Pool Table Spacing

ktrepal85

Banned
I'm buying a diamond bar box for my house and the room is barely big enough. Diamond recommends that the minimum space requirements are 13 ft x 16.5 ft. My actual room is 14'-5" x 17'-3". According to Diamond I have enough room however it doesn't seem like enough to me. There is only going to be between 4'-5" to 4'-11" of space between the edge of the table and the wall. What do you guys think?

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Plenty big enough for a 7-foot table, a little cramped for an 8-foot and a probably too small for a 9-foot.
I have a 9-foot table (a foot wider and 2 feet longer) in a room that is less then a foot wider then yours
and less then 2 feet longer and you never touch the wall.

gr. Dave

Last edited:

ktrepal85

Banned
"Plenty big enough for a 7-foot table, a little cramped for an 8-foot and a probably too small for a 9-foot.
I have a 9-foot table (a foot wider and 2 feet longer) in a room that is less then a foot wider then yours
and less then 2 feet longer and you never touch the wall."

Thanks Dave. I guess that makes me feel more comfortable. I know the stick would never hit the wall but I'm worried about my back foot interfering with the wall. I do have a bit longer of a stance than most...

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You measure from the edge of the playing surface, not from the edge of the table. :D

Room width 14' 5" or 173"
Deduct width of playing surface 38"
Space available 135" or 67.5" at each end
Cue length + 10.5"

Room length 17' 3" or 207"
Deduct length of playing surface 78"
Space available 129" or 64.5" at each end
Cue length + 6.5"

Math teachers please critique.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
You measure from the edge of the playing surface, not from the edge of the table...

Well yeah, that covers most play but there may be occasions when the cue ball is on the rail. Some players bridge with only the fingertips on the outer edge of the rail (the palm of his hand hovering above the floor). In situations like this a 58" cue could be hitting the wall. Even a wall 5' feet from the outside edge of the table only gives maybe an inch or two of margin for the player to backstroke all the way to his bridge.

Not saying it couldn't be made to work but 5' from the outside edge is a minimum to cover all possible scenarios, imho. ;)

Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I'm buying a diamond bar box for my house and the room is barely big enough. Diamond recommends that the minimum space requirements are 13 ft x 16.5 ft. My actual room is 14'-5" x 17'-3". According to Diamond I have enough room however it doesn't seem like enough to me. There is only going to be between 4'-5" to 4'-11" of space between the edge of the table and the wall. What do you guys think?

-

You've got just the right amount of space.

Diamond 7' play-field is 40x80 ; add 120 inches to 40 and to 80, then add about 4 inches for the back swing/stroke when CB is tight to or froze to rail/cushion... Then ur Gin'

Enjoy'

Rob.M

Last edited:

ktrepal85

Banned
Thanks for all of the input guys. I think it should be enough space however there will definitely be times where I'll have to adjust my stance to account for a close wall. It could be worse though. Now hopefully I can find a used table...

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
5 foot on every side.

If the table is 7 by 3.5 then you are gonna need 17 x 13.5. You have plenty of space.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure if you want a one inch backswing with a 59 inch cue. Table size + cue length x 2 + backswing x 2. Make sure to measure from cushion to wall and not the side of the table.