Pockets to 3 Cushion Table Conversion?

1hit1der

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any product that will replace the pockets on a pool table to make a poor man's miniature 3 cushion table? Kind of like pocket reducers, but rather pocket eliminators.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1hit1der said:
Is there any product that will replace the pockets on a pool table to make a poor man's miniature 3 cushion table? Kind of like pocket reducers, but rather pocket eliminators.
There are "pocket blocks" which fit in the pockets and add little sections of rail to turn your pool table into a carom table. I know someone who had them made for a Diamond table. They go by from time to time on eBay, but might not fit your table. If I had to have a set, I'd call Blatt's Billiards in NYC.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regular billiard balls are larger than pool balls. If you try to play billiards with billiard balls on a pool table the balls will not react off the rails naturally. You will need a set of 2 1/4 inch billiard balls. Good luck.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been looking for these- ok, I gave up months ago. I have seen (antique?) Brunswick ones on fleabay going for $250ish. They looked like they would need a miracle to approximate their intended function.

My friend, a good carpenter, said he could make rails that would fit over a pool table and inside the playing surface that could be tensioned from below to make it pocketless. Since he is pool-dumb, I don;'t think sufficient tension could be imparted on the add-on, due to the fact that it would have to be pressed acainst the pool table's cushions. It would be a neat experiment, but I am not motivated enough to pursue it...

GOod luck!

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
They have a 9' Brunswick gold crown carom table at Sharpshooter's in Manassas VA. I can't tell how it was made, but it has no breaks in the cushions or rails where the pockets would be, but you can see the arc-shaped recesses in the slates where the mouths of the pockets would be. I don't know if Brunswick makes a carom version of the gold crown, or if Brunswick made it as a pool table and someone converted it. The owner of the establishment would probably know, though, and I think I once heard Black-Balled mention that he knows the owner. He may be able to help you find out.

-Andrew

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That carom table came from Brunswick that way. IIRC, the table that is currently in Manassas came from Champions in Westmont (Arlington, pre-Shirlington).

Carom billiards was very popular in the early/ mid 20th century US, so I've heard. I wonder why it effectively dropped off the maP??

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
They have a 9' Brunswick gold crown carom table at Sharpshooter's in Manassas VA. I can't tell how it was made, but it has no breaks in the cushions or rails where the pockets would be, but you can see the arc-shaped recesses in the slates where the mouths of the pockets would be. I don't know if Brunswick makes a carom version of the gold crown, or if Brunswick made it as a pool table and someone converted it. ...
Both things happen. Brunswick does (or has) made Gold Crown carom tables, at least as 5x10s. If you see pocket cuts in the slate, it was probably a conversion from a pool table. I think I've also seen conversions from 10-foot snooker tables.

There is at least one company in Europe that offers three different rail sets to switch between pool, snooker and carom. Gabriels offers magnetically-held cushions that allow you to switch between pool and carom without changing the rails. The carom cushions go all the way into the pocket opening.

The tables with pocket blocks I've seen were not perfect but were playable. It depends on your level of play. I remember when the Egyptian balkline champion gave an exhibition at the Student Union. The table had a cracked slate near one cushion. It never bothered the local players who had two speeds -- warp and explosive -- but when the champ nursed the balls into the problem area, he got a big surprise. Balkline players often get quarter-inch precision on placement, which is impossible on bad equipment.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1hit1der said:
... Guess I'll have to find a real billiard table then.
If you're in the Boston area, try World Class Billiards in Peabody.