anyone looking to put me in us open

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi everybody,i had a guy from hattiesburg ms tell me 2 weeks ago he wanted to put me in,well he cant now.anyway i figure this is a good way to reach out and find a backer.heres what i got in mind.give me a 1000 and we will split the money 60 percent me 40 percent you.or option b ,give me 1700 you get 60 percent i get 40. i have to give barry a answer by thurday evening so if someones interested please give me a pm .i figure since im posting our deal if i get one, that you will feel safe getting paid from me,since everyone can see what i have said.also if i make a deal with someone here, i will post your name if you like, with our arrangement so you will feel safe to get paid and everything .thanks for your time and talk to you guys later.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt said:
hi everybody,i had a guy from hattiesburg ms tell me 2 weeks ago he wanted to put me in,well he cant now.anyway i figure this is a good way to reach out and find a backer.heres what i got in mind.give me a 1000 and we will split the money 60 percent me 40 percent you.or option b ,give me 1700 you get 60 percent i get 40. i have to give barry a answer by thurday evening so if someones interested please give me a pm .i figure since im posting our deal if i get one, that you will feel safe getting paid from me,since everyone can see what i have said.also if i make a deal with someone here, i will post your name if you like, with our arrangement so you will feel safe to get paid and everything .thanks for your time and talk to you guys later.

Why do you want a backer, put up your own money and keep all the winnings. I wish I could invest like that, you put up the money take all the risk and I will split with you. If I believe in a project I don't want a partner, I either like the deal or I don't.

Last edited:

kybill9

Banned
John Schmidt

John, This is Kentucky from Miami living in Santa Cruz. Call me. I have made a lot of money with you in the Big L. Would love to do it some more.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Maybe John is a little short at the moment and waiting for a check......
Doug
(btw John, there is a U.S. Open section just three titles above this IPT section, you might post there)
I don't think that's the case, just pool player mentality.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey macguy

you know all the person who put up money could lose is like a 1000 or less.but lets say i win it they win like 20,30,thousand.its called gambling.and believe me ive bet on myself way more times than you at pool .so i dont need a speech from you.if you wanted to stake me great but if you dont why dont you shut the hell up for once with all your know it all bs.maybe you would like to play a set for like 1000000000000000000000,ill bet on myself then.you know ive read alot of things from you that are so jealous,negative and totally stupid as far as pool goes,.and by the way have you noticed that ive just went ballistic on you and even used my real name.you should try it sometime.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt said:
you know all the person who put up money could lose is like a 1000 or less.but lets say i win it they win like 20,30,thousand.its called gambling.and believe me ive bet on myself way more times than you at pool .so i dont need a speech from you.if you wanted to stake me great but if you dont why dont you shut the hell up for once with all your know it all bs.maybe you would like to play a set for like 1000000000000000000000,ill bet on myself then.you know ive read alot of things from you that are so jealous,negative and totally stupid as far as pool goes,.and by the way have you noticed that ive just went ballistic on you and even used my real name.you should try it sometime.
I was serious, why would you not want to take some of that IPT money you won and run it up, I don't think you are broke. Your silly challenges just tell me your pool game is the only thing you have going for you, grow up.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
macguy said:
I was serious, why would you not want to take some of that IPT money you won and run it up, .

MG,
Wow, there is going to be no one who thinks you are "serious" about "not knowing why" someone wants a backer. You are just stirring things up.

The player wants a backer as insurance if he does poorly (hell, it's 9-ball and anyone in the room can win any match if the breaks go their way - and I do mean the breaks). He is willing to accept less for winning in exchange for the security of not being out money at the end if things go badly.

The backer gets some action (it's called gambling in case you don't understand that concept either - you put money down in hopes of gaining some more if your horse does well). He also gets to hang around with some of the pro's and make himself feel more important than he really is (I know firsthand:) ).

I doubt many people are going to think any less of the pro or the backer. This "insurance" concept that seems so foreign or disreputable to you is actually a sound one - Mutual of Omaha has made a fortune on it. The gambling concept seems to be pretty popular too.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
How much is the entry fee to the US Open? I thought it was $500 but sounds like I am wrong.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Easy John...

I have had the pleasure of watching you play a couple of years ago up here in Vancouver. Observing the way you conducted yourself was very impressive. Some background for those on the board John ran into a Hot breaking player who plays great but was "ON"...really ON. Every break made balls and had the one up and available. Regardless of what happened he always made the tough shot and somehow no matter what collided with what got on the next ball. John got torched 9:0 or 9:1 (I can't remember). John simply put out his hand and said, "Go shooting, well done".

