard working pro-life and pro-2nd Amendment people in his state, we will gladly take them here in Alabama,” Speaker Hubbard added.

It looks like that’s exactly what is happening.

Yellowhammer will have full coverage of the announcement on Monday.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Old
  (#2)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Its going to be nice having them here in our city. They will be welcomed with open arms.

Old
  (#3)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Thats what I like to see.

The more businesses that move out of NY the better.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
---Martin Luther King, Jr.

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

If our answers scare you, maybe you stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#4)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboy Up
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

02-16-2014, 02:51 PM

New York Law, Regulations, Taxes, Permit Fees, Wacko Politicians and other BS coming out of Albany & the Headquarter of the Five Boughs make business want to move to place that are more friendly to people running businesses.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces"-Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Want a Pool Cue Case, that offers, "The Protection Your Cue Needs™"
Consider a Pool Cue Case made by JB Cases, like my Masonite Pool Cue Case, below.

Made by John Barton, & his Team of Craftspeople, in John's workshop in Xiamen, China.

Old
  (#5)
Sev
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
New York Law, Regulations, Taxes, Permit Fees, Wacko Politicians and other BS coming out of Albany & the Headquarter of the Five Boughs make business want to move to place that are more friendly to people running businesses.
Come on now.
As a former NY'er I can assure you the place is virtually regulation and tax free.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

If our answers scare you, maybe you stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#6)
cuejoey
Charlie Five One
cuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Come on now.
As a former NY'er I can assure you the place is virtually regulation and tax free.
I think the progressives in NY have a long term plan to drive certain people out then the property values dive down...Then they buy up land in a few years at rock bottom prices then put condos in for the yuppies...

Hondo > 12-28-09 320pm Thread SPORTS POLL! post #28 "WHY NOT CLOWN AROUND AND HAVE SOME FUN"

Old
  (#7)
backplaying
AzB Silver Member
backplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2014, 07:47 PM

Great news and big Remington fan. I, along with my three grandsons have been hitting the flea market on Saturdays and have made some good buys in the last month. I bought a Remington 870 wing master pump, Remington model 878 Automaster, which is the best shooting semi-auto I have ever shot. Picked up a Remington model 710, 270 with a nice scope and yesterday my son-in-law went with us and we both picked up two nice 30-30's, mine a Winchester and his a Marlin. What would these guns bring in good used condition in your area's? All shotguns are 12 gauge. My Winchester 30-30 is stainless steel, which I had never seen.

Old
  (#8)
chefjeff
From liberty comes order
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Thats what I like to see.

The more businesses that move out of NY the better.
I thought you guys were into militarized border controls with no one coming or leaving without your permission?

What changed?

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#9)
Sev

02-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuejoey View Post
I think the progressives in NY have a long term plan to drive certain people out then the property values dive down...Then they buy up land in a few years at rock bottom prices then put condos in for the yuppies...
Contrary to popular perspective. Most of NY is uninhabited.
Unfortunately the entire state pays for NYC.

Old
  (#10)
Sev

02-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjeff View Post
I thought you guys were into militarized border controls with no one coming or leaving without your permission?

What changed?

Jeff Livingston
I am into not having a terrorist sneak across the border with a nuke or a bio weapon.

Of course if they are making an un-coerced trade between individuals for mutual benefit it really does not matter when or how the individual with the nuke or bio weapon uses it.
Right?
Because a sovereign nation does not need borders or a military to assure its populations safety from individuals intent on harm.

Old
  (#11)
chefjeff
From liberty comes order
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I am into not having a terrorist sneak across the border with a nuke or a bio weapon.

Of course if they are making an un-coerced trade between individuals for mutual benefit it really does not matter when or how the individual with the nuke or bio weapon uses it.
Right?
Because a sovereign nation does not need borders or a military to assure its populations safety from individuals intent on harm.
So, if Remington is a terrorist organization or affiliated with one, then what?

I bet a "terrorist" has used a Remington. According to the "law" that's enough.

You support terrorism with you agreement about the move. Don't agree? Too bad, it is written and you must comply.

Or, if you sug the right cog, you might not have to comply....for now. But when another letter is your authority, you might have to comply.

And you are in full agreement with that principle of rule, if not a detail or two of it, so you cannot use the principle to complain, but must fall back on your pragmatism alone.

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#12)
Sofla
AzB Gold Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Contrary to popular perspective. Most of NY is uninhabited.
Unfortunately the entire state pays for NYC.
I think NYC pays for the entire rest of the state, which is substantially in the rust belt. Isn't that more accurate than what you said?

Quote:
Downstate Pays More, Upstate Gets More: Does It Matter?
By Robert B. Ward
Deputy Director/Director of Fiscal Studies, the Rockefeller Institute of Government
Robert B. Ward

How much does my region of New York pay in the annual giving-and-getting that make up the state budget? How much do we get back? And perhaps more importantly, does it matter?

Email a Friend

Bookmark and Share
Deputy Director Robert Ward leads the Institute’s research on state and local government finance and on New York State government. An earlier version of this commentary appeared in the New York Post.

The answer to “does it matter?” may depend on a somewhat separate issue — the economic and fiscal stability of localities across the state. But first, let’s consider the numbers.

If indeed it is better to give than receive, New York City and its suburbs can count their blessings by the billions of dollars. City residents and businesses paid about $4.1 billion more to Albany in taxes and fees than the state returned in spending for education, health care, transit and other services in 2009-10. For the nearby suburban counties (Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and Westchester), it was $7.9 billion more in taxes than came back in spending, a new Rockefeller Institute study finds.[1]

Where did the extra $12 billion go? North and west, up the Hudson River and along the Thruway corridor to Upstate regions that have struggled economically for much of the last half-century.

In fiscal 2010, the Upstate region generated less than 28 percent of the state’s taxes and other non-federal revenues (including SUNY tuition, lottery and other gambling profits, motor vehicle fees and so on). By contrast, Upstate received a much larger share of state-funded expenditures, 42 percent.

Look Downstate, and the ratios reverse. New York City generated 45 percent of state revenues in 2010, but received 40 percent of spending. The gap is even larger for the four major suburban counties: a collective 24 percent of revenues paid to Albany, and 18 percent of expenditures received in return.

The state’s largest source of non-federal revenue, the personal income tax, is particularly concentrated Downstate. New York City and its suburbs represent 64 percent of state residents, but around 80 percent of the income tax.
http://www.rockinst.org/observations...g_getting.aspx

Last edited by Sofla; 02-17-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Old
  (#13)
Slide Rule
On NPR "Obama is a Joke"
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 02-17-2014, 05:47 PM

NYC pays for nothing.

What they spend is stolen from others. In all those pesky sort of legal ways.
That is why producers leave. First Rush Limbaugh, then Remington Arms, pretty soon
even Sean Hannity will think about it.

The city produces nothing but the arrogance of self worth.

All the best,
Al

Disclosure:
I am 3% Neanderthal and 97% Conservative.

Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
Richard Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
Roger Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
Karl Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies, & The Logic of Scientific Discovery

Old
  (#14)
Sev

02-17-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofla View Post
I think NYC pays for the entire rest of the state, which is substantially in the rust belt. Isn't that more accurate than what you said?

Perhaps you should move to rural NY and try opening a couple of tax bills.

The entire state pays for NYC.

Old
  (#15)
Sev

02-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofla View Post

http://www.newamsterdamny.org/

Divide NYS into New Amsterdam & New York

The state of New York really should be two separate states.
The views of people who live in the upstate and downstate
areas are very different. While approval of both Congress and State
Legislature is needed to divide NY into two states; an amendment to our New York
State constitution is all that is needed to divide our state into two completely
autonomous regions. The New Amsterdam Region and the New York Region;
which is almost the same as being separate states! Since Congress is unlikely,
in the foreseeable future, to give the Northeast two more US Senate seats
a new state would require; the two autonomous regions plan with
a token state government is more likely to succeed!
Please read below and click the "about" button for more details

Since Congress is unlikely, in the foreseeable future, to give the Northeast two more US Senate seats a new state would require. There are two ways to amend the NY state constitution to divide our state into two completely autonomous regions, with a token state government; that do not need the approval of Congress.
1) The NY Legislature must pass the amendment twice with an
election of Legislators, in be between, and then it is submitted to the voters.
2) Every twenty years the people of NYS get to vote on whether to hold a NY State Constitution Convention. If the Convention is approved, Delegates are elected for the Convention the following November. The Convention can then
submit amendments to the NY state constitution directly to the voters. The next time the Convention vote will be held is Nov 2017.

The New York Region would consist of the counties Bronx, Kings, New
York, Queens, Richmond, Nassau, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester.
The New Amsterdam Region would consist of the counties of Albany,
Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango,
Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Dutchess, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton,
Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Livingston, Madison,
Monroe, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Oswego,
Otsego, Putnam, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, St
Lawrence, Steuben, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, Washington,
Wayne, Wyoming, and Yates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: