Rodney's cue?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. Heard commen. say he just got it. Sweet for sure. He's always played his best with a steel-jointed cue.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what it was too. It was old school and exactly the style I like. Simple and elegant. Don't need a lot of fancy stuff on a cue IMHO.

It reminded me of a 4-point ebony cue I had Richard Black make for me back in 1978. Same style as old original Balabushkas and Szambotis.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lomax was in Chat for a bit asking the same question because of his OB deal and he was def not playing an OB. They concluded it was a SW with pred shaft.

I personally cannot be 100% certain but it was discussed on Chat and by the boys in the booth.

-Kat,

sys_argv

Registered
Lomax was in Chat for a bit asking the same question because of his OB deal and he was def not playing an OB. They concluded it was a SW with pred shaft.

I personally cannot be 100% certain but it was discussed on Chat and by the boys in the booth.

-Kat,

Wasn't that Mike Dechaine? I remember was watching three different live-streams so I am now very confused. :scratchhead:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Wasn't that Mike Dechaine? I remember was watching three different live-streams so I am now very confused. :scratchhead:

You're right.
Think it came up during the Dechaine-Davis match on the Upstate Al AZBtv stream of the Empire State tournament.

I didn't watch the Swanee at all.

Seemed like people in chat were kinda blowing their wads with excitement thinking..."IT'S A SOUTHWEST WITH A PREDATOR SHAFT!!"

Like who the heck gets that excited over a frickin cue that someone else owns? :rolleyes:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Times have changed, I guess. Rodney had shot with the same cue since 1994, a Szamboti. With the new pool cue technology, maybe newer is better?

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't need a lot of fancy stuff on a cue IMHO.

Couldn't agree more.
My favorite cues actually are plain janes. Maple and some dark wood for the grip section, I like wrapless.
I love it that I can take my plain jane super awesome playing cue with me anywhere I play and no one cares or even looks at it twice.
Fancy decorations all over the place and lots of eyes are on it.

sys_argv

Registered
Couldn't agree more.
My favorite cues actually are plain janes. Maple and some dark wood for the grip section, I like wrapless.
I love it that I can take my plain jane super awesome playing cue with me anywhere I play and no one cares or even looks at it twice.

Could not agree more. I can see the attraction for veneers, points and what have you, since plain cues are well... plain.
However, give me a nicely figured birdseye with an ebony or dark bocote/cocobolo handle and I am in cue heaven. wraps meh!

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Couldn't agree more.

I agree. Being a cabinetmaker by trade I work with all sorts of wood species and just like in my business with ornate wood details I'm not a fan of a pile of inlays and detail. I definitely do appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into creating the art but it isn't for me. I love seeing walnut burls, curly/tiger and Birdseye maples and am still a sucker for rift cut and quarter cut material used in all types of species. If I were to have veneer points incorporated it would be a couple vibrate coloured points into ebony. It's the perfection in craftsmanship that I like, simple and timeless but attention to detail no matter how simple that I appreciate most.

That being said. I'd take a szambotti or a Tasc any day of the week. You can't go wrong with either of those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: