titanium

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Has anyone removed a titanium pin???? I usually use a torch but I would not for titanium.

tks

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why cant you use a regular torch for Ti?
It has a melting point of 1668c, that`s higher than steel.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would think it would be fine to heat with a torch. I have not had to do it, but that is exactly what I would try if I needed to remove one.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are not going to have China Syndrome, by heating Ti to <300 degrees, to break a glue bond. Its not Phosphorus. :)

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Hi,

Take a ziplock bag with ice chips in water and surround the nose of the cue creating a outside cool zone. Let this bag remain on the cue for 5 mins.

Wrap a copper wire on the pin end and another in the middle of the pin.

Now take a 30 amp battery charger and connect to wires to the + and -.

Turn on the charger and monitor the pins temperature. When the pin reaches 200 degrees turn off the power and try to rotate the pin with a vice grip to see if it will move just a hair.

Wait 5 minutes.

Now repeat the process over and over raising the temp by a 20 degree increment each time until the epoxy breaks down and the pin can be removed.

By keeping the water and ice chip bag on the cue OD and repeating those steps you can find the point where the epoxy fails without going way too hot over that critical point.

I would not use a torch. JMO.

By keeping the ice on and not going bananas with the heat, you can save the trouble of replacing the decor ring and joint collar because you ruined the bond there also. There is no guarantee however as you do not always know what kind of epoxy was used on the ring and joint collar.

Tricky business for sure.

Slow and steady wins the race IMO.

Rick
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA...you're a f@#k*n idiot....And I mean that with 'ALL DUE RESPECT' to the local 'genius' All you're going to do is probably kill or wound the only person that has supported your way of doing things...
Dave

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA...you're a f@#k*n idiot....And I mean that with 'ALL DUE RESPECT' to the local 'genius' All you're going to do is probably kill or wound the only person that has supported your way of doing things...
Dave

Dave,

Don't knock it if you have not tried it.

You could use a welding machine also to create the heat.

Dave, I used to cut steel underwater with 600 amps DC for 30 years without incident, I think I got this under control.

Rick

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Hi,

Take a ziplock bag with ice chips in water and surround the nose of the cue creating a outside cool zone. Let this bag remain on the cue for 5 mins.

Turn on the charger and monitor the pins temperature. When the pin reaches 200 degrees turn off the power and try to rotate the pin with a vice grip to see if it will move just a hair.

Wait 5 minutes.

Now repeat the process over and over raising the temp by a 20 degree increment each time until the epoxy breaks down and the pin can be removed.

By keeping the water and ice chip bag on the cue OD and repeating those steps you can find the point where the epoxy fails without going way too hot over that critical point.

I would not use a torch. JMO.

By keeping the ice on and not going bananas with the heat, you can save the trouble of replacing the decor ring and joint collar because you ruined the bond there also. There is no guarantee however as you do not always know what kind of epoxy was used on the ring and joint collar.

Tricky business for sure.

Slow and steady wins the race IMO.

Rick

Very interesting Rick............

Kim

RBC

Deceased
I think there's something missing here.

The thermal conductivity of Titanium is not that different than that of Stainless Steel, so it shouldn't require any different heating techniques than for Stainless. I don't think any battery chargers need to be involved. By the way, Rick, when you hook up that charger as you've described, it's a dead short for the charger. In my experience, dead shorts and battery chargers don't really get a long very well.

Now, if you've already put the torch to it, as you normally would, and it still hasn't come out, could it be that it wasn't glued in with 5 minute epoxy? Perhaps it was glued in with something that has a higher break down temperature. You may need to heat it up higher than you normally would for a pin installed with simple 5 minute epoxy. Most cue makers that I know personally use 5 minute for this task solely for the reason that it makes the pin easier to remove if need be.

Royce

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member

The thermal conductivity of Titanium is not that different than that of Stainless Steel, so it shouldn't require any different heating techniques than for Stainless. I don't think any battery chargers need to be involved. By the way, Rick, when you hook up that charger as you've described, it's a dead short for the charger. In my experience, dead shorts and battery chargers don't really get a long very well.

