Cocobolo eye burl ,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.

leon sly

old school maniac!!
Silver Member
I'm curious to know if any cues ever been built using this wood...or has anyone ever seen this wood in cue stock size in the US...? come on all input is welcome.

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I certainly haven't seen all there is to see and since YOU are the one to ask the question,
I don't think you'll find 'eyes' per se, that you would equate with what you see in BEM.
I think the presence of eyes in either BEM or Coco are the result of two different phenomena.
I have seen many Rosewood burls (Coco being a Rosewood) but I think that what we would consider an 'eye',
is more the result of the gnarly omnidirectional grain of the wood wrapping around itself to form a center.
Whereas in BEM, it doesn't need the burl to form an eye.
Not making any claims, just throwing around some thoughts. Maybe an informative discussion will ensue.

KJ

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Birdseye coco

Leon,

I've seen a couple of cues done using Bocote but never Cocobolo.

Mario

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
The eyes in burl are surely different from the eyes in BEM but certain burl does have eyes.
I think KJ has it right in that is just wavy grains that cause this. Here is a pic of some excellent
Honduras Rosewood Burl I purchased a while back and espescially the second blank from the
top has lots of "eyes".

To answer the OP, no I have never seen Cocobolo Eye burl in cue size but I have seen it in sizes
close to cue size and I know it exists but it is just extremely, extremely hard to get.

Haven't given up hope yet though.

gr. Dave

Attachments

• HRBeyes.jpg
    HRBeyes.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 528

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Dave, are you still on the pen forum scoring the wood? I haven't been there in a while and someone there might have something like Leon is talking about. I've seen some WILD stuff there.

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a few more pictures of some cocobolo burl. I think I am affiliated also, lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 347