John had the self confidence to know he would overcome. Well two matches later he's back in the final against the same player and won convincingly. Came up like a gentlemen and took down the cash like one.

John you have come to this forum to advertise your willingness to be backed. I'm not a purest (no advertising) but what does this have to do with the IPT? You post in public and the public have the right to question you. What if Macguy was 6-6, 320lbs Kickboxer...would you challenge him to a fight.

Looks like you've gotten a couple of offers...job done. Macguy has his rights as well and I think he was asking a question not mocking you.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Nick: Macguy was mocking him...trying to show his moral superiority.

Well done to John who put him in his place.

There's nothing wrong for a player to get a backer as a form of insurance, so long as that player gives his all. Plenty obviously trust John in this regard.

Colin

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt said:

John. check your pm, please.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is here asking for a backer. If a person is not going to back John, may be he can leave him alone.
In my opinion, John is simply making a business proposal to the public--the backer can have a chance to make some money off John in the US Open by putting up some money. I see no reason to mock John or to question why he does not want to play with his own money.
I hope John can make it to the Open, and do real well.:)
Take care,
Richard

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Backing John Schmidt

I backed him before and I'll do it again. No problem. I'm glad to have a good horse that has a chance to win it all.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
To Nick: Macguy was mocking him...trying to show his moral superiority.

Well done to John who put him in his place.

There's nothing wrong for a player to get a backer as a form of insurance, so long as that player gives his all. Plenty obviously trust John in this regard.

Colin

Wait a minute, a guy who plays his speed and he won't even put up the money to play himself? Remember he said he has to give Barry an answer meaning if someone won't stake him he isn't playing, that is ridiculous, I'm sorry. This is the future of professional pool, even players who have a chance to win don't want to pay?

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
macguy said:
Wait a minute, a guy who plays his speed and he won't even put up the money to play himself? Remember he said he has to give Barry an answer meaning if someone won't stake him he isn't playing, that is ridiculous, I'm sorry. This is the future of professional pool, even players who have a chance to win don't want to pay?

That's the facts of pool life. Even the great Effie have his own set of backers, so do Busta and the rest of the the Filipino big guns.
You could be sitting on top of the world today, and begging for alms the next morning. That's pool life, easy come, easy goes.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
his business

It is John's business why he is looking for a backer. He came looking, he seems to have found several willing people. Had timing been different I'd have offered too. At this moment I am gambling on a new business and I don't have another thousand of floating money to bet on John's finish. I do think that for those that like to gamble, this is a bet with great odds.

Hu

macguy said:

Riggers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish all those sad people that have nothing better to do than make unwelcome judgements against John Schmidt would just keep their mouths shut and go post somewhere else. He's offered himself to a potential backer, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, so if you are a potential backer speak up, otherwise leave him alone, go start your own thread and moan about something else instead of poking your nose into his business.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
macguy said:
Let me step you through it if you don't understand...

Let's say, that players of John's calibre are 3 to 1 on for getting their money back at the tourney. No one likes walking out of most tournies with a loss, so if the insurance is available, even if one has a bit of cash tucked away, it makes the trip more attractive.

The backer is likely getting odds that are better than they could get from any bookie on site, plus they get the satisfaction of being in the horses stable so to say, and knowing that the horse is running for them.

Run through all these odds and you may find both are better off with this deal based on net expected returns.

Colin

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
Let me step you through it if you don't understand...

Let's say, that players of John's calibre are 3 to 1 on for getting their money back at the tourney. No one likes walking out of most tournies with a loss, so if the insurance is available, even if one has a bit of cash tucked away, it makes the trip more attractive.

The backer is likely getting odds that are better than they could get from any bookie on site, plus they get the satisfaction of being in the horses stable so to say, and knowing that the horse is running for them.

Run through all these odds and you may find both are better off with this deal based on net expected returns.

Colin

It's a good thing everybody doesn't think like that or there would be no tournaments period. Look at what you sunk into the IPT and you had no chance to be in the top 100 but you played for the sport of it. Doesn't playing the sport come first the chance to compete, or is it just about money? They only play the US Open once a year and that title is a nice thing to have how could someone just dismiss playing because they don't want to pay an entry fee?

Either way I should have been out of here Monday and today is Thursday and unless I get a DSL line up at the property I won't have the pleasure of reading your answer for a month or so. I will leave you with this though, most pool players have nothing and never will because they are always waiting to that elusive handout instead of taking control of and responsibility for their lives.