Now, if you've already put the torch to it, as you normally would, and it still hasn't come out, could it be that it wasn't glued in with 5 minute epoxy? Perhaps it was glued in with something that has a higher break down temperature. You may need to heat it up higher than you normally would for a pin installed with simple 5 minute epoxy. Most cue makers that I know personally use 5 minute for this task solely for the reason that it makes the pin easier to remove if need be.

Royce

Royce,

If you use a 30 amp charger in 60 amp boost mode the fusible link is delayed. The circuit bimetal fuse is beefer in that mode setting. I should have mentioned that in my first post, thanks for bring it up.

It don't much time to create heat in a small pin.:thumbup:

Rick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Royce
And with melting ice near the source of the short, it might get interesting .
Specially for the barefoot maker.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

... blah, blah blah

That is the most ridiculous and unnecessarily elaborate way to heat a pin I've ever read. Plus it is almost guaranteed to damage the joint face, and probably the joint collar as well. If it was coming from a skilled cuemaker with a track record of success I would be VERY impressed - with the cuemaker's sense of humor, that is. Considering the actual source, however, I can only say:

Ah ha ha. Ah ha ha ha ha ha. Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

TW
(PS: If you are working on a cue that has high value, and are worried about the effect of too much heat transferring from the pin to the surrounding wood, the safest way to remove a pin is as follows:

Drill out the center of the joint pin with a bit slightly smaller than the minor diameter of the pin itself. Now insert a mild-steel rod that closely fits the drilled hole for about the first one inch and then steps down to a small diameter for the rest of its length, allowing the smaller end of the rod rod to extend out of the pin by a couple of inches.

Grip the exterior of the joint pin with a pair of vice-grips, and rotate the chuck in reverse (by hand) until the vice-grips are braced against the lathe bed.

Using your right hand, heat the steel rod with a torch while constantly applying pressure with your left hand to rotate the chuck in reverse. When (if) the glue bond breaks down the joint pin will begin to unscrew from the cue and you can immediately pull the torch away and draw the steel rod out of the joint screw with a second set of pliers.

The reason this works is because it allows you to get the heat down into the section of the joint screw where the glue bond actually IS, without heating the exposed end of the pin so much that you damage the joint face or its surrounding collar. Regular steel conducts heat better than stainless steel and titanium, so by constantly applying unscrewing pressure against the pin - while heating it only where it matters - you will instantly know when it has gotten hot enough to remove, without applying so much heat as to damage the cue itself.)

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Dave,

Don't knock it if you have not tried it.

You could use a welding machine also to create the heat.

Dave, I used to cut steel underwater with 600 amps DC for 30 years without incident, I think I got this under control.

Rick

Welding equipment is MADE for welding...battery chargers are NOT. To offer advice like this is reckless endangerment...hopefully no one will even think of trying it. Make a video of you doing it to show how safe it is.......
Modern chargers have short circuit protection, but the split second that it'll possibly send current (up to 30 amps) if that fails to stop it fast enough.....poof

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just drill out the pin with a carbide drill and take your time...in less time than it takes to hook up all the other things talked about the pin will be gone! If you go slow no heat will reach the other critical areas of the front end.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Just drill out the pin with a carbide drill and take your time...in less time than it takes to hook up all the other things talked about the pin will be gone! If you go slow no heat will reach the other critical areas of the front end.

Cocoa,

If you drill the pin out you will exceed the heat required in the blind hole to melt the glue very fast.

I do it both ways drilling with brass and heat with harder materials.

I know I have a lot of critic wise guys but my method starts the heat process at 200 degrees and ramps up incrementally with a cool zone around the cue. A good idea as I see it!

For someone to say my method will ruin the front of the cue is just not thinking through the process clearly. At least I am monitoring the heat and ramping up incrementally. So I break the bond at the lowest possible heat point. No guess work with outer cooling to buffer the residual heat between the steps.

To nay the sayers, don't try my process I am sharing. It don't bother me at all.:boring2:

Good Cue Making to all,:smile:

Rick

Last edited: