Creating a new app for pool players, looking for feedback + suggestions

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Availability update. http://m.chalkysticks.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

I was on here a little while ago with the PoolPad diagrammer. There's been something more elaborate in the works, all part of an ecosystem I call ChalkySticks. Looking for some feedback / thoughts from the players about the direction. It's currently in a testing phase; if you're in New York City and want to try it, let me know. (for some reason I can't reply to DMs. I can read them though.)

ChalkySticks connects you to new players and lets you discover tables in your area. We build tools and provide information to help you improve your game.

Promotional Site + Screenshots

There's a demo video of it being used here on my YouTube channel so you can have a better understanding of how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdOZu9TBDOI

promo-1.jpg

The first major reason to use it is finding someone else around you that wants to play. I have a lot of pool playing friends in many neighborhoods; it's hard to keep track of where and when they're playing. There's also a lot of players I don't know.

ChalkySticks gives you the ability to set a beacon at your location, which essentially says, "Hey guys, I'm here near you and I wanna play right now." Anyone can see a list of how close they are to others that want to play. You check the list and, hey, someone named Joe is 0.50mi away from me and wants a game. Send him a message and find a place to play.

Sometimes I find myself texting John, Gary, Bob, Dave, and Pat all together "Hey, any of you want to play?" but it feels like that must get annoying after a while. The beacon is a nice passive way of letting everyone else know that you're down to jam.

promo-2.jpg

Secondly, it has a growing list of pool halls, bars, and hotels all across America. Right now it has about 500, but still needs work. I know the places in my area, but going out of town or to a different neighborhood is a different story. Send me down to Texas and I don't know which places have a good table. This provides pictures, location based searching, details about the place, and more. You can also Check-in to the bar to let others know you're there.

Search through a list of nearby places to find the one you prefer for the mood you're in. A busy place with many checkins, a dive bar for some drinks and casual games, a hall to place a bit more seriously, etc.

promo-3.jpg

For consuming content when you're bored, there's an ever-growing gallery of videos and clips to watch while you're out. I'll also be implementing certain PoolPad diagrams into it so you'll have a long list of shots / situations to try.

---------

In the near future, it will let halls/bars host tournaments, manage the bracket, and players can view the bracket through their phone and even register with $$ in advance.

In the further future, it will let players manage a team and stats. That team + stats could be applied to any league; APA, NAPL, BCA, etc.

----------

Anyway, not sure how you guys are with promotional posts around here so I hope it's not annoying. All feedback is welcome, positive and negative. Trying to gather interest, ideas, and such. I'm currently working on testing this in Manhattan. If you want to be a part of it, let me know and I'll try to coordinate something.

I'll also need help from people in different states to fill out some content, if people are interested.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SlashingAxe

Pool newbie
Silver Member
This sounds awesome! Especially for someone new like me who doesn't have any pool friends or know good pool halls. Can't wait til it gets out of development so I can try in California

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pretty good idea with the location beacon! people get to know some spots to go to.

i like it. what if you have a seperate rank option with leader boards? what if you mede kinda like your online gamer account but for pool. that may be a pretty cool addition.

Last edited:

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm also looking for some people in different areas with experience in using content management systems / websites. They'll be able to help with adding new bars / pool halls / photos.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm also looking for some people in different areas with experience in using content management systems / websites. They'll be able to help with adding new bars / pool halls / photos.
I can help you out with bars / pool halls in our area.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can help you out with bars / pool halls in our area.

That'd be great. I spent a bit of time Friday working on permissions in the CMS to allow others to use it. (without ability to destroy other stuff accidentally/intentionally) The whole system works, just trying to make sure rogue users don't go through and delete things they shouldn't.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
ambitious... gonna be a lot of work but if it comes out as hoped, it would be very useful.

You may want to split this into separate apps. One app for matchmaking / pool room finding. One app for diagrams and drills. One app for videos.

Or, honestly, no app for videos... they're all over youtube... and you only have so much time and effort to invest. Would rather see that effort in making the other features better, vs. any spent on videos which is redundant.

There may also be some financial advantage to one app vs. many, but it would take some research.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ambitious... gonna be a lot of work but if it comes out as hoped, it would be very useful.

You may want to split this into separate apps. One app for matchmaking / pool room finding. One app for diagrams and drills. One app for videos.

Or, honestly, no app for videos... they're all over youtube... and you only have so much time and effort to invest. Would rather see that effort in making the other features better, vs. any spent on videos which is redundant.

There may also be some financial advantage to one app vs. many, but it would take some research.

Will probably be opening up a version of the mobile website later tonight. iOS app and Android apps will follow as soon as we get approval from the stores. Windows app will be shortly after that.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give it a shot

The beta is sort of ready for you to play with
Go to http://www.chalkysticks.com on your phone.

The mobile apps aren't available yet, but you can use the mobile website on your iOS / Android / Windows device. You obviously won't receive push notifications on beacons or messages, but you should still be able to use both.

There is a fair amount of locations added to the database currently, but you probably won't find many places with images outside of New York City. I'm trying to coordinate people together to help build that out.

If you have questions / feedback... you can send them to me at either matt@chalkysticks.com or feedback@chalkysticks.com

SlashingAxe

Pool newbie
Silver Member
How has this fared so far as this was a great idea and I still have no pool friends in Cali and would love to have someone to play with

strokenpoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend created an app called action hound ... different from this app but we'll worth checking out

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk