USA Mosconi Cup Team

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Well looks like Mark Wilson has his five:

From Mosconi Cup Facebook Page:

USA Five for Blackpool named!
Congratulations to Shane Van Boening, Corey Deuel, John Schmidt, Justin Bergman and Justin Hall who will represent the USA during the next Mosconi Cup held in Blackpool, UK, December 1-4, 2014.

f46d1c139bf9b5c1f4c6b5e5bc4f10fa.jpg

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised at Schmidt. He's extremely talented and has the right temperment and experience, but I don't think he's been playing a lot of pool lately.

Regardless I'm excited and wish the American team the best. Go get it done fellas!

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised at Schmidt. He's extremely talented and has the right temperment and experience, but I don't think he's been playing a lot of pool lately.

Regardless I'm excited and wish the American team the best. Go get it done fellas!

No Sky Woodward. Too bad, mistake IMO.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Schmidt is a grinder, and he's a good team member. I think he's going to be good for the team. :)

Hopefully, Corey will figure out the right break and rack after learning which rules will be in place. :grin:

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
No Mike Duchaine? Watched him play several matches seemed very good grinder also and pressure didn't seem to get to him...am I missing somthing??

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't see this ending well for Team USA.

Like a tea bag in the ocean.... "weak"

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Mike Duchaine? Watched him play several matches seemed very good grinder also and pressure didn't seem to get to him...am I missing somthing??

Wilson started with 8 and narrowed that down to 5. Dechaine was not one of the original 8 (though I think you're right, and he should have been).

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm not mistaken, Mike and Skylar weren't among the initial 8 Mark chose, therefore, not eligible for the team. Mike, because of his past behavioral issues and Skylar wasn't really on the radar back when the initial 8 were selected. Mike seems to have made personal strides concerning his image and Skylar looks to be a great up an comer. These guys should be considered for future Mosconi Cup Teams. The players selected should represent the USA well.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
both Justins sure have earned their spots this year. Hall looked tremendous playing one Euro after another at the Open. Schmidt is a champion and has ample time to get into dead punch. Hopefully Team USA can fade the Blackpool crowd and just play their games.

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A quick footnote: I saw somewhere that there were originally 12 candidates, and in early spring (March?) perhaps after an event it went down to the 8. I dont know who the additional 4 were that made the total 12.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s the money list for 2014 for US players:
1. Shane van Boening 157,960
2. Justin Bergman 47,220
3. Corey Deuel, 42,060
4. Skyler Woodward 39,795
5. Mike Dechaine 35,015

12. Jeremy Sossei 13, 250

19. Justin Hall 10,200

22. Oscar Dominguez 8,065
23. Brandon Shuff 7,875

37. John Schmidt 5,000

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I was pretty sure who the top four were, but did not expect Schmidt to be one of the five. He can definitely play though and he's been around a while. Hope his experience proves valuable to the team.

Looking forward to seeing what Team USA has in store. Don't count them out!

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in addition to the 5 and a coach/non-playing captain, they're taking along two cheerleaders as well?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well, I'm going to have to preface my remarks with this. I like John Schmidt a lot and I'm always pleased to see him. He has always treated me with respect and friendship. He's a quality guy for sure and I'm always happy to offer some sponsorship money to both the Derby City 14.1 Challenge and the World 14.1 event every year to see the best straight pool players, and John is one of the ones I most look forward to seeing play each year at these events.

.... but seriously, John's selection as one of the Mosconi 8 in March came as an absolute shock. How, I wondered, could somebody who did nothing at the 2014 Derby City Classic and who earned just $675 in rotation pool in 2013 per the AZB records, and who hadn't been much of a factor in rotation pool events for about four years, have even been a candidate for the team at all?

Apparently, he was not only chosen for the Mosconi 8 in March but also the Mosconi 5, for as his play since then (per the AZB records) in rotation pool tournament play didn't earn him a single penny, he certainly didn't climb into the Mosconi 5 on competitive merit.

John didn't beat a single player of note in rotation pool this year, and his sporadic participation in tournaments this year spoke volumes about how much he hoped to move forward during 2014. By comparison, in competition, Sossei has wins over Vandenberg, Ouschan, Eberle, Dechaine, Van Boening, Strickland, and some other top players in 2014.

