Snooker makes Olympic bid

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Snooker makes Olympic bid

#bbcsportsday
Posted at 16:04
Snooker has submitted a bid to be included in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.
The Japanese host city is permitted to add one sport to the list already approved by the International Olympic Committee and the World Professional Billiards & Snooker Association believe the fact it is watched by nearly half a billion people worldwide and played competitively in over 90 countries makes the sport a viable candidate.
Chairman Jason Ferguson said: "There are few sports which can match the skill and concentration of snooker; our players are pushed to their limits in mind and dedication. You do not have to look far to see the fundamental principles of the Olympic Movement being promoted at the highest level within our sport."

This was also mentioned by a Japanese player about billiards being in the Olympics in Japan, i heard the host nation would like it included. This would be the lift cuesports needs.

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its interesting that American pool (for lack of a better name) Snooker, and Billiards all have different geographical regions of popularity. I wonder which one is more widely spread worldwide?

Snooker wins in terms of television exposure and prize money available, I would think.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should do several of the billiard sports, not just snooker. Snooker, 3C and maybe 8/9/10 ball, say 3 games of each of the pool games so a race to 9 total and maybe a trick shot portion also. Imaging getting your masse ranked by judges like how they would a gymnast? That would be neat to see. Since there are so many different types of games you can play just having one would not showcase the sport, there is not just one skiing event.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
They should do several of the billiard sports, not just snooker. Snooker, 3C and maybe 8/9/10 ball, say 3 games of each of the pool games so a race to 9 total and maybe a trick shot portion also

They should just be happy if one Cue Sport were to make it in.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should just be happy if one Cue Sport were to make it in.

Yes, but just snooker will be only for snooker players. Maybe eventually they can find a way to get a cue sport category, maybe darts can tag along and bowling.

Maybe the Fall Olympics where you train by eating a large meal of hot dogs with a pitcher of Bud and go play with the buddies LOL The Olympics, Leasure Sport Devision.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Yes, but just snooker will be only for snooker players.

Exactly. Will there be a problem finding World Wide Snooker players? Not to be facetious, but if you can't win a Mosconi Cup, you may have a problem fielding any Snooker Players that would provide any competition.

We even have Snooker Players in Canada. I have heard that they play it Down East somewhere.

Including 9 or 10 Ball into it would prove to be disastrous. The first time that a player threw a temper tantrum would be the last time you would see Pool in the Olympics.

Just kidding of course. But, the actual suggestion had a few scenarios running thru my head.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should do several of the billiard sports, not just snooker. Snooker, 3C and maybe 8/9/10 ball, say 3 games of each of the pool games so a race to 9 total and maybe a trick shot portion also. Imaging getting your masse ranked by judges like how they would a gymnast? That would be neat to see. Since there are so many different types of games you can play just having one would not showcase the sport, there is not just one skiing event.

I think snooker by itself is just fine. It's something many people follow all over the world, there is a strong governing body behind it, and it is a n incredibly challenging game.

Introducing twelve other random forms of billiards would just get muddled and confusing IMO. "Keep it simple" is a good rule to follow.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bud Ogbern , would have been a shoe in,,if he was younger..Allen Hopkins stated that Bud was one of the best snooker players of his day.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
We still have Cliff Thorburn and a few players from Quebec. If they can be dragged out of retirement.

Other than that, we have Alex the Lion. Hands off, he's ours.

They could play Scotch Snooker. At least, one wouldn't have to look far to find some Scottish Players.

Maybe some 3 ball. That would go fast.

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't read but isn't this simply as a demonstration sport? Bowling lobbied for the same back in the day but smarter heads prevailed. If nonsense like this keeps up lawn darts will have a case for inclusion too. At least it's not played indoors on a table.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I would welcome the addition of Snooker to the Olympics, and sincerely hope it happens.
Should it not, however, I would like to propose that Cat Juggling be added.
Cat Juggling, although illegal in the United States, is a sport requiring great skill and dedication.
A time limit of three minutes is placed on each juggler (nee athlete) who is required to juggle a minimum of three cats in a free-style format. Creativity is also encouraged, and can add additional points to a contestants overall score.
Also scored is the total number of cats juggled at one time. Currently the record is fifteen held by a fourty seven year old brick layer from Yugoslavia. :)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't read but isn't this simply as a demonstration sport? Bowling lobbied for the same back in the day but smarter heads prevailed. If nonsense like this keeps up lawn darts will have a case for inclusion too. At least it's not played indoors on a table.

Table tennis? Ballroom dancing? Those are Olympic sports.

Why not make a cue sport an Olympic sport as well?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We still have Cliff Thorburn and a few players from Quebec. If they can be dragged out of retirement.

Other than that, we have Alex the Lion. Hands off, he's ours.

They could play Scotch Snooker. At least, one wouldn't have to look far to find some Scottish Players.

Maybe some 3 ball. That would go fast.

You also have John Morra who I understand is no slouch in snooker as well.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Hey, I never used to see any place to go curling !!!

Now I believe there are places to go and it is more popular than years ago.

Yes any cue in the Olympics would be nice.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Curling, yer kidding me.

That's a mandatory class in Canada.

Even the guys have to take one class in Home Economics. "How to make a one piece snow suit".

And as a bonus, Carpentry students can build their own Dog Sled as a class project.

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I like the idea of snooker. This should be followed by the beautiful art of Billiards.

randyg

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Snooker would be the perfect cue sport to break the ice in the Olympics. It's the most popular cue sport on the planet I bet and is quite challenging.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Curling, yer kidding me.

That's a mandatory class in Canada.

Even the guys have to take one class in Home Economics. "How to make a one piece snow suit".

And as a bonus, Carpentry students can build their own Dog Sled as a class project.

What a difference a few hundred miles make huh !

Never see curling in my neighborhood.