If you won Powerball would you make a pro tour?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the Powerball 900 million tonight, would you do anything with pool if you won?

Maybe start a new pro tour, 10 stops 100k per stop, and a 500k season finale?
Maybe give the money to existing promoters so they can do the above, but under their brands instead of a new brand?
Start a chain of pool halls?
Something else?

I can see a few sides:
1. You love pool and will spend the money knowing its a long term money losing idea.
2. You do not contribute at all since it is a money losing idea.
3. You hire the best business people to try to turn it into a money making idea?

Thoughts of this fantasy?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'd sponsor the American Open.
LA Open.
NY Open.
Texas Open.
WPBA.
World 10-Ball.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I would not.
The top players would all make deals to chop the money before the first rack is broke.

Reactions: mia

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The ONLY way that a pro tour would work other than with a total gift horse just giving money away is for the 'Pros' to have owners interest in it.

They need to be an Assoc. that owns it outright or in partnership with another entity.

The models are there in the PGA of Am, & with Pro Tennis.

They have always been too self centered to make any sacrifice for the future.

Just My 2 cent opinion.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I happen to think pool can be prosperous. But it takes money to make money in this instance. With the right amount of money you could literally OWN pool as a sport.

And with that ownership you could produce content that is desireable for network television. You could build a wide base of amateur players who have a clear path to the pros to fund a pro tour.

I'd be willing to invest millions to build out my ideas. But not if doing so would bust me. Only if losing 20 million over five years wouldn't matter. If I couldn't make it work into a very profitable entity with 20 million in seed money then I wouldn't keep going.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Sustainable System

I would but it would be only open to pros willing to work to promote it.

I would and I would take it straight to the Pool Rooms to support it.

I would organize the rooms in such a way that they would be able to get week long events for their added money. This way when they got it they could make it back and profit as well.

If people don't profit nothing works and added money is useless. The idea of a pro tour is working professionals supporting room owners who have the room and want the events.

What would pool be like if we had rooms that wanted the events? They already have the tables, the lights etc. All they need is the missing pieces and boom.....I guess you could call that a tour because it would build into something more than just a tournament, just don't put events on top of one another.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
With the Powerball 900 million tonight, would you do anything with pool if you won?

Maybe start a new pro tour, 10 stops 100k per stop, and a 500k season finale?
Maybe give the money to existing promoters so they can do the above, but under their brands instead of a new brand?
Start a chain of pool halls?
Something else?

I can see a few sides:
1. You love pool and will spend the money knowing its a long term money losing idea.
2. You do not contribute at all since it is a money losing idea.
3. You hire the best business people to try to turn it into a money making idea?

Thoughts of this fantasy?

Probably #3. And I'd hire iusedtoberich to run it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I would not.
The top players would all make deals to chop the money before the first rack is broke.

If it was a legitimate tour or league, they could establish rules against such actions.

I know if I had a pro tour there would be no chopping, no savers, none of it.

asiasdad

Banned
I would create a state of the art pool room...have only one pocket
tournaments and bankrupt it in 3 years for tax purposes...change
the business name...go another 3 years....and repeat...and repeat.

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strsight pool tournament! No entry fee. 1 million dollar first prize. 100k to all top 10. No other prizes. Races to 500. To 1000 for the last 2.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
No.

I'd spend the money developing more family friendly pool environments, working with local clubs and civic organizations around the country on charity tournaments, destination events for league players, local youth leagues, community classes and anything I perceived would increase the consumer base for pool.

Those people would in turn buy more products from manufacturers and watch pro events on streaming/espn3/etc. and create more demand. The smart and savvy business people would capitalize on that and grow their businesses. The increase in demand and benefits from economies of scale would translate to a more lucrative tournament and sponsorship environment and get more top pros paid what they're worth.

In short, I would do my best to foster the same environment that make other participation sports successful.

I wouldn't feel satisfied until these forums were overloaded with people complaining they can't get table time because the business men, soccer moms and teenagers all seem to be playing in the pool halls all hours of the day and evening.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
I seriously would. I would begin by creating a handful of 4 to 6 family oriented membership based pool rooms in selected major cities across the country. Once the room concept was tested and proven successful I would expand with another additional dozen rooms and franchise the concept. I would devote an initial 5 years to create and test the membership based pool room model and get the initial rooms setup across the country.