I'm not sure John is one of America's top 20 in rotation pool right now. FYI, here is a list of nineteen guys I'd favor over him:

Shane Van Boening
Mike Dechaine
Jereny Sossei
Robb Saez
Donny Mills
Max Eberle
Shawn Wilkie
Brandon Shuff
Justin Bergman
Rodney Morris
Justin Hall
Corey Deuel
Josh Roberts
Chris Bartram
Sky Woodward
Ealr Strickland
Tom D'Alfonso
Joey Gray
Dennis Hatch

Incidentally, I'd put a Joss Tour Team of Dechaine, Sossei, Strickland, D'Alfonso and Shaw againt this Mosconi 5 and expect a pretty even match. All five of these Joss Tour regulars cashed in the US Open and three of them had top 5 finishes at Turning Stone. Yeah, I know, one of them is from Scotland.

Personally, I find the omission of all Joss tour players from this team to be an insult to pool in the Northeast. These are some of America's best, and many of them play both the Joss and Predator Tours. Where in the country do you find players who compete this often? The answer is nowhere, and that's a big part of why they were all ready when the US Open 9-ball event came along.

And, in case anyone thinks otherwise, Sossei is every bit the team player that John Schmidt is. Jeremy is a quality guy who is very well liked. I'll wish the Mosconi 5 the best of luck, but the inclusion of Schmidt, whose competitive resume is unimpressive in this decade, is a joke as I see it, unless John's superb US Open commentary somehow figured in the process.

To Shane, Bergman, Hall and Deuel, congrats on making the team. You were all very deserving. To John, good luck, too, but this was an opportunity you didn't earn --- try to make the most of it. If you do, I'll be one of the first to congratulate you.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Well, I'm going to have to preface my remarks with this. I like John Schmidt a lot and I'm always pleased to see him. He has always treated me with respect and friendship. He's a quality guy for sure and I'm always happy to offer some sponsorship money to both the Derby City 14.1 Challenge and the World 14.1 event every year to see the best straight pool players, and John is one of the ones I most look forward to seeing play each year at these events.

.... but seriously, John's selection as one of the Mosconi 8 in March came as an absolute shock. How, I wondered, could somebody who did nothing at the 2014 Derby City Classic and who earned just $675 in rotation pool in 2013 per the AZB records, and who hadn't been much of a factor in rotation pool events for about four years, have even been a candidate for the team at all?

Apparently, he was not only chosen for the Mosconi 8 in March but also the Mosconi 5, for as his play since then (per the AZB records) in rotation pool tournament play didn't earn him a single penny, he certainly didn't climb into the Mosconi 5 on competitive merit.

John didn't beat a single player of note in rotation pool this year, and his sporadic participation in tournaments this year spoke volumes about how much he hoped to move forward during 2014. By comparison, in competition, Sossei has wins over Vandenberg, Ouschan, Eberle, Dechaine, Van Boening, Strickland, and some other top players in 2014.

I'm not sure John is one of America's top 20 in rotation pool right now. FYI, here is a list of nineteen guys I'd favor over him:

Shane Van Boening
Mike Dechaine
Jereny Sossei
Robb Saez
Donny Mills
Max Eberle
Shawn Wilkie
Brandon Shuff
Justin Bergman
Rodney Morris
Justin Hall
Corey Deuel
Josh Roberts
Chris Bartram
Sky Woodward
Ealr Strickland
Tom D'Alfonso
Joey Gray
Dennis Hatch

Incidentally, I'd put a Joss Tour Team of Dechaine, Sossei, Strickland, D'Alfonso and Shaw againt this Mosconi 5 and expect a pretty even match. All five of these Joss Tour regulars cashed in the US Open and three of them had top 5 finishes at Turning Stone. Yeah, I know, one of them is from Scotland.

Personally, I find the omission of all Joss tour players from this team to be an insult to pool in the Northeast. These are some of America's best, and many of them play both the Joss and Predator Tours. Where in the country do you find players who compete this often? The answer is nowhere, and that's a big part of why they were all ready when the US Open 9-ball event came along.

And, in case anyone thinks otherwise, Sossei is every bit the team player that John Schmidt is. Jeremy is a quality guy who is very well liked. I'll wish the Mosconi 5 the best of luck, but the inclusion of Schmidt, whose competitive resume is unimpressive in this decade, is a joke as I see it, unless John's superb US Open commentary somehow figured in the process.

To Shane, Bergman, Hall and Deuel, congrats on making the team. You were all very deserving. To John, good luck, too, but this was an opportunity you didn't earn --- try to make the most of it. If you do, I'll be one of the first to congratulate you.

Oscar will gamble, without hesitation, with 9 guys on your list playing rotation pool.