Torrefied Wood for Cues?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do any of you have any experience with torrefied wood? I'm wondering whether it would be suitable for use in cues.

Torrefaction apparently is a heating process that changes the cellular structure of the wood but leaves it more resistant to shrinking, swelling, and warping.

Does it totally change the tone or feel of the wood when used in a cue? That might be good or bad.

Can anyone speak to the pros and cons of building cues with torrefied wood?

Here's a website with some information about it: http://www.torrefactionplus.ca/torrefied-wood.php

Last edited:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do any of you have any experience with torrified wood? I'm wondering whether it would be suitable for use in cues.

Torrefaction apparently is a heating process that changes the cellular structure of the wood but leaves it more resistant to shrinking, swelling, and warping.

Does it totally change the tone or feel of the wood when used in a cue? That might be good or bad.

Can anyone speak to the pros and cons of building cues with torrefied wood?

Here's a website with some information about it: http://www.torrefactionplus.ca/torrefied-wood.php

The link gives a whole list of reasons not to use this process for wood going into cues.

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Torrefied Wood

I have used toasted maple on a couple of cues. It has
excellent tone, plenty of strength and is rock stable.
Have to explain it's color to people, most think it is
some type of rosewood.
When guitar makers start using it for necks and fret boards,
I tend to pay attention. Only have experience with maple,
never tried any of the others.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I believe Charvel (owned by Fender) was the first to use wood treated in this manner,but they call it "carmelized".

The first guitar released for production using this wood is the Guthrie Govan model. Tommy D.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The link gives a whole list of reasons not to use this process for wood going into cues.

Sorry, but I don't read the link that way. It does mention a strength reduction, but indicates that "is not very significant for most wood species." What's the rest of the "whole list" of negatives for cues? And the link mentions a bunch of positives. But nothing in the link (pros or cons) is specifically about using it in cues, hence my asking the question. Have you used it?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Let's start with the age old adage, "there's nothing new under the sun."
IOWs, I've read about this process yeas ago. It's not new. It's charred wood.
Have I used it? No and it's likely that I won't. Gleaned from the provided link:

"The torrefaction process destroys most of the cells on which wood insects and parasites feed."

"organic degradation is very high"

"It can crumble more easily"

"Torrefied wood must not be used for structural purposes."

Building cues is all about structure.
Given just the attributes listed above, I want to stay as far away from this stuff as possible.
So, the question is now back to you; would you build a cue using this wood?

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
torrefied wood

There are levels of "cooking" do it long enough and hot enough and you have charcoal. Do it the right amount and you have crystalized resin, added stability and
a higher frequency response.
So, please don't use it.:smile:
I mean, what could Gibson, Fender, Ernie Ball, Shur, know about wood anyway.

Man, don't listen to us on the forum, go buy a piece and try it. Then you can
make up your own mind.
http://www.americanspecialtyhardwoods.com/productimage.php?product_id=250

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... So, the question is now back to you; would you build a cue using this wood?

I don't build cues. I saw it being used for some other purposes and wondered whether it might be suitable for cues.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Further proof that doing a 'search' can be rewarding.
You've answered your own question.
Good job.

KJ

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Further proof that doing a 'search' can be rewarding.
You've answered your own question.
Good job.

KJ

As far as I can tell, this is the first time the subject of torrefied wood has been raised in the Ask The Cuemaker Forum. I thought it might be a good subject for discussion, perhaps even an informative one for cuemakers who had not heard of it or used it.

Why you seem to be critical of my even raising the question is beyond me. Knowing in advance that at least one person has built cues with it is not a discussion. Your position that you have never used it and never will, for whatever reason(s), is fine. Others feel differently. But there was no need to criticize me, through your sarcastic post, for just bringing the topic forward for discussion.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Not so much being critical, rather highlighting the different reasons that I wouldn't use it.
I know nothing of this treatment of wood other than what I 've read starting several years ago.
You provided a link and I followed it. Those attributes that I quoted came directly from that site.
I wouldn't call them selling points as to why I would want to use that wood in cues.
Look, I don't care what anyone else does, I truly don't. That's what freedom of choice is about.
My choice is that I want to keep the woods going into my cues as natural as possible.
They're pretty awesome as is.

KJ