Each room in each city would establish junior pool programs in conjunction with the local school districts. Each room would hold multiple regional championship events throughout the year. Each room would include some 3 cushion and snooker tables to expand interest in those respective games. Tournament events throughout the year would include 8, 9 and 10 ball, American Rotation, Straight Pool, 1 pocket, 3 cushion and Snooker. 8 games, 8 regional tournament events each year per room. At the end of the year all regional event winners would compete in an all games national pool grand championship.

Once enough rooms were successfully running across the country with multiple regional events occurring throughout the year you would have a natural tour of events on the schedule for each year.

The national office of my business would also sponsor a challenge cup that would be competed for among the top pro players throughout the year. I would call it the Greenleaf Cup. 3 to 4 times a year the top pro players would compete to win the cup.

I have alot of specific design ideas and food services ideas for my room concepts.

Earlier this evening I took my mother out for dinner. We went to the local Olive Garden first, and the place was packed, and we were on a 30 minute wait list to get a table. We didnt want to wait, so we went to the local Texas Road House. We got in there quicker but by the time we were leaving they were dealing with a 30 minute wait list for people coming in. Each of these chains offer their customers great food, a unique theme, for a wonderful dining experience. And every time I find myself in such a place my thought always come around to the idea that wouldnt it be cool to have a pool room/restaurant operation that was always so busy. Yet trying to find such a pool room operation in my neck of the woods is impossible.

Anyways I got my powerball ticket bought for tonight. I put my prayers out into the universe.

wild8bill9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
world class junior program.

There are programs out there, some good, some not so much.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You Might as well add that you win or take 2nd in every event, and then after the season finale, you poop out the cure for cancer- which, believe it or not, also cures baldness.

I seriously would. I would begin by creating a handful of 4 to 6 family oriented membership based pool rooms in selected major cities across the country. Once the room concept was tested and proven successful I would expand with another additional dozen rooms and franchise the concept. I would devote an initial 5 years to create and test the membership based pool room model and get the initial rooms setup across the country.

Each room in each city would establish junior pool programs in conjunction with the local school districts. Each room would hold multiple regional championship events throughout the year. Each room would include some 3 cushion and snooker tables to expand interest in those respective games. Tournament events throughout the year would include 8, 9 and 10 ball, American Rotation, Straight Pool, 1 pocket, 3 cushion and Snooker. 8 games, 8 regional tournament events each year per room. At the end of the year all regional event winners would compete in an all games national pool grand championship.

Once enough rooms were successfully running across the country with multiple regional events occurring throughout the year you would have a natural tour of events on the schedule for each year.

The national office of my business would also sponsor a challenge cup that would be competed for among the top pro players throughout the year. I would call it the Greenleaf Cup. 3 to 4 times a year the top pro players would compete to win the cup.

I have alot of specific design ideas and food services ideas for my room concepts.

Earlier this evening I took my mother out for dinner. We went to the local Olive Garden first, and the place was packed, and we were on a 30 minute wait list to get a table. We didnt want to wait, so we went to the local Texas Road House. We got in there quicker but by the time we were leaving they were dealing with a 30 minute wait list for people coming in. Each of these chains offer their customers great food, a unique theme, for a wonderful dining experience. And every time I find myself in such a place my thought always come around to the idea that wouldnt it be cool to have a pool room/restaurant operation that was always so busy. Yet trying to find such a pool room operation in my neck of the woods is impossible.

Anyways I got my powerball ticket bought for tonight. I put my prayers out into the universe.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro tour/ powerball

I would seriously change the future of pool. And it would end up with different tiers of playing ability. The top level could be the pro level.

The bulk of time and money would be spent on infrastructure and unification of rules- all using FargoRate., there would be serious conduct guidelines.

I firmly believe pool can be sustainable - but it needs consistency, junior, amateur and pro players. There must be criteria on who is a pro, a strong rules and organization- with players rights.

We would become a major WPA affiliate and make 5 year commitment for several world championships. Also acquire real sponsors and get real coverage.

$20 million should be sufficient - so Barton and Griffin have about the same parameters in reference to money and time. My plans are way more complete and cover a whole lot more. But we would increase our management team and everyone could see how all our existing concepts would dovetail together and have an industry!!!!

Mark Griffin

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolrooms

I'd have a FREE lottery and award a complete poolroom to 1 person per state. Build it,equip it, do the ad campaign and supply one full year of operating capital. After that, they're on their own.