Best tip for aiming...

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is to stop reading about aiming.

<Poof!> -- out of the blue! He lives! The "I've-got-a-thorn-up-my-backside-for-aiming" Quasimodo!

I thought you might've taken the summer off from your aiming-jihad?

-Sean

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
For my part, I'm grateful for a new (if recycled) topic on this aim forum. There is some merit to your post, Duckie--I say some because everyone below a pro level should at least be aware of their subconscious if not conscious aim procedures and occasionally review them IMO.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Learing to aim is simple, it is learn to be stead, and hit you target that is tough. Aiming is only one part of the equasion to making a ball.

Any DONKEY CAN PUT THE CROSS HAIRS on the "X" in the X-Ring with a Rifle & Scope.

The skill is in making the bullet kit its mark 1,000 meter down range. That take practice, and knowledge of many thing beside pointing, and pulling the trigger.

BTW CTE that John Barton talks about is an awesome system.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best tip for aiming is to be consciously aware of what you are doing. No matter what you use to get the ball in the hole, you have to be aware of how you do it. If you look from the pocket to object ball, then object ball to cue ball for example, its a good idea to understand that's how you aim. You will at some point need this knowledge to fall back on when the pressure is really on.

That's why I like aiming systems that give you a strict set of guidelines to follow. For example CTE. If you are struggling you can fall back on it by consciously following the guidelines set out in the system and can have absolute confidence the ball will drop.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best tip for aiming is to be consciously aware of what you are doing. No matter what you use to get the ball in the hole, you have to be aware of how you do it. If you look from the pocket to object ball, then object ball to cue ball for example, its a good idea to understand that's how you aim. You will at some point need this knowledge to fall back on when the pressure is really on.

That's why I like aiming systems that give you a strict set of guidelines to follow. For example CTE. If you are struggling you can fall back on it by consciously following the guidelines set out in the system and can have absolute confidence the ball will drop.

I find I'm the opposite (I've only been using CTE poorly for a couple months). I'll be nice and methodical about each shot and almost deliberate. Check cue ball path, Acquire visuals, feel speed etc. The problem I find is when I try to let my subconscious take over and get into a rhythm. I start getting faster and faster, and lazier and lazier, to the point where I'll just try and play an easy shot by feel without acquiring the proper visuals and miss. I feel like my natural subconscious rhythm is too quick, sloppy and terrible at pool.

I'm toying with the idea of wearing headphones with an audio recording of a metronome. Has anyone tried this?. I'm a little worried that a constant beat my effect my speed.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am new to trying any of the high order systems like CTE or TOI however I am going to venture a guess that if the view of the table you are shooting into is blocked once you know the contact point on the object ball you will miss more than 50% of the time if you are relying on either system.

I say this because I don't care what system you use you are relying on your peripheral vision to make adjustments to get your aim right and make sure the CB hits the OB where it needs to hit it within the allowable margin of error needed to make the ball.

I am very skeptical of any "system" and spent hours doing up a spread with calculated angles and bridge lengths that show the CTE system is very inaccurate at its core and relies on the shooters perspective while in the shot to make a vast majority of shots as does TOI.

Over time shoots become familiar to the minds eye and you can simply get down and shoot. More time allows for you to get down and shoot it with English and automatically adjust for any throw or swerve as needed giving you the cue ball control with it.

In a nutshell, I guess what i am saying is that you guys that have shoot a few hundred thousand balls can't truly use any system because you already know how to make the ball and have probably already done it tens of thousands of times. Even someone like myself that is approaching 100k can get down on the cue ball and see my "spot" to hit and make the ball. No system is going to show that to me any better or help me hit my cue ball better to get it to do just that. Nor is a system going to increase my margin of error for any given shoot.

I am going to work with the TOI for a short time. I am doing this because like most players I am very accustomed to gearing the ball with slight outside and find I miss many shoots that require me to use inside for one reason or another. I hoping to be able to overcome this problem by trying to always using a touch of inside for a while.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously, you don't understand how CTE/Pro One works or you wouldn't make such statements. I'm not saying CTE/Pro One is you or anybody else, however, for you to say you've proven it is inaccurate at it's core tells me (1) You're one of the anti CTE/Pro One Trolls; (2) You are clueless; (3) 1 and 2.

Why don't you post your angles and spread sheets that show your proof? I am 100% confident that all you'll prove is you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I am new to trying any of the high order systems like CTE or TOI however I am going to venture a guess that if the view of the table you are shooting into is blocked once you know the contact point on the object ball you will miss more than 50% of the time if you are relying on either system.

I say this because I don't care what system you use you are relying on your peripheral vision to make adjustments to get your aim right and make sure the CB hits the OB where it needs to hit it within the allowable margin of error needed to make the ball.

I am very skeptical of any "system" and spent hours doing up a spread with calculated angles and bridge lengths that show the CTE system is very inaccurate at its core and relies on the shooters perspective while in the shot to make a vast majority of shots as does TOI.

Over time shoots become familiar to the minds eye and you can simply get down and shoot. More time allows for you to get down and shoot it with English and automatically adjust for any throw or swerve as needed giving you the cue ball control with it.

In a nutshell, I guess what i am saying is that you guys that have shoot a few hundred thousand balls can't truly use any system because you already know how to make the ball and have probably already done it tens of thousands of times. Even someone like myself that is approaching 100k can get down on the cue ball and see my "spot" to hit and make the ball. No system is going to show that to me any better or help me hit my cue ball better to get it to do just that. Nor is a system going to increase my margin of error for any given shoot.

I am going to work with the TOI for a short time. I am doing this because like most players I am very accustomed to gearing the ball with slight outside and find I miss many shoots that require me to use inside for one reason or another. I hoping to be able to overcome this problem by trying to always using a touch of inside for a while.

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I went down to the garage to test your theory in practice. Set up 20 shots of various angles and distances.

Got my visuals then swept into center ball with my cue. Then I just one-stroked the shot to prove to myself I am not adjusting. Got 18/20.

To me - that's pretty accurate.

To you - it's back to the drawing board with your theory.

BTW CTE Pro One doesn't require any specific bridge distance for the vast majority of shots. Maybe start there.

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wish you had spent those hours actually learning CTE instead. In which case you wouldn't say such things.

I understand healthy skepticism, but how can you be running calculations on a system that you don't really understand?

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm actually getting tired of this argument of whether or not CTE works. There's obviously the two groups of people: those who have chosen to learn it, and those who haven't. Trying to convince either group is pointless.

So my final stance for any further discussions on this topic is that it's magic. Not magical...but straight up magic. It was invented by wizards and it's taught in fourth year at Hogwarts. It's not Levi-OH-sa, it's Levio-SAH.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish you had spent those hours actually learning CTE instead. In which case you wouldn't say such things.

I understand healthy skepticism, but how can you be running calculations on a system that you don't really understand?
CTE Pro One is not the simple system sceptics believe it is. It is not about doing the exact same thing for every shot. Different shot distances and cut angles requires variation in pivot.

When people say that they have calculated that the system doesn't work, they have not understood the intricacies. Also, the system does not rule out minor adjustments you may make for your own judgement.
CTE at its most basic is a valuable tool in getting close to the aiming line of a shot. It is the small details of fine tuning that take time to master and ensure you consistently pocket balls.

BTW I don't use CTE Pro One but I have tried it out. It is not a quick fix for learning how to aim, and I think it is a common misconception about what the system is about.