Hightower Mid-size conversion

KeyHammonds

Registered
I have recently bought a mid-size cue lathe from chris hightower.
I love the lathe just wondering ... Has anyone ever add a Digital Read Out to the cross-slide on the carriage? I saw some cheap Dro's on EBAY for $5.00 from china. I don't really know how to modify it to fit onto the cross slide and operate efficiently. I did see a couple videos on EBAY modifying different lathes. Just curious if anyone has ever modified a hightower product. Any suggestions??

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I went with Chris's Dial gauges and they work just fine. I haven;t looked at mine for some time but maybe if yer not into machining them, the mounts could be adapted for a digital. Just guessing here. Chris could tell you and maybe help too.

Have a look at Dano's digital gauge on his lathe. He would probably give you a hand with specs if you PMed him.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=385662

I wouldn't go with anything that cheap from China.

When it comes to cue lathes, tools and Doo Dads, yes, I am a Doo Dad addict, I tend to buy the best that I can find, within reason.

I bought a moisture meter and a spare fish finder for my wife for ice fishing from China.

Neither were worth the card board box that they had sent them in.

Hahaha. The moisture meter took an unreal amount of batteries and would burn out after one or 2 testings.

Yep, I learnded my lessons early on cheap Chinois products. (French for Chinese).

Also, there are a multitude of lathe bed clamps that are used on the bottom of steady rests, for example. Perhaps you can find one that can be modified to suit your need.

Todd at Mid America is a good guy to ask also. He has been known to go that extra mile for customers as well.

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
A DRO will run about $500 minimum and it would require some modification on your part to install it on the Hightower lathe.
The big thing to overcome is the headstock that is movable.
If it were stationary or if you never will slide it around then I dont see any other problems to overcome to put a DRO on the Hightower lathe.

